Weetabix!

Options
psmd
psmd Posts: 764 Member
First of all--is anyone else obsessed with this cereal? And do people in England/Britain actually eat it there too?

Anyway I love this cereal and am looking for other things to do with it! Usually I have 2 biscuits, add skim milk (or water) and add PB2, or some honey, then microwave.

What do other people add to it?

Replies

• may_carol
    Options
    My partner eats them dry, thickly spread with butter! Probably best with low fat spread!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I've heard of Weetabix but I've never seen it at the store. Where can you get it?
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    yes weetabix is a staple breakfast here in the uk too. Usually with milk, sometimes with sugar on top or sliced bananas. Eaten hot or cold depending on choice and some like it soggy and all mushed up while others eat it still quite dry
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've heard of Weetabix but I've never seen it at the store. Where can you get it?

I think you can get it at Meijer (MI, IL, IN, OH & KY) in the international food aisle.

I wonder does it taste different than something like Post (yellow box) Shredded wheat? That's one of my favorite cereals but I didn't figure it could be improved on...
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Popular in Australia too, I always ate it cold as a kid with regular milk and raw sugar sprinkled over and craved it again when pregnant...Yum, keep it simple!
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Weetabix is great! They ran a lot of adverts with the different things you can do with it. Some are on the site. I personally like sliced banana and maybe pouring yoghurt instead of milk. http://www.weetabix.co.uk/customise-your-cereal
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Weet-bix (no 'a') in NZ.

It is best either with hot milk and brown sugar, or cold milk and fruit, depending on the time of year.
  • taekwondo_bitch
    taekwondo_bitch Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Dewy - here in Australia we also have Weet-Bix without the "a". It's cool, I guess. I switched breakfast a LOT as a kid. Weet-Bix was definitely a notch on my dining table, though.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I just saw all these responses, thanks! I buy it at Trader Joe's.

Dry with peanut butter on top sounds like a genius idea, will definitely try! I actually love it cold or warm.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My mother used to make a chocolate slice with weet(a)bix in it. Cocoa, weetbix, flour, sugar, coconut, butter.. and iced with either coconut or sprinkles on top. I made it recently, but can't keep it in the house as I can't leave it alone!
  • ausheli
    ausheli Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also whizz em up in the blender as part of my protein shakes for a quick on the run breakfast
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I've seen this before at Trader Joe's... is it like giant shredded wheat?
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just to point out that the UK Weetabix and the Aussie Weet-bix are similar but very, very different. (They both have the same origins but are made by two different companies now and have obviously developed in slightly different ways)

The Aussie one is much more 'wheaty' and compacted and doesn't mush as well, it tends to retain its shape much more.

You can sometimes see the UK version in Coles and Woolworths if they have a British section in their international aisles :D

(I love both versions)
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've seen this before at Trader Joe's... is it like giant shredded wheat?

No, it's nothing like shredded wheat. It's more like compacted flakes of wheat rather than, well, shredded wheat.

No idea how to post an image into a message, but here's a link to what it looks like:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Weetabixinbowl.jpg
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    I have Weetabix every morning with Hazelnut milk, banana and blueberries. I have it cold. Aldi also do their version of it which is also very good and lots cheaper.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    No, it's nothing like shredded wheat. It's more like compacted flakes of wheat rather than, well, shredded wheat.

Thanks for the picture. That's so interesting!! I wrongly thought it was like shredded wheat all of these years (pretty sure someone told me it was, they must not have known what shredded wheat was!) Next time I am in the international aisle I might have to give them a go.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    2 Weetabix with a sprinkle of sweetener, semi skimmed milk and chopped banana on top :smile:

P.S. As a kid, I used to say I wanted one Weetabick thinking Weetabix was the plural :laugh:
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Also goes great in brownies:

How to make Weetabix Brownies

In a bowl put
    4 crushed weetabix
    4oz caster sugar
    4oz self raising flour
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    pkt chocolate drops (i use a 25p 100g tescos own milk chocolate chopped up)

mix this altogether

then take 4oz of melted margerine or butter and stir this into the mixture along with an egg

mix well and put in a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes at 180 celsius.

I put this mix into a square tin which measures 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches. I suppose you could use anything a similar size it would just turn out a bit more or less deeper. I also line the tray with greaseproof paper to save any sticking. Once out the oven let it stand for about 5 minutes then turn out the tray and cut into squares.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Grew up on Weetabix here in the UK. Covered in Golden Syrup, sugar and plenty of cold milk...those were the days! Can't think when golden syrup last featured on my cereal!!
  • stanleypoobrick
    stanleypoobrick Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    haha this is surreal! I'm from England and weetabix are SO boring?? they're definitely a staple though; I have a box of 72 in the cupboard and pull them out when I can't be bothered making something better.

I just have 1-2 with cold almond/soy milk and nothing on top. I like to eat them straight away while they're still crunchy but my partner leaves them to be a messy goop before touching them.