Eating more than necessary but net goal is always reached

Options
Hi!

I'm just wondering and wanted to clarify if I need to change my eating habits this past week.

Basically, I've been eating more calories than I need to, most days this week. (Say about 100 calories more than I need to maintain my current weight). But I've been doing a lot of exercise.

Either way, My net calorie goal has always been reached; in fact, I'm a few hundred under the average weekly goal.

But because i'm technically eating more than I need to, will this affect my weight loss? I've come a long way so I don't want to mess any results up. From today I'm going to watch my calorie intake a bit more so either way I'll be back to normal by next week.

Cheers! hope everyone's well xxx

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm just wondering and wanted to clarify if I need to change my eating habits this past week.

Basically, I've been eating more calories than I need to, most days this week. (Say about 100 calories more than I need to maintain my current weight). But I've been doing a lot of exercise.

Either way, My net calorie goal has always been reached; in fact, I'm a few hundred under the average weekly goal.

But because i'm technically eating more than I need to, will this affect my weight loss? I've come a long way so I don't want to mess any results up. From today I'm going to watch my calorie intake a bit more so either way I'll be back to normal by next week.

Cheers! hope everyone's well xxx

Provided you are counting your calorie burn correctly as well as your food. By plugging in the excercise burn for that day, you have - in essence - "earned" the ability to eat more calories that day than on a day where you don't exercise. As long as you still end up with a"green" number at the end of the day when you complete your diary entry - you should be golden.

I am "supposed" to only be eating 2300 calories a day for my goal of shedding 10 pounds, but I will do a bike ride today that usually burns 1000 - 1060 calories. Throw in my dog walks, snow shoveling and some extra walking and it will say something like this at the bottom of my diary by the time the day is all said and done...

*You've earned 1,335 extra calories from exercise today

So I would be able ot eat around 3600 calories and still meet my goal. Chances are, though, that I will try to keep my consumption below that by a few hundred calories even though I "earned" it.

Log your exercise and don't worry about creeping into the "earned it" calories at the bottom of your diary. That's a good thing as you are losing weight and working out at the same time. The ideal way to do it!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Even careful calorie counting has an estimated 20% margin of error. Keep an eye on your body, keep an eye on the scale, and adjust accordingly. I doubt 100 calories/day will have an effect, especially if you've been more active.