Lost almost 70 lbs, now I'm losing my hair too?

Options
2»

Replies

• kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I was just watching a video about a gal that had lost over a 100 lb and one thing she also started losing was her hair - lots and lots of hair. Her doctor prescribed her a prenatal vitamin, because she wasn't getting enough nutrients on the low calorie diet she was on. I would definitely discuss it with your doctor and just make sure you are getting enough good fats and vitamins/minerals in your diet.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above about seeing your doctor. Additionally, iron supplements should only be taken if you are certain there is a deficiency. Your body does not get rid of excess, so you can become toxic with it. Please be careful.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Gratz on your weight loss. I would not ignore hair loss, I would definitely see a doctor. Could be low calories, vitamin deficiencies or underlying health issue. I love a multi from a company called KatALyst and the vitamin supplement is called For Her. Their website is down last i checked for maintenance but should be back shortly. I would also suggest doing some research on
    L-cysteine before deciding to use supplements. Most hair supplements contain it. Good Luck.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. My hair has remained thin. I wear it shorter now. Hoping it would grow in, but nope. I saw the doc. Couldn't find a single reason my hair would fall out. I eat healthy, I eat enough calories, I take vitamins, I exercise. You know what she finally told me... stop wearing my hair in a ponytail. WHAT!? So, little girls across America are losing their hair due to the dreaded ponytail?!
  • AmyBinthe603
    AmyBinthe603 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try to up your protein.. This has happened to me in the past, and I found that if I eat more protein , it helps. But also see your doctor to make sure everything else is okay. A tube of blood can tell you lots!
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My hair is falling out too. And my nails are peeling.
    For me, I wonder if its a combination of things: 1. Calorie restriction 2. Age/menopause 3. Simvastatin ......my MD didn't think it was a big deal. It bothers me! I have no answers. I am trying to eat more protein and take a multi vitamin.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've seen it posted on this thread a few times, but my understanding is large weightloss can cause hair loss. Usually due to not enough protein...so they say. I had 4 friends all who had bypass surgery..they all suffered that problem and we all told it was due to not enough protein. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i lost a lot of hair when i cut my calories to 1200 and below (pre mfp) yeah i lost the weight (about 50lbs), but wasn't worth it, took about 6 months for it to stop, now nearly 3 years on my hair is almost back to normal, although a lot shorter
    if your worried go to see a doctor just to rule out other causes, if it is your diet it should slow down and stop now you've upped your calorie intake
    i hope yours doesn't end up as bad as mine x
  • Kar3n84
    Kar3n84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I was on a very low calorie diet 800-1000/per day and dropped 100 lbs, my hair fell out in clumps. I felt like everytime I touched it 5-10 strands would easily fall out. That was with me being proactive and taking Biotin before this started happening as well. It did nothing for me and ultimately I had to stop my diet. I had to stop putting my hair back in a pony tail and ended up cutting it really short. My hair took over a year, almost 2 years, to return to its old growth patterns. It's one of the unfortunate side effects of losing weight rapidly. I'd definitely go see a doctor though just to be sure there are no other issues to be concerned about.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    happened to me when my calories were too low in late November, I immediately increased them and it fixed itself less than a month - now it's getting thicker and longer than ever
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I have lost 130 and my hair has gotten thicker since I upped my proteins. It makes you lose fat rather than muscle.
  • Ma_Vie
    Options
    Yes; tight ponytails and braids cause traction alopecia (pulling hair) Over time, the hair stops growing back, or becomes very thin, when the follicles are damaged or the scalp develops tiny scars from the pulling.