Paleo

Options
Have any of you successfully become paleo? Or committed to the paleo diet? What tips do you have? I keep meaning to do it but haven't really committed. Can I be mostly paleo but eat oatmeal? How did you finally motivate yourself to make the necessary changes? Do you feel healthier/ different? Thanks all advice and help appreciated!

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I follow the Perfect Health Diet (PHD) which is like paleo 2.0. I think the exclusion of butter, tubers, and salt in paleo is mistaken. Also, I think they are missing bone broth, organ meats, and for optimal health. However, I think that the paleo/primal lifestyle is a great way to engage in a lifelong health commitment without having to count calories. Most people naturally lose weight eating this way. I would not do the oatmeal, but find something else for breakfast.

Personally I changed from counting calories to PHD and I'm very happy with it. I've maintained my 50 lb loss for a year now without counting aside from occasionally just to see. I got motivated because I was tired of counting calories and was looking for something for ideal health. This is the longest that I've maintained a weight eating this way. I haven't been able to get 6 pack abs, but that is not really a marker of health and I do follow the 90/10 rule so there is a little cheating in there. I exercise with resistance and carbio, but cut out the chronic cardio. My blood and heart numbers were all good but needed just a little supplementation to get ideal. I personally am very happy and wouldn't change.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm paleo'ish but it's because I have an autoimmune disease and have found that most grains cause me pain. I slowly eliminated foods I suspected until I ended up pretty much eating paleo. I do eat butter, a little dairy and some starches. I didn't choose to eat this way based on rhetoric but I have found it to be such a blessing that there are so many recipes available.

I will say, I haven't magically lost a bunch of weight to this point but I do find myself satisfied with few calories because of the types of food I'm eating. I feel so much better too. You can still overeat if you're not watching it though, especially because there are a lot of nut flours used to replace regular grains. We have waffle night once a week and let me tell you, a waffle made with almond flour is 329 calories for one square! That's before you put anything on it! If I were eating a lot of waffles I would easily go over my calories. They are a nice treat though. I know a lot of people say you don't need to count calories at all with this type of eating but for me I continue to journal to track them and make sure there isn't anything else I need to cut.
  • jsheehan46
    jsheehan46 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So at the beginning of January I went Paleo...historically I had just been someone that counted calories and ran a lot. When I was counting I found myself hungry all the time and my wife said I'd get pretty moody - I was able to drop, but when I fell off the weight would always come back and I'd just feel bad. I was also pretty much a cardio junkie - loved to run and still do - but I've changed that up as well. So I changed to doing Crossfit 3X a week and cut back on Cardio at the same time I went Paleo. I have dropped about 8 lbs in the first month...seemed to go real slow so I started keeping a journal and tracking changes and foods I like. I've stayed very true to the plan and eat pretty much eggs / lean meats / fish / organic raw nuts / fruit / veggies / Bison Jerky / Bison steaks - I've been tracking daily in MFP if anyone ever want to see what I'm eating. I've noticed less mood swings - less joint pain - starting to lose weight - I do crave pizza/pasta/bagels .... let me know if there is ever Paleo friends that want to share.