Ladies [ONLY]

Options
13»

Replies

• krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    This TOM I only skipped one day. Normally I just pop a Midol and do something, even if it's just 15 minutes on the elliptical, mostly to keep the routine going if nothing else.

I have extremely heavy periods (to the point where I can ONLY use pads because Tampons... yeah... NO. AND extreme cramps. I find that on weeks that I work out, the cramping is a lot easier to deal with and shorter in duration. I'm hoping this improves as I lose weight...
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if it is okay to not work out during your period or until it at least lightens up?

When I was in high school I had such bad pains during my period that I'd have to miss school and I'd spend the day at home crying and throwing up.
    When I got to college, I joined the rowing team, greatly increasing my physical activity. The period pain disappeared. I've heard other women who have similar experiences. If you have pain from your monthly, there's a good chance that increasing your physical activity and fitness will help to get rid of that pain.
    It worked for me.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I just took two Ibuprofen because that is all I have but that stuff usually never works for me.

Take 3 or 4.

Um, no don't, overdosing is bad.
    If they are 200mg take 2, if they are 400mg take one.
    No more!!

3 or 4 isn't an overdose. Prescription ibuprofen is 800 mg.

I have to second you here. I'm not a doctor, and certainly don't take 800mg if you were told not to because of a health problem. But, when I have bad cramps or a migraine, I will easily take 800mg of ibuprofen in a day. I don't do this for consecutive days, because ibuprofen does harm to stomach lining over time.

The bottle actually says "do not exceed 6 tablets in 24 hours" which means you can safely take 1200mg of ibuprofen in ONE DAY - NOT consecutive. Just for one day.

DEFINITELY don't confuse ibuprofen with acetaminophen either - this is what is in Midol. Don't double up your Midols. Bad news.
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just took two Ibuprofen because that is all I have but that stuff usually never works for me.

Take 3 or 4.

No more!!

I have to second you here. I'm not a doctor, and certainly don't take 800mg if you were told not to because of a health problem. But, when I have bad cramps or a migraine, I will easily take 800mg of ibuprofen in a day. I don't do this for consecutive days, because ibuprofen does harm to stomach lining over time.

The bottle actually says "do not exceed 6 tablets in 24 hours" which means you can safely take 1200mg of ibuprofen in ONE DAY - NOT consecutive. Just for one day.

DEFINITELY don't confuse ibuprofen with acetaminophen either - this is what is in Midol. Don't double up your Midols. Bad news.

I'm a pharmacy student.
    There is a reason 600mg and 800mg are only available on prescription.
    You shouldn't take that much unless your doctor tells you to. Just because you can take 6 (1200mg) in a day doesn't mean you should take it all at once.

ETA: If you take too much it might not be serious, but in some cases it is.
    Ibuprofen causes gastric ulceration which can cause gastric bleeding. It can also affect your CNS causing issues such as drowsiness and dizziness, and could potentially put you in a coma in ICU.
    Not worth the risk IMO.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Take 3 or 4.

No more!!

I'm a pharmacy student.
    There is a reason 600mg and 800mg are only available on prescription.
    You shouldn't take that much unless your doctor tells you to. Just because you can take 6 (1200mg) in a day doesn't mean you should take it all at once.

I'm married to a pharmacist. He says one day of 800 mg of ibuprofen is fine.
  • Rdlm1001
    Rdlm1001 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I find I need 4 liquid Advil every 4-6 hours to get through the 1st 2 days of my period 2 wouldn't even touch it. This is the advice my OBGYN gave. If you take 800 mg ib brouphen (Advil, Motrin) the first couple of days, it can lighten your flow. Mine is stupid heavy. It really does help. Also orgasms and sex can shorten your period and ease cramping. Just make sure you eat with it. 800 mg of Ib brouphen is the prescription strength. Always eat with it. Even if you don't feel like it is hurting you , it can cause stomach ulcers. Stupid curse.....
  • Rdlm1001
    Rdlm1001 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This TOM I only skipped one day. Normally I just pop a Midol and do something, even if it's just 15 minutes on the elliptical, mostly to keep the routine going if nothing else.

I have extremely heavy periods (to the point where I can ONLY use pads because Tampons... yeah... NO. AND extreme cramps. I find that on weeks that I work out, the cramping is a lot easier to deal with and shorter in duration. I'm hoping this improves as I lose weight...

Have you ever grid menstrual cups? I use Instead which is like a diaphragm but there are also the Moon Cup and the Diva cup which fit differently. I would blow through a tampon and pad in less than an hour. The cups are amazing. I am able to go 8 hours with just a panty liner as a back up. There is a learning curve for removal and "dumping" but once I tried it and got it, I have never looked back. Also with the instead you can have sex without the mess. Just fits like the diaphragm so it works well for when Aunt Flow decides to show up on vacation or Valentine's day.
  • BreatheAshley
    BreatheAshley Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if it is okay to not work out during your period or until it at least lightens up?

When I was in high school I had such bad pains during my period that I'd have to miss school and I'd spend the day at home crying and throwing up.
    When I got to college, I joined the rowing team, greatly increasing my physical activity. The period pain disappeared. I've heard other women who have similar experiences. If you have pain from your monthly, there's a good chance that increasing your physical activity and fitness will help to get rid of that pain.
    It worked for me.

I have been working out so I hope when I lose more weight that it will get better.