Craving Fried Food

Options
2»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That's me. Spreading joy one snort (or Pop-Tart) at a time.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Keep the pop tart, pass the cinnamon rolls!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I love that stuff too. I will occasionally indulge in KFC but make room in my diary by doing extra cardio. Some alternatives to frying are

Oven chips: Cut a peeled potato into french fry sized pieces. Microwave for 5 minutes. Place in a greased oven tray, and toss. Spray with a little olive oil if necessary. Salt. Bake at 200C for about 20 minutes.

Oven fried chicken: Dip chicken in no fat yoghurt or buttermilk, then dredge in crumbs. You can use bread crumbs or panko, but I like to use oatmeal or quinoa flakes that have been batterred to a powder in the food processor. Place on a greased tray, and spray with olive oil. Bake 30-40 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Shorter time is for breasts, longer time for thighs with bone in.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Southern style Shake N Bake chicken is pretty good. Also roasted cauliflower (tossed in some olive oil and salt beforehand) has a taste similar to french fries, in my opinion.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Southern style Shake N Bake chicken is pretty good. Also roasted cauliflower (tossed in some olive oil and salt beforehand) has a taste similar to french fries, in my opinion.

I agree on both counts, but to get that fried chicken crunch, spraying with oil before baking really does it for me.
  • Giddy72
    Giddy72 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try this:-

Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 350 F, 180C

On a 'side-plate' Mix 1/2 Tablespoon of breadcrumbs, 1/2 tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest (optional) and a little salt and pepper

In a desert bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of Natural Yoghurt and 2 tablespoons of Skimmed Milk

Cut a 100 - 150 g (4-5 oz) skinless chicken breast into strips and dip into the bowl, shake off the excess and roll in the breadcrumb mixture until completely coated.

bake on a very lightly oiled tray for 20 minutes until the chicken is brown and crispy.

Enjoy!! 360 Kcals
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Homemade, oven-baked alternatives to the foods you're craving could give you what you want with fewer calories. I'm not really sure though, I kind of REALLY hate fried foods but when I crave a candy bar or something, the only thing that makes my craving disappear is to eat the dang candy bar. Or half of it and savor it once today and again tomorrow. Maybe just eat some fried food? If you've had too much already today, plan something into tomorrow's food log? I do that pretty often with wine and chocolate.

I meant "oven-baked," NOT over-baked.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Next thing we'll be hearing that white zin is just as good as a carefully crafted Chardonnay.

Food is meant to be enjoyed.

Calories in vs calories out means that you don't need to eat cardboard
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Home-made baked not deep fried . .. might satisfy your taste for deep fried food. This was my struggle in the past but I knew If I could throw away my deep fryer, stay away from fast food I could do it! It can be achieved ....mind over matter...
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You don't need it. There are so many healthier choices that taste better. Don't get me wrong french fries are good but not worth the calories. If you really want it once in awhile, then enjoy but make sure you will really enjoy it especially when you have to log it in.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with others - indulge once in a while and perhaps the craving will go away. I too love fried foods and the smell drives me nuts. If I cannot fit a fried treat into my week (or I've already had one), I make these...http://weelicious.com/2010/04/19/tex-mex-rice-cakes/ (the only thing I change is reducing the amount of corn and adding black beans).

They are lightly fried in a little olive oil, but overall, not bad for my health. They hit the fried food spot without derailing my entire day. And when I make them, I make 4 or 5 portions of the recipe, make a ton of the cakes, and freeze them. Makes for a super quick and easy meal.
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This was a weakness of mine also!
    But like some of the others stated, if you have a cheat meal, enjoy some of a craving!
    I love french fries! To tone that craving, I cut sweet potato, spray with olive oil and bake.
    But on my cheat day, I went to Five Guys and had a regular order. But before heading there, I did an additional hour workout to balance out those fries.
    However, I savor those fries and enjoyed every bite :happy: !
    As for fried chicken, use to be like you on the smell of it cooking. But I made a goal of no fried food until I reach a certain milestone and it will be that cheat meal for that month
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Eat it but enter the calories on here first so you can determine if it's worth it. Never neglect yourself from the things you like or you're much more likely to binge until you can barely move... lol
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You don't need it. There are so many healthier choices that taste better. Don't get me wrong french fries are good but not worth the calories. If you really want it once in awhile, then enjoy but make sure you will really enjoy it especially when you have to log it in.

I love when one person tells another what they like better.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I haven't really craved deep fried food for a while but tonite I had a LOT of calories left because I worked nights and didn't get up until 2 pm - I am having homemade fried perogies (not deep fried but pan fried) with bacon and onion) and I am having a huge portion - I am calling this my cheat day since I have pretty much no fruit or veg today :ohwell:

I say find a way to fit it in once in a while - but as others have said there are alternatives - I happen to like potato or sweet potato wedges baked in the oven :flowerforyou:
  • palmirana
    palmirana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I once craved french fries, and had them, and it felt like I dropped a brick in my stomach (after weeks of eating healthily)... I felt sick the whole afternoon!!! So not again any time soon.... Go figure I used to eat that stuff almost every day in the past!

Sounds like you mean "low fat" by "healthily." Common mistake.

Actually I eat a lot of healthy fat, such as avocado, raw nuts, almond butter, olive oil and I take fish oil&cla.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Okay - I made absolutely fantastic fried raised donuts today. Jamie Oliver orange spice recipe. Perfect for a -5 Sunday afternoon. 2" each. Ate 3. Still hit my calories.
  • MMFabrizio
    Options
    I'm with the "Satisfy Your Craving, but keep your daily calories right" crowd. If you crave it a lot, (or say, more than once a week) then decide on one day a week you can satisfy it. It's easier to pass it by if you say, "I'll have some on such and such day", and this keeps you from doing it too often. While you're losing wieght, your stomach is getting smaller, and you'll find as time goes on you can only consume smaller and smaller amounts before getting full.

I know I'm going to be going this route a bit, cuz if I can't have any of my favorite foods ever, I'm not gonna keep at it. Make the dieting a lifestyle change you can live with, and it'll be easier to keep at it for a lifetime. =)