Do you think weight training slows weight loss?

Options
Do you think cardio is the best for weight loss? Do you think doing calisthenics and/or weight training will slower the weight loss as it does create a anabolic drive? Or do you think making muscle creates a higher metabolic drive which in the long run helps with weight loss?

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    First off, weight =/= fat

Strength training will slow the rate of weight loss for most in the first few months, however it will not impact and may even accelerate the rate of fat loss.

This has nothing to do with anabolism; your muscles will adapt to training at first by creating more local fuel storage. This isn't actually muscle.

Recovery from strength training will appear to cause your metabolism to rise, however this is not due to muscle gain. Actual muscle gain only raises your metabolism about 4-5 cal/day/lb; it takes A LOT of muscle to eve make a little difference.
  • ssbmacdaddy
    ssbmacdaddy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So based in what your saying if you are 100 lb muscle you can burn 500 extra calories per day- that's pretty good too. Does the muscle retain extra water (fuel) after weight training? The reason I ask is that my goal is to loose weight. I'm focusing more on cardio then ever before but doing some circuit - "cardio like "calisthenics to balance out the body. I'm using insanity for cardio. It does not balance back very well so u alternate back/ bi with chest/shoulder/ tri. But using exercise bands for back and shoulder and bis. Push-up and dip body weight for chest and tris. I used to bodybuild yet got fat from bad diet. Now trying to lean out. I obviously have some muscle memory so muscles come back quick. Just want to lean out for health reasons. What to make sure doing things right way. If those pictures above are u - you look like u know what your doing. Your opinion?
  • breasyd2
    Options
    I see no negative to weight training. It only makes your body stronger and healthier. You may weigh the same, sure, but you are shrinking. Five pounds of fat weighs the same as 5 pounds of muscle, but muscle is much more dense than fat and takes up much less space.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    First of all, you aren't going to pack on tons of muscle at a deficit, so the whole muscle burns more calories thing isn't too much of a factor. You will lose muscle on a deficit, weight training or not. This loss can be reduced by weight training.

Your body adapts to the stresses you put upon it. If you are doing cardio, weight training, picking daisies, it will respond. I believe it will reserve more glycogen(Fuel) and water to anticipate the new stress. If you take a week off from stressing your body you might note a minor loss in these stores.

I think you are making this more complicated than it need be. Eat less, do more.
  • swampgeek
    swampgeek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When weight training obviously the goal is to create micro tears in the muscle that get rebuilt during recovery. Your bodies natural defense to help muscles is water retention. If you begin a weight training regimen you will gain weight in the form of retained water. If you hydrate properly this will lessen over time as the response above me indicates your body will adapt to the stress. The point is to make sure you understand that the number on the scale is not going to mean anything for the first few weeks. I have experienced this twice now in my weight loss journey due to injury forcing me to stop weight training.

Overall, would I recommend weight training while eating at a deficit, yes.
  • ssbmacdaddy
    ssbmacdaddy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Good advice