Any way to stop feeling really tired at around 2:30 pm?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There's a reason many countries do siesta in the middle of the day. I get a little sleepy in the afternoon too if I'm not doing something active (and with my job most days I'm not doing anything active).

Caffeine is really the only thing that works for me. Coffee, Diet Mtn Dew, etc.
  • NinnianeOfAvalon
    Options
    No, B6, B12, and D3 are vitamins. Getting out and getting some sunshine can help with the D vitamin, which can make you feel more energetic. Another thought, rather than eating more of your calories more often is to make your lunch your heaviest calorie meal and make dinner lighter.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No, B6, B12, and D3 are vitamins. Getting out and getting some sunshine can help with the D vitamin, which can make you feel more energetic. Another thought, rather than eating more of your calories more often is to make your lunch your heaviest calorie meal and make dinner lighter.

The heavier my lunch, the stronger my urge to sleep shortly thereafter.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

The heavier my lunch, the stronger my urge to sleep shortly thereafter.
    I would think that would be the case.

That advice confused me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    B6, B12, D3

are these apartment numbers?

*snort*
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Some days I grab an 8 ounce Red Bull, some days it's a Mt Dew, some days I need a triple espresso with chocolate syrup...

...and then there's those days when I reserve a "huddle room" (small meeting area), grab two chairs, something soft, set an alarm, and take a 20 minute power nap.
  • jbueza
    jbueza Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me all the time because I'd have relatively large sushi meals at lunch. I switched to salads and more carb-heavy stuff in the evenings and now my work days are a lot better. Hope that helps!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Me too. It's just part of the sleep cycle. I really don't know if you can fight it. You could work with it, by taking a 15-20min nap at that time. Some non-caffeine cognitive herbs may help alertness, such as gingko. The drink Kombucha (GT Dave's is a winner) helps alertness a lot without bashing your CNS or making you awake at night.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    fat and protein....healthy fats.....mono and poly fats
  • RhysWill_I_Ams
    Options
    "Thanks! I generally just go for oatmeal because it's quick, cheap, easy, and very filling. I honestly have no idea what to have for breakfast if it's not cereal, yogurt, or oatmeal. Eggs are too much work and dirty a pan. And I'm vegetarian, and am trying to be vegan every other day (a totally random self-imposed challenge) so... rrgh."

You can make scrambled eggs in the microwave! And eat it from the same bowl which is quick and easy. Also might be worth one day like boiling up a batch of eggs. That way each morning you've got a snack or quick breakfast as well as your oats.

Another option is Almond butter or good quality Peanut butter on wholemeal toast with a banana. Good source of fats potassium and protein. Plus Almond butter controls your blood sugar so you won't be dipping towards mid afternoon.

Good luck and hope this was helpful
  • MinMin97
    Options
    I would suggest eating more calories overall. Calories are energy, your diary says you'll barely top 1000 today.

Eat more protien. Maybe have a handful of nuts or dry roasted edamame (my favorite) when you start feeling tired.

And be sure you are getting enough sleep.
    Huh! Sure enough. I think that's not enough cals. I'm 45yo and need 2000 cals. I don't know your stats, but probably you are young and probably active, consider eating another meal at least.
  • meglizbo
    Options
    If you eat grain based carbs for lunch then you will have a glucose induced insulin crash...I'm not saying to stop eating it completely (although you can if you'd like!), but if you reserve it for the evening you may find it easier to stay awake during the day!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You eat a ton of carbs and almost no protein before dinner (and still way too little even including dinner) If I have to eat that many carbs I will be sleeping on my desk by 2:30......Cut down on the carbs and trow in some more protein for breakfast and lunch - you will se a difference reaaly fast....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,032 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more calories overall. Calories are energy, your diary says you'll barely top 1000 today.

Eat more protien. Maybe have a handful of nuts or dry roasted edamame (my favorite) when you start feeling tired.

Huh! Sure enough. I think that's not enough cals. I'm 45yo and need 2000 cals. I don't know your stats, but probably you are young and probably active, consider eating another meal at least.

Absolutely agree.

You look young - you only have 15ish pounds to lose, and your calories are set to 1320 a day - and you're not even eating those.

Plus your food is heavy in carbs and low in protein (and why aren't you tracking fat? - fat is important stuff).

So, set your goals here to "Lose 1/2 (or 1) pound per week." That should give you more food. When you exercise, eat those calories "earned" too.

Eat all your food, hit your protein every day. Fewer sugary foods will help you keep your energy up. Sugary foods are contributing to that mid-afternoon crash and you aren't eating enough in general.

*edit for grammar
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Absolutely agree.

You look young - you only have 15ish pounds to lose, and your calories are set to 1320 a day - and you're not even eating those.

Plus your food is heavy in carbs and low in protein (and why aren't you tracking fat? - fat is important stuff).

So, set your goals here to "Lose 1/2 (or 1) pound per week." That should give you more food. When you exercise, eat those calories "earned" too.

Eat all your food, hit your protein every day. Fewer sugary foods will help you keep your energy up. Sugary foods are contributing to that mid-afternoon crash and you aren't eating enough in general.

*edit for grammar

Thanks for the advice! I am really following a 1200 calorie/day plan, but I set it to 1310 to give me some buffer in case I want an extra snack or something. I am young-ish but not particularly active, and I think I just naturally have a slow metabolism. I really think that 1200-1300 calories a day is fine for me. I will try to keep an eye on carbs (as a vegetarian it's really easy to consume a lot of carbs!!), and I took out fat because there's not enough room on the widget :P and I wanted to keep particular tabs on my fiber intake.

Do you include fruit as "sugary foods"? Because I actually have been snacking on fruit quite a bit lately.
  • swimnwalk
    Options
  • MinMin97
    Options

Absolutely agree.

*edit for grammar

Thanks for the advice! I am really following a 1200 calorie/day plan, but I set it to 1310 to give me some buffer in case I want an extra snack or something. I am young-ish but not particularly active, and I think I just naturally have a slow metabolism. I really think that 1200-1300 calories a day is fine for me. I will try to keep an eye on carbs (as a vegetarian it's really easy to consume a lot of carbs!!), and I took out fat because there's not enough room on the widget :P and I wanted to keep particular tabs on my fiber intake.

Do you include fruit as "sugary foods"? Because I actually have been snacking on fruit quite a bit lately.
    Not to be argumentative, but just to say:
    You should not have a slow metabolism, you should have good muscle mass and energy. The way to get energy is to create a demand in your body FOR energy, and you do that by exercising. Your body will promptly respond by producing more energy for the next time you exercise. Some cardio to increase strength of your heart and lungs, and lifting to increase/maintain muscle mass. This is how you get energy and metabolism. But you must fuel your machine for the things you do. So if you don't have the energy to exercise, you need to fuel the exercise by eating something. Hope this helps!:)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Add more protein and less starch to your morning meals. This has made a world of difference for my husband, and he isn't even trying to lose weight.

Eat all of your calories more often.

Thanks! I generally just go for oatmeal because it's quick, cheap, easy, and very filling. I honestly have no idea what to have for breakfast if it's not cereal, yogurt, or oatmeal. Eggs are too much work and dirty a pan. And I'm vegetarian, and am trying to be vegan every other day (a totally random self-imposed challenge) so... rrgh.

Would you consider eating a tofu scramble for breakfast? Appetite for Reduction has a yummy one in it, and it's vegan, so it should fit your self-imposed challenge.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Working a desk job while I was pregnant, and trying to cut down on caffeine, I discovered the combo that helped me the most- a large glass of ice-cold water, and a very short brisk walk. I'd just walk the building for 5-10 minutes to get my blood flowing. I found that prevented another slump later from caffeine crash.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    When I get tired I go hit the stairs. After 4-5 times up six flights of stairs you won't be tired....you will be energized!!!!