How do you eat your veggies?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I need to eat more veggies. Typically, we buy frozen veggies, nuke them, and I add some salt and pepper on them. They don't really fill me up unless I have protein with them though...

So... advice? Easy/fast recipes or ideas would be great.

Replies

• Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    As salads. Roasted with a little olive oil. Sauteed with broth and again, a little olive oil. Steamed. In stews and soups. Pickled. Stir-fried with protein. Sometimes raw. But almost never frozen and then nuked with no seasoning other than salt and pepper. That's not a good way to make peace with vegetables.

Give me a hint what veggies you like and I'll make more specific suggestions.
  • pitchf0rk
    pitchf0rk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like to eat scrambled eggs with a lot of veggies. You can add anything you want. Things I like a lot in there are: tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, onions, spring onions, leek, peppers, mushrooms ... just mix anything you have in the fridge. You can also ad a bit of bacon or ham

I also love to eat zucchini pasta. That's zucchini cut into spaghettis and you can eat it with any sauce you would also use with pasta.
  • kathyflannery129
    kathyflannery129 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i use fresh veg, steam them and add some lemon pepper...i try and avoid or really limit my salt intake....brocolli, asparagus and love brussels sprouts......
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I like to put things like kale and spinach into smoothies and on my sandwiches/wraps. And I always puree sauce that I make, so I can add a lot of veggies to sauces. Salsa verde (or variations of any green sauce), marinara sauce, cauliflower alfredo, butternut squash mac n cheese, etc. I also like to add them to pasta dishes. Broccoli and peas in mac and cheese is a classic and it's always yummy. I also use zucchini as pasta and my picky father even liked that! Then there are snack ways. Sweet potato fries, carrot fries, kale chips, zucchini chips. As desserts, carrots and sweet potatoes add a lot of sweetness. I've also had avocado chocolate mousse and it was wonderful.
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Salads - easy at the cafeteria and the grocers. For hot vegies, I have the "soy or ponzu sauce" version and the "red sauce" version, and in goes whatever I have on hand.

For "soy" it could be any or all: cabbage, carrots, pea pods, peppers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms with nuts or chicken.

For the "red" it is likely to be zucchini, summer squash, onion, pepper, mushrooms, asparagus and pine nuts maybe a smidge of cheese.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    As salads. Roasted with a little olive oil. Sauteed with broth and again, a little olive oil. Steamed. In stews and soups. Pickled. Stir-fried with protein. Sometimes raw. But almost never frozen and then nuked with no seasoning other than salt and pepper. That's not a good way to make peace with vegetables.

Give me a hint what veggies you like and I'll make more specific suggestions.

Everything but celery, mushrooms, artichokes pretty much, lol.

How do you make salads with veggies? Short of lettuce, tomato (I know, not a veggie) and cucumbers...

I use spinach/peppers with eggs a lot.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    KLQIB.gif
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I like to eat scrambled eggs with a lot of veggies. You can add anything you want. Things I like a lot in there are: tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, onions, spring onions, leek, peppers, mushrooms ... just mix anything you have in the fridge. You can also ad a bit of bacon or ham

I'm making the eggs with veggies and bacon tonight :) It's one of my favourite dinners.

I also love roasting up a mess of vegetables and using with whatever.

I do a pasta primavera with pine nuts where I roast red peppers, garlic, and tomatoes; then I use a bit of avocado oil to toast the pine nuts, add in onions til translucent, then toss in other chopped vegetables (artichoke hearts, squash, zucchini, eggplant, bok coy, carrots, celery, spinach, kale, broccoli, cauliflower....these are all the ones I've used in varying quantities and mixes in the past), turn the heat to medium low, cover, and let them sort of steam. Stir in the roasted vegetables. Cook the pasta and drain. Toss with pesto sauce. Put a small amount of pasta in a bowl, sprinkle with asiago, put large spoonfuls of the vegetable-pine nut mixture on top, sprinkle a bit more asiago, and voila....loads of vegetables cooked awesomely.

I love trying to make vegetables the biggest part of my plate and finding new taste combos. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I roast or saute most of mine. I also eat around 250 grams of mixed vegetables raw pretty much daily...usually with humus. My favorites:
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    How do you make salads with veggies? Short of lettuce, tomato (I know, not a veggie) and cucumbers...

I use baby kale, baby spinach, or one of those organic mixtures of 'power greens' in lieu of lettuce to start. Carrots, radishes, cucumbers, tomato, onion, bell pepper, celery, avocado, sugar snap peas or snow peas or green beans. Some people like broccoli or cauliflower on their salads, but I'm not fond of those vegetables raw - I'd rather roast.

I make a massive bowl like this a couple times a week, and depending on my calorie allotment remainder, I don't skimp on the roasted bourbon chicken deli meat from Fred Meyer (my current favourite) or the Tillamook extra sharp cheddar.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    - steamed
    - stir fried
    - boiled and cream into a cream soup :) YUM
    - baked
    - grilled
    - raw
    - fried
    - disguised as other foods like the broccoli mash in place of mashed potato

I love my veggies any which way lol
  • Clearly with a side of red vino while in the buff:bigsmile:
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    In my giant salads mostly.

When I cook with them I put them in frying pan with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Put it on medium heat for a few minutes (they're usually frozen).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Roasting is my favorite. Just toss with olive oil and cook in a hot oven until brown and crispy.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Heathyranne pretty much answered for me. I'll throw in whatever leftover veggies are around from last night's dinner: steamed broccoli, sauteed beans, a few stray brussel sprouts...In "garden season" things get crazier because I'll use a little bit of whatever is on hand.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I put them i my mouth and chew...

More seriously, I accompany vegetables with whatever else I am cooking. Salads.

Side dishes will be things like mushroom and beans fried in a little oil with garlic, salt and pepper.

Otherwise i try to incorporate the veges into the main dish. making a curry? I just add lots of veges. I find frozen veges great for this kind of cooking. Basically any dish I am making I think "What veges can I add to this?"

Spinach goes well in pasta.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Today I made:
    greek yogurt cucumber salad (tzatziki)
    eggplant, carmelized onion and mint spread
    All went into greek flatbread with red bell pepper, and kalamata olives and rolled up. MMMMMmmmmmMMM!
  • BillyJan1992
    BillyJan1992 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I dip them either in ranch or homemade ranch or in some kind of salad dressing. I love broccoli and carrots straight from the fridge
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you use a lot of frozen veg AND you cook pasta, you can do what I do. Add frozen vegetables to the pasta water a minute before you take it off the heat and drain it. It doesn't get overcooked that way and it's super convenient. It also bulks up whatever dish you are preparing so you don't have to use as much pasta if you are trying to cut back a little. You can either cool it for pasta salad or just put whatever you were going to put on the hot pasta. Built in vegetable servings! I also put frozen veg in casseroles. Plain cooked frozen veg by itself is not my favorite. I generally do not eat it. Fresh veg gets roasted, grilled, stir fried or most often, eaten raw in things like salads or with hummus.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sauteed with a bit of butter/oil and julienned onion, chopped shallot or garlic, S & P (this works with leafy greens and quicker cooking veggies or those where you may still want them partially crisp)
    Roasted and seasoned with herbs/spices
    Steamed and seasoned with herbs/spices/S & P
    Mashed with herbs and a bit of stock (works well for most root veggies and cauliflower)
    Raw in salads with nuts and seeds and vinaigrette (can even make your whole meal the salad with your protien source added)
    Raw with dip (ie hummous)
    Hidden in smoothies (greens like spinach and baby kale are great additions to smoothies)
    Soups
    In dishes that also contain fruit (seasoned roasted halved brussels sprouts, basil and pomegranate gems is a winter favourite for me)

Adding herbs (fresh or dry), spices, vinegars and cooking with onion/garlic/shallot can make a world of difference when you're cooking veggies.