Is cardio really necessary?

Options

Replies

• OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If you do a circuit or super-sets, meaning less than 30 seconds rest in between you should be good. When we lift challenging and heavy weights in rapid succesion we are really getting the blood pumping and the heart rate going. You may want to condense your workout/split and use super-sets for a few weeks to see how your body is responding. Everyone is different, and we do not all fit into the same box that makes writing books and programs for fitness so simple. If you find yourself sweating and shaking and huffing and puffing at the end you will know you clocked in and got to work. You are a snowflake, there is no one else like you so train according to what your body tells you.
  • FlowersInTheDirt
    FlowersInTheDirt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    To build lean muscle mass no.
    But for your general health cardio is a necessity.
    Even if it's just 10 mins a day it will help keep your body healthy.

I'm with you, I hate cardio but it needs to be done.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Most people say that health wise, cardio is good for you, so I would say keep doing it. I doubt it will hurt not doing it for a couple of weeks while there is snow on the ground, but in general I should think it's good for you.

However, there is no reason you have to do boring cardio. I like running, but many people do not. You could:
    - go dancing, nightclub, dance class, or on your own in your bedroom to cheesy music you would never admit to enjoying
    - use a workout DVD
    - go cycling
    - do kickboxing or martial arts
    - try fencing, actually this is supposed to be one of the best cardio sports you could do apparently
    - play tennis, badminton, squash etc. with your friends
    - go swimming

There is absolutely no reason why cardio has to be a chore. You could mix it up a little, too.
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Cardio work out should be part of your daily life to stay heart healthy.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I think people who don't like cardio or struggle with cardio will tell you that it isn't necessary. For 20-30 something year olds, sharing your low HR or shirtless selfie without cardio isn't exactly telling us anything - let's see what impact a cardio-free life will have on you when you are 40, 50 and beyond.
  • emboslice94
    Options
    I don't like cardio.

But I have a higher BF% so I do it to get rid of weight. lately, after every lifting set, I do 1 minute of jump rope, does the trick for me plus its fun.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think people who don't like cardio or struggle with cardio will tell you that it isn't necessary. For 20-30 something year olds, sharing your low HR or shirtless selfie without cardio isn't exactly telling us anything - let's see what impact a cardio-free life will have on you when you are 40, 50 and beyond.

Do you think that someone who trains in a variety of rep ranges at moderate and high intensities is going to have negative impacts on health markers later in life because they missed out on specific adaptations from performing cardio?

I doubt this is the case.

Now I'm not trying to build a case AGAINST cardio. But I certainly question whether an athletic person who resistance trains at high intensity is missing out on basic health benefits by not performing cardio.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to do cardio.

But cardio /= jogging. If you enjoy kickboxing or soccer, do that instead. There are adult leagues, classes, etc. I enjoy mountain biking. Sometimes I force myself to do the boring machines to keep in shape for the biking but it's all biking motivated.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Do you think that someone who trains in a variety of rep ranges at moderate and high intensities is going to have negative impacts on health markers later in life because they missed out on specific adaptations from performing cardio?

Now I'm not trying to build a case AGAINST cardio. But I certainly question whether an athletic person who resistance trains at high intensity is missing out on basic health benefits by not performing cardio.

I believe both have specific adaptations.

If one weight trains in a cardio fashion, is it still weight training? (circuits, very short rest periods, higher rep ranges)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

If one weight trains in a cardio fashion, is it still weight training? (circuits, very short rest periods, higher rep ranges)
    By the same token, if you can still tax your cardiovascular capacity and build it over a period of time to increase endurance, without doing ''cardio'', what benefit does it provide to someone who does not desire to be exceptionally good at running/cycling etc?

My own anecdotal experience is that my capacity for running and swimming have improved, with no real effort dedicated to the activities over the last year and a bit, purely through regular weight training. I always push myself to the limit - and that places a heavy strain on the cardiovascular system, regardless of the activity undertaken.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Yes they do have specific adaptations but at some point there is going to be crossover.

What I'm questioning is whether or not you are missing out on general health benefits if you are a lean athlete who primarily weight trains and does no cardio, assuming your weight training is of moderate to high intensity with a variety of rep ranges.
  • dainali
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the replies! (I wasn't expecting so many in such a short period of time but thanks so much!)

What I think I can do to incorporate some cardio into my routine is interval training. It's much shorter time wise (being in graduate school doesn't give me much time as it is), & something I can handle a lot easier without getting bored. Though, out of curiosity, I noticed someone posted about HIIT in terms of weight training as well. I'm not sure if this would apply as well, but at least I could get my heart rate up while using weights. Since we have about a foot of snow outside I think for now I'll have to manage to do my cardio indoors ;)
    Thanks for all of the replies & suggestions! I knew that cardio was necessary for overall health, but really my short term goal is to focus on weights & build some strength. Once I gain more strength & have more time to devote to the gym, that's when I'll start incorporating more cardio. I won't ignore it forever, just for the time being. Thanks to everyone who answered! :)
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    I believe that cardio keeps our hearts strong. I am sure of this. I took heart medications for years and it made my heart work less hard. Now that I am off of the meds I need to get my cardio to strengthen my heart.

As far as using cardio to lose weight I think that some cardio will help burn calories but I personally feel that we need to look at what we are eating more than how many hours we put in running.

I have found that I am happiest when I just do 30 min. of cardio. I feel emotionally better but after that I just get exhausted and irritable if I do much more. I wonder why? Maybe because I am carrying too much weight around? Could be.
    :flowerforyou:

My brother runs a lot, does half marathons. He is at a totally different fitness level than I am. He gets the runners high and really needs to keep it up to feel the way he wants to!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I think some type of cadio is beneficial and as others have posted it doesn't need to be running - you could do other activities. I bookmarked this link this morning - you might want to look at it.

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/HIIT.html
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    In your case it is not necessary. Abs are built in the kitchen, not on the treadmill. Weight training and diet will take care of your LBM. And you will have more time and energy for your workouts.
  • Madmarsha
    Options
    Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert on this subject. That being said, I know cardio is really good for your heart (regardless of your weight) and overall circulatory health, which in turn is good for your entire body because your blood is the medium that circulates nutrients to every cell in your body.

That alone motivates me to incorporate cardio into my routine, more so than the weight loss benefits used to motivate me... especially now that I'm getting older and I'm becoming more concerned about my heart health and how I feel mentally versus my reflection in the mirror :)
    I think this is a great answer. I had to get myself motivated, but I have no desire to do hours upon hours -- or even 1 hour, really -- of running/treadmill/elliptical. At some point, it's diminishing returns and it's going to cause me to hate it. So, frankly, I do enough to get my target heart rate up and I'm good.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I dropped my cardio... it's been a little too taxing on my body after my new strength based program. You have to be smart though... if you're correctly logging your food you can manipulate your energy expenditure however you like.

I probably burn more calories lifting than I would on a treadmill. It boils down to preference.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    As far as using cardio to lose weight I think that some cardio will help burn calories but I personally feel that we need to look at what we are eating more than how many hours we put in running.

I'm more motivated by improving my running performance than weight per se, but knocking out 600-800 calories outside gives me a lot more flexibility around what I eat. I find that if I eat to my goal I feel unsatisfied, but if I train and eat back the calories I do feel satisfied. Entirely psychological as the net physiological effect is identical.

That said I knocked out 1200 cals today with a long run, and I'll struggle to consume enough to make up for that, so I may have a glass of wine :)
    I have found that I am happiest when I just do 30 min. of cardio. I feel emotionally better but after that I just get exhausted and irritable if I do much more. I wonder why? Maybe because I am carrying too much weight around? Could be

That strikes me as being underfueled, I know that my mood takes a dive if I'm not eating enough.
  • happilysingle69
    happilysingle69 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That was a great question, I'm a member of Planet Fitness and have been for years. In the past I would just do cardio around 2-4 miles on treadmill three times a week, now that does great for fat burning but I tend to find that when I have been losing weight now that I'm in my 40's it is not tone. So I decided to use the trainer at the club and he made me a personalized lay out of toning and cardio so I'm going to give it two to four weeks. But I have to say it was refreshing workout,
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't know why people hear "cardio" and think they have to run for hours. i'd love to replace the word cardio with the word "conditioning." there is no need to train for a half marathon if you aren't planing on doing a half marathon.

you need conditioning. i don't care how strong you are if you get winded going up the stairs. and conditioning can come in many different ways. running for 20-30 minutes is just one way. ride a bike, take a zumba or kickboxing class. do some weightlifting complexes. whatever it takes to get your heart rate elevated for a sustained amount of time.