How do you learn to be patient and not go crazy quick

Options
I've lost around 19lbs since I started a month ago, I've done it by going from zero exercise and eating about 4000 calories a day, to running, cycling and eating around 1800. It's been fun to challenge myself and remind my body who is boss by flexing my willpower muscle, but now I'm starting to get bored with it.

It's the story of my life that I'm very good at doing things for a short time, but once it has to be for longer I lose interest (I guess it's a personality flaw, but hey, no one is perfect).

How do YOU learn to be patient and be happy with losing maybe one pound a week, when you know you could lose a lot more if you really tried? But the flip side of that is, you are correct by going for the long, slow, steady lifestyle change, rather than the short burst. I'm finding it hard to adapt to the slow burn. Hare and Tortoise deal. I need to learn how to be the tortoise but am naturally the hairy old hare who starts great but quickly burns out...

Thanks for any advice....

mx

Replies

• shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Along with the weight loss I like to look at my fitness gains too. Just another thing to be happy about, and early on you generally can progress quite quickly.

As an example, I started P90 5 weeks ago and could do about 5 on-my-knees pushups for each set. First 3 weeks I did more and more. Week 4 I moved up to regular pushups and in my last workout I did 12 regular pushups, 10 fly pushups, and 7-3-7 in the 7 fly, 7 close-handed, 7 regular pushups part of the workout.

Same thing goes for cardio, You start off struggling to get through a workout and soon you are pounding through it like a beast.

It might help to track things like this, even if it is just writing down how you felt during a workout. It gives you a lot of other things to be happy about, aside from the weight loss, and definitely helps keep me motivated. Even on weeks I don't lose weight (like this week), you can still look back and see you imrpoved.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have 100 to lose and I'm not a patient person. I'm starting my 6th week and have lost 15 lbs. I realize that's a larger amount and will probably slow down considerably. You just have to picture the end result. I know I won't lose 100 lbs in 4 months. I probably won't reach my goal until 2015. But I'm so determined after seeing the first 15 lbs come off. I also keep thinking - if I stop now, I've ruined the past 5 weeks of work.

Just remembering "slow and steady" is helping me. Losing a ton of weight quickly usually backfires.
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    I spend a lot more time naked in front of the mirror to be honest.

Before I'd maybe glance at myself when I was getting into or out of the shower, but now I take a really good look, then I turn to the side, then I hold my hands over the bits I plan on losing and look again. It sounds very vain, but it helps me visualize my end results and stay focused. Also I may only be down eight pounds, but already I look better naked, and that is pretty awesome to me.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think about what I want to look like when I'm done. I can lose weight quickly and end up a thinner, still flabby version of what I am now, or I can go slowly, eat plenty of calories and protein, and have an awesome body after all the fat comes off. I prefer option 2.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out things you like, just make room for it.. after awhile you won't think about eating a whole large pizza or ordering take out every day.. You need to form a habit.. and do workouts that you enjoy.. not the endless treadmill or elliptical.

And if you want it bad enough, you will stick with it.. look in the mirror and if your glad at your current image and weight.. then feel free to binge..

And how do you know you can lose more than 1 lb a week, some people try.. go to extremes and Guess what.. they have posts all over this board.. Just because the numbers add up doesn't mean your body cares.. And if you are used to short bursts of losing weight, why are you back here? Gain that weight back right? Hmm, wouldn't it be nice to not have to ride the roller coaster anymore..
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    For me it's all about mini goals rather than looking at the big picture. What they are is up to you.

Some of mine along the way...

Lose SOMETHING
    Lose 5 lbs
    Get as close to my calorie goal as possible without going over for 5 days in a row (or 10 or 30)
    Do one push up
    Do 10 pushups etc

When the going gets tough don't look at the next 10 pounds, look at the next 2!
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 19lbs since I started a month ago, I've done it by going from zero exercise and eating about 4000 calories a day, to running, cycling and eating around 1800. It's been fun to challenge myself and remind my body who is boss by flexing my willpower muscle, but now I'm starting to get bored with it.

It's the story of my life that I'm very good at doing things for a short time, but once it has to be for longer I lose interest (I guess it's a personality flaw, but hey, no one is perfect).

How do YOU learn to be patient and be happy with losing maybe one pound a week, when you know you could lose a lot more if you really tried? But the flip side of that is, you are correct by going for the long, slow, steady lifestyle change, rather than the short burst. I'm finding it hard to adapt to the slow burn. Hare and Tortoise deal. I need to learn how to be the tortoise but am naturally the hairy old hare who starts great but quickly burns out...

mx

I am the same exact way! After a month I am bored. Commenting to come back and read responses later.
  • MissSethra
    MissSethra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I find myself in a similar boat, lost 38 lbs in about 3.5 months and now just maintaining. I know I have to make more adjustments. But I do remind myself that the 60-some pounds I started out needing to lose didn't get there overnight or even a few months, they crept up on me over about 10 years. So if it takes me a year to get all them off, its still faster than putting them on. Also tell myself, ya I could go all crazy exercising and dropping like crazy but realistically I would never keep up that type of lifestyle and I would quickly gain back all the weight. So I am just trying to adjust my diet and exercise to something I WILL be able to maintain in the long run. Just remember you are working at it and it will take time.
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    I've learned to be patient because i'm fully aware that there is no such thing as overnight success. If you really want something you need to work hard at it; that goes for just about every aspect of life. Now that i've lost weight and people are beginning to notice, now that clothes are fitting me better and I have to buy smaller size clothes, now that i'm starting to feel more energetic and overall better, those are thing things that continue to motivate me.
  • Giddy72
    Giddy72 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would advise getting a friend or family member involved with you.

Little competitions between yourselves add to the fun.

For instance : two week weight loss challenge by % of body weight. Loser treats the winner to a night at the Cinema with the winner choosing the film?

might sound a bit trivial, but it can be the difference between staying with it and giving up
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I go on these boards. So much information and inspiration with people who are working to better themselves and everyone at different stages in their journey. It has also become a hobby for me. My workouts change every two weeks and I pick programs that follow schedules so there is an end and I can be proud when I reach it. I also remind myself that I do not want a ton of loose skin from dropping weight to quickly.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot more time naked in front of the mirror to be honest.

Before I'd maybe glance at myself when I was getting into or out of the shower, but now I take a really good look, then I turn to the side, then I hold my hands over the bits I plan on losing and look again. It sounds very vain, but it helps me visualize my end results and stay focused. Also I may only be down eight pounds, but already I look better naked, and that is pretty awesome to me.

I do this too!
  • Patcolombo
    Options
    Tell myself all the time it will take some time to reach goal and want it off yesterday. For me to stay on track and not give up I also remind myself it is not about loosing weight but changing my habits and replacing them with good ones and in the end I will see that body I want. It,s a mental change too...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

mx

Many of us approach the idea of dieting as a quick fix for overweight. The end goal is to be skinny and go back to eating everything you love. Speaking from experience, when you go back to the same old habits, you get the same old results. I eventually regained every lost pound and more. In order to have permanent success, you need to make a permanent lifestyle change. It takes time to learn new, better habits. You will be better off gradually lowering your calorie intake than following a "crash" diet.

Some people here succeed by counting calories and abstaining from trigger foods. Others count calories and use portion control to stay within our allowed calories. I'm in the group who uses portion control to stay within my allowed calories. I can recommend two essential tools. We bought a digital food scale to weigh our portions so we know how much we are eating. I bought a reasonably priced one at Amazon. I also use dishers to measure portions of things like potatoes and rice. Dishers look like ice cream scoops and I like them because they're easier to use than measuring cups. Measuring cups are just as effective at creating known portion sizes.

Exercise regularly. Find things you like so that it isn't a punishment. Dance, walk, ride a bike, go to the gym, swim, take yoga... Alternating between things you like will keep you from boredom and be good for your body. I regularly exercise in order to earn a treat. If I ride my bike X number of minutes I can have an ice cream cone, or something else that I love. Counting calories helps put you in charge.

Good luck. I hope we'll see you here offering advice to newcomers for years to come.

This is a race between the tortoise and the hare, and your life is at stake. You know who wins. Slow down, be kind to yourself, and be persistent. You can eat everything you like in moderate portions and still win. Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You have to wrap your head around the bigger picture. Your health, nutrition, and fitness are lifetime endeavors...there really is no finish line...you are never done...reaching some arbitrary scale value is just the beginning. I liken it to college...everyone is in a rush to graduate and be "done"...in reality, that's when the real **** starts...you have to get an actual job and **** and become a responsible and respectable member of society.

Once you start wrapping your brain around that, your nutrition and fitness do not become these sorta extra things that you're doing right now...they become a part of who you are. For me, having a diet that is overwhelmingly nutrient dense and living a lifestyle that involves regular rides on my bike, weight lifting at the gym, 5Ks, and cycling events, and mud runs, and cyclocross races are just as much a part of an ordinary day as brushing my teeth and taking a shower.

Problem is that most people never grasp this...so they cross that imaginary finish line or decide it's just not worth it to even make it to that imaginary finish line and they're "done"....finally, they can stop with this nutrition and fitness nonsense...and then they just put the weight back on. This is why only roughly 5% of people who have weight control issues end up taking that weight off and keeping it off long term.

I've been in maintenance now for around 9 months...and I'll tell you, you have to find a different kind of motivation...ultimately this all has to be about more than just losing some poundage...once you get to maintenance you don't have the benefit of watching the scale go down for motivation...it just stays the same (within natural body weight fluctuations)...so you really have to discover a deeper purpose for doing the things you do than just your weight.
  • zealey77
    zealey77 Posts: 104
    Options

I've been in maintenance now for around 9 months...and I'll tell you, you have to find a different kind of motivation...ultimately this all has to be about more than just losing some poundage...once you get to maintenance you don't have the benefit of watching the scale go down for motivation...it just stays the same (within natural body weight fluctuations)...so you really have to discover a deeper purpose for doing the things you do than just your weight.

So what is this new kind of motivation for you then? That's what I'm trying to find. Sure you talk a good game, but what was it for you?
  • charlicee
    Options
    I cut out the sugars, sweets, junk food, refined grains, prepackaged foods, learn to have maybe one afternoon snack and forgo the treat after dinner, cut calories when I can by forgoing sauces and breads, skip adding salt to my meals, and eating low-cal fruits and veggies instead with lean sources of protein. I also burn 500+ calories a day by walking at a stead pace on an incline, and exercise at the times of day I used to snack out of boredom. I am averaging 2-2.5 lbs each week at this point, but I am not that hungry and love the thrill of exercising. (And if I get bored, I look at motivational quotes for a few minutes to get my *kitten* into gear.) I have adopted my diet as what I plan to stay on, too, after losing all my weight, and plan to keep exercising to help keep the weight off.

I keep myself in check from using easy weight-loss methods because, frankly, I can't afford all these diet pills and meal shakes. Income is tight, and food-stamps must be spent wisely. I use my parents' old equipment for working out. That is what keeps me in check!
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You have to wrap your head around the bigger picture. Your health, nutrition, and fitness are lifetime endeavors...there really is no finish line...you are never done...reaching some arbitrary scale value is just the beginning.

This! Exactly this!

You have to do activities that you genuinely enjoy on a regular basis, and adapt to a sensible diet for life. You don't have to give up the foods you enjoy, but unless you're a pro athlete, eating 4000 calories a day will jeopardize your health and really isn't a viable option for wellness.

Consider how good health will impact the quality of life for yourself and those in your life around you. My habits in the past involved being a workaholic and I wasn't managing my stress. I felt like total crap, I was often very depressed, and my life was a mess. But making the decision to mind my health has just made the quality of my life so much better. The way this makes me feel on the inside is probably what motivates me the most every day.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    stop thinking of it as a race (tortoise hare analogy) with an end point. Like brushing our teeth we know there will never be a day we are done brushing our teeth if we want to maintain a healthy smile you brush them every day same for the body you do something for it every day to maintain a healthy body. If goals and accomplishment is your motivation then you look for the next area of your body/performance you can improve so if that means running further, lifting more or averaging 35g or more of fiber in your diet...whatever keeps you with life long of health, improvement, and evolution.
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    Yeah, kinda where I'm at. I know this 1,440 cal. thing will do the trick but I want it off FAST. I am familiar with the weight loss thing. Lost a lot of weight before but that was years ago. I found that breaking up the boredom thing is really important like you said. I had to start a new hobby or a new book or even try taking short trips in the car to places I've never been to break things up. I am an artist in my spare time and I usually had to start a new project to get my mind off of the refrigerator.

Good Luck to you!:drinker: