Ladies [ONLY]

Options
I was wondering if it is okay to not work out during your period or until it at least lightens up?

Replies

• janetkuu
    Options
    YOu should work out during those days. You may not feel like it....but moving around actually helps to alleviate some of the cramp pains.
  • RobinAlexader
    RobinAlexader Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't generally workout if mine is bad..but lately i've been having trouble and it didn't go away for 26 days..So I had to force myself to workout. But i think you'll be ok with skipping a workout on heavy days, thats generally the way I do it.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It's hard to motivate myself to do it but I always feel so much better after I've worked out. The type of workout will depend on how crappy I'm feeling. Sometimes I'm pretty weak and shaky so I don't lift those days.
  • BreatheAshley
    BreatheAshley Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I normally try to continue to work out or at least skip the first day.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Its ok to do whatever you want as long as you are happy with it.

But working out actually does help.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    depends on the "leak factor"
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    YOu should work out during those days. You may not feel like it....but moving around actually helps to alleviate some of the cramp pains.

For some people, that works. For me, I'm usually in more pain exercising during my period.

OP, you're going to have to try it and see how you feel (cramps, pain, tiredness, leakage, etc.).
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If it is a matter of discomfort, there are a few yoga routines that are specifically put together to ease cramping. It isn't a calorie burner, but it could make you feel more able to handle an actual workout.
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It's hard enough for me to be motivated to exercise on a normal day, let alone then :/ but admittedly it distracts from pain if you're moving/working out and stretching definitely helps the cramps. Never understood why girls were allowed to skip PE in school if it was their time of the month, makes no sense really.
  • BreatheAshley
    Options
    You make a good point there. I don't remember girls skipping PE in school.
  • BreatheAshley
    Options
    I convinced myself to go today just so I could get a smoothie at the gym haha.
  • nikijh
    nikijh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have PSO so when she visits I can be in agony and crying….But the gym helps!! I'm not sure how or why but it numbs some of the pain
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If I have cramps I pop some Advil and carry on.
  • BreatheAshley
    Options
    I just took two Ibuprofen because that is all I have but that stuff usually never works for me.
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think it's very much a listen to your body sort of deal. In the months where I'm throwing up or otherwise violently not functioning, I skip the gym. If it's not that bad then I give it a go and just do a light-ish work out.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I don't workout hard during that time of the month, but I do workout. I also find that things like walking and yoga help with the pain of cramps, and I have writhe on the floor cramps. I think it depends on how you feel. Don't force it. Look at the whole cycle- I eat like crazy the week before and I'm tired and lazy; and while it makes that week a wasted week in terms of loss the following week I have no appetite and that usually is my big loss week.
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My first day, every month, is awful. I have no energy, my cramps are terrible, and there are other TMI issues. But after that, it's fine. If you have a really bad day, it's okay to take one day off. But, work through it if you can on the other days. The movement really does make the pain subside a little.
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Also, Youtube yoga for menstruation. There are quite a few helpful poses out there!
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I don't generally workout if mine is bad..but lately i've been having trouble and it didn't go away for 26 days..So I had to force myself to workout. But i think you'll be ok with skipping a workout on heavy days, thats generally the way I do it.

yup this is how I do it too. the first few days including a day or two before it starts I feel literally sick. It's like getting the flu before it starts.. It's natures way of telling me to pamper myself for a few days IMHO. nothing wrong with it in the grand scheme of things imho.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    It is ok