How long will it you take you to reach your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• RobynSmithIBECHS
    RobynSmithIBECHS Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hoepfully by August 2015 I'll be there or at least really close.
  • ptroses
    ptroses Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started in January 2013, my goal is 102 pounds, but as I get closer, I would like to loose about 5 more to account for fluctuations. So far I've lost 81 pounds. The only hang up I had was Christmas. It was the first holiday I "allowed" myself some old comforts. That was a bad idea. I gained about 7-10 pounds. So beginning the new year I had a reality check and really got myself back on track. There's no room for "allowances" when your trying to reach a goal. Hard lesson to learn after a year of dedication. Things have slowed down a bit now that I'm in my last 20 pounds. I hoping to get there by June 1st.:happy:
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 13 months now and I have five pounds to go. I will still be in the high end of a healthy weight for me, but I honestly don't care. I am happy just to be there!
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    forever :grumble:
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this lazy on/off thing for probably about a year, if I do the same amount of lazy on/off it'll probably take me another year and a half or so to get down to where I want to be. If I somehow miraculously get a huge influx of motivation maybe less than that? Though, apathy can strike at any moment, so it could always be more.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    right now I'm considered morbidly obese. When I reach my goal weight I will be in the healthy range for my height according to my BMI. Should reach that goal this time next year.
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Probably a year - but it doesn't matter because time is going to pass anyway no matter what I do.

^^This.

I'm in the same boat, about a year. I'll probably end up 10-15 lbs in the overweight zone, but it'll be muscle instead of fat.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm just curious how long does everyone think it will take?
    Also is your goal weight a healthy BMI or not (mainly asking this for people who are/were obese)
    Thanks!

I don't really have a goal weight.

I should mention at the start that I do not need to lose weight. IMHO once you are no longer fat having a goal weight becomes a bit silly. I mean sure, if you're 300 you might say you want to be about 150 and that's a fine goal. But once you get to 'normal' there isn't necessarily a point to being 150 instead of 155. Ironically goal weights become more irrelevant the closer you are to achieving them.

My goal is as much muscle as I can get naturally, while being fairly lean, maybe ~15% bodyfat. In other words I want to be strong and athletic. I think for someone my height theoretically that would result in me topping out somewhere around 200 pounds if everything goes perfectly.

Put that way I guess the time span to get close is probably a couple years. But it's basically a life-long quest from there.

That plan will put me a bit into the "Overweight" category of BMI, but I don't care because BMI doesn't tell you anything useful about individuals outside of extreme cases. (And you don't need a mathematical formula to tell you if someone is morbidly obese or in danger of blowing a way in a high wind anyway do you?) It was designed for population studies.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I am currently targeting 180-185. At my height (5'10") for a female, the BMI charts say that's still on the overweight side of the line by a few pounds.

I expect that if I stick with my plan, I will get there before summer.

After that, I am targeting functional strength (lifting and carrying big bags of dog food up two flights of stairs, for example), and endurance for some backpacking trips I want to take.
  • Rachelito
    Rachelito Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I started out Obese, still am. I'm 5'6 and started at 216lbs and have lost 20lbs in the 70 days I have been logging on MFP. I would love to hit 155 by my birthday in late September. That is my goal for now, and I will reassess when I get there.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It has been 6.5 months and I'm 1/3 way to goal so I'm guessing another year.
  • momofGD
    momofGD Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    October 15, 2013 was my start date. I was 321lbs. This morning I weighed in at 248. 73lbs gone in not quite 4 months. My goal is to be 159 or less. (I want to say I lost half my body.) I am fine with however long it takes. If I keep going at the rate I am going by my 1 yr I should be there. But loosing weight is just part of it. The strength, endurance, and confidence is so much more important. The weight loss is a perk.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    started out morbidly obese
    should take till summer to shift the last pounds, but scared it's going to be the 12th of never before i'm done
  • aluethi1
    aluethi1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started as Obese Class 2 (barely into the class 2 category) in September and am now 4 pounds away from the Overweight catagory. I'm hoping to be at my goal by September, and the way it's been going it seems possible. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm just curious how long does everyone think it will take?
    Also is your goal weight a healthy BMI or not (mainly asking this for people who are/were obese)
    Thanks!

I was right at the line of overweight/obese per my BF%...I lost 40 Lbs in 8-9 months or so. According to BMI I'm overweight, but I'm at a perfectly healthy BF%. I'm not a body builder by any means, but I have a decent amount of muscle on me. If I were to get int0 the top range of BMI and maintained my current muscle mass I would be around 10% BF and I have no desire to be that lean nor do I think I would be able to maintain that kind of leanness. To get below that I would have to burn up a bunch of muscle which would be kinda dumb I think.

I would put way more focus on your BF% than BMI...realize also that if you're obese you've also had to build up quite a bit of muscle to carry that weight around...If I were you, I'd do everything in my power to preserve as much of that lean mass as possible while maximizing fat loss.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    A conservative estimate (of 250g loss pr week) should land me at my goal weight on the 6th of August. Though I've calculated that my net calories per week since december would actually equal an average 291g/week, which would then get me to my goal on the 2nd of July.

If I could stick to what I've been at for this past week, I would be at my goal for the 24th of May. But I don't think I can!

Oh, and I started out in the wat upper end of obese (almost morbidly), now I'm in the low end of obesity, and my goal is to exit the obese, and just be overweight. After that I will set a new goal.
  • buttercupcakegina
    buttercupcakegina Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    hopefully 20 weeks
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    A couple of years I'd imagine. But I'm ok with this. I'm lighter than what I was, and hopefully this time next year I'll be even lighter.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking for me at least a year. Started in October @260 curantly @212 w a GW of 150. When I hit 180 I will more the likely decrease from 2lbs a week down to 1lb a week
  • merci7
    merci7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hoping to lose 2lbs a week at least. So about 6 months to goal weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!