Clean Eaters. Your experience.

Options

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Its unfortunate people cannot have a mature conversation about this w/o being total d-bags.

I started a move towards eating less processed foods and more whole foods initially to drop some lbs. What I found was increased energy levels, a healthier digestive system, and less of a feel that I was depriving myself. These factors firmly set my feelings on eating this way. I don't demonize certain foods, but I know from experience that eating them makes me feel like crap. So I have no desire to do so. This isn't to say I don't indulge on occasion, but when I do its foods that don't adversely affect me. (Ice cream, pizza, wings, homemade cookies in moderation)
    I've been that person that ate any and all junkie food while still being fit and healthy. But once I became the person eating 90% clean and saw how my energy and body positively responded, there is nothing that can convince me eating crap is ok.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    When I wash my food.

JK

Actually I believe in eating food from the earth and not from a package. But for sanity's sake I'm not 100%.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its unfortunate people cannot have a mature conversation about this w/o being total d-bags.

I started a move towards eating less processed foods and more whole foods initially to drop some lbs. What I found was increased energy levels, a healthier digestive system, and less of a feel that I was depriving myself. These factors firmly set my feelings on eating this way. I don't demonize certain foods, but I know from experience that eating them makes me feel like crap. So I have no desire to do so. This isn't to say I don't indulge on occasion, but when I do its foods that don't adversely affect me. (Ice cream, pizza, wings, homemade cookies in moderation)
    I've been that person that ate any and all junkie food while still being fit and healthy. But once I became the person eating 90% clean and saw how my energy and body positively responded, there is nothing that can convince me eating crap is ok.

Joking aside, even us dirty eaters follow what you do. There seems to be a lot of jokes because this (along with wheat bellies diets, switch to "XX" diet or using pills) because they are fads. If you look at many of the most successful people and long term members, there are many common themes. We eat nutritious foods as will as hitting our macronutrient goals. But after hitting our main goals, we will eat ice cream or xx "treat" while not exceeding caloric goals.

If your preference to go organic or cut process foods is to help increase the amount of nutrients you are getting, great, but understand that regardless of the type of foods or diet you use, calories and accuracy of logging them is the most important thing. And health is a lot more than just calories.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

Joking aside, even us dirty eaters follow what you do. There seems to be a lot of jokes because this (along with wheat bellies diets, switch to "XX" diet or using pills) because they are fads. If you look at many of the most successful people and long term members, there are many common themes. We eat nutritious foods as will as hitting our macronutrient goals. But after hitting our main goals, we will eat ice cream or xx "treat" while not exceeding caloric goals.

If your preference to go organic or cut process foods is to help increase the amount of nutrients you are getting, great, but understand that regardless of the type of foods or diet you use, calories and accuracy of logging them is the most important thing. And health is a lot more than just calories.

Totaly agree there is a lot more to health then just calories.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    And every other "clean eating" thread ever in existence? :grumble:
    Still wondering what clean eating is.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/23/health/clean-eating/index.html?hpt=he_c2
  • mina5000
    Options
    I love eating clean :D
    making new combinations of food enjoying the quick cooking. My skin is better, my energy is better and i dont binge any more. I also eat gluten free, I have a very weak belly so eating clean is perfect for me

I love Nakd bars
    i have corn crackers with natural peanut butter
    grated apple in 0% greek yoghurt with pumpkin seeds
    brown rice and steamed veggies

a cheat meal on friday keeps me motivated :D
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Hi people who consider themselves clean eaters, or are working toward eating more clean. What does eating clean mean for you? Why did you decide to eat this way? Did you do it all at once, or did it evolve and how? What challenges or setbacks have you faced in your chosen way of eating. What solutions did you find? Are you trying to make any changes? What results to you think you diet has led to? Physically or lifestyle wise.

This is meant to be completely subjective, so please don't burn people who are just telling their own story.

This is a pretty good summary of clean eating:
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/23/health/clean-eating/index.html?hpt=he_c2

I started eating this way because I was sick all the time and my doctors couldn't figure out why. They suggested I start an "aggressive Mirilax regimen", which seemed to me to be only a way to cure SOME of my symptoms and in no way helped whatever was causing it.

I evolved slowly and then did a Whole30. I started out eliminating artificial sweeteners and then most added sugars (not from fruit & veggies) and then bread/pasta. From there a did a Whole30 (whole30.com).

This has led to a nearly 100% elimination of my symptoms, significant weight loss, clearer skin, more energy, better sleep, clearer mind. Some might argue that I spend more on food now, but I think the higher grocery bill is a wash with spending less on dining out. Also, I get about 4 meals out of a pound of ground beef & some veggies vs. 1 or 2 meals out of a boxed or frozen dinner. Also, my husband and I have grown to really enjoy our time together in the kitchen and even though my co-workers like to poke fun at me about my food choices, they are often envious at how good my food looks/tastes/smells. Home cooked meals are always a better quality that some boxed/canned/frozen food.

My advice: have fun with it. Don't stress out over being perfect or being 100%. Find what works for you and enjoy the ride! I've tried so many new foods including veggies in the last 2 years. It's like an adventure!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    It makes for a soggy sammich.
  • Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is the only thing that has CURED my migraines. For me, clean eating means avoiding "foods" with chemicals, flavorings, stabilizers, etc. or foods that are overly processed. These foods are normally very high in MSG. The FDA allows food manufactures to label MSG in hidden ways, calling it such things as yeast extract, natural flavors, whey protein, etc. Besides migraines, MSG is linked to numerous other ailments. However, because it is ubiquitous in the food supply, most people who are affected, don't realize it. Check out msgmyth.com for info if interested. The site is full of data.

I eat everything...chips, cookies, ice cream...in moderation of course. Baked goods, I make myself to ensure they are "clean". I bake my own bread. It's only ingredients are whole wheat, water, yeast, and salt. Most unflavored varieties of corn and potato chips are clean (the only ingredients are potatoes/corn, oil, salt). I buy organic, GMO- free because I don't enjoy ingesting Round-Up. Vanilla Haagen Daz ice cream is completely safe and the chocolate isn't too bad either.

After years of suffering and taking heavy duty meds, I'm normally migraine-free. Is clean eating worth it? You bet!

The only downside is that it's harder to travel and eat out. I do the best I can, but will get headaches during these times.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    For me, clean eating means avoiding "foods" with chemicals, flavorings,
    I like food that has flavour personally.
    I also like food that has substance, rather than being a vacuum.
    That's why I'm happy to have both chemicals AND 'flavourings' in my food ;).

I personally suspect that many of the people who found 'clean eating' cured an ailment were probably intolerant to one or a small group of ingredients - and by doing what they call 'clean', have removed it.
    I don't see that as a reason to promote it as a general solution for everyone.

For instance, I come out in a rash using some washing powders.
    I now only use a very small selection of 'sensitive' washing powders. That doesn't mean I go and tell everyone else to cut out everything but this small group from their washing choices because they will be healthier for it (I was.)
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I count calories as a way to rebel agianst restricting foods or food groups.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Oh and I was also just thinking... I had under 6 hours sleep. Did a 5k muddy off road run in inappropriate footwear fasted after only having eaten 1350 calories last night. Good bit of food in the day time, then 'Big three' heavy weights session in the evening.
    If 'clean eating' ACTUALLY gave me more energy, I'm staying away - don't feel tired at all and really need to readust my sleeping pattern back a bit as will be going to working with others on a contract for a bit vs self employed and just me.
  • Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For me, clean eating means avoiding "foods" with chemicals, flavorings,
    I like food that has flavour personally.
    I also like food that has substance, rather than being a vacuum.
    That's why I'm happy to have both chemicals AND 'flavourings' in my food ;).

I personally suspect that many of the people who found 'clean eating' cured an ailment were probably intolerant to one or a small group of ingredients - and by doing what they call 'clean', have removed it.
    I don't see that as a reason to promote it as a general solution for everyone.

For instance, I come out in a rash using some washing powders.
    I now only use a very small selection of 'sensitive' washing powders. That doesn't mean I go and tell everyone else to cut out everything but this small group from their washing choices because they will be healthier for it (I was.)

1) I didn't say I eat flavorless food. I eat fantastic food that tastes great. Clean eating ( to me anyway) can include all manner of salt, fats, sugars, and spices. It DOES not include flavor enhancers that work to trick the brain (not true flavors) created in a lab that are potentially harmful.
    Example: Doritos and cheese whiz = terrible migraine with vomiting, blurred Vision, night sweats, racing heart
    Tortilla chips dipped in salsa, guacamole, and garlicky goat cheese = happy tummy, happy head, nice sleep

2) I used to eat all manner of junk food with abandon. I used to love Doritos, Ben and Jerry's, etc. But then I started getting sick and was SICK for 10 years before I made the MSG connection. Because MSG is hidden in so many ingredient labels, it is almost impossible to avoid in most packaged foods.
    3) It is possible to develop sensitivity to MSG at any point in your life. Also migraine is only one way it manifests. So just because you feel great now, does not mean that it won't start impacting you at some point.
    4) Most studies on MSG have been funded by the very companies that have a stake in its continued usage. And these companies have some of the most powerful lobbies.
    5)But--if you do the digging, you can find all sorts of studies showing that it is bad news...on many fronts.
    6) I was extremely skeptical that a diet change would have such a powerful impact on my health.
    7) I could care less what you or others eat. Your life. Your body. Your choice. Enjoy.
    8) I am only writing this because I hurt for years needlessly. Maybe there is someone out there in myfitnesspal-land who would find this info helpful.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options

Thank you. I hate when the arguments start because that's usually when people stop contributing. Hearing your experience is valuable.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I love eating clean :D
    making new combinations of food enjoying the quick cooking. My skin is better, my energy is better and i dont binge any more. I also eat gluten free, I have a very weak belly so eating clean is perfect for me

I love Nakd bars
    i have corn crackers with natural peanut butter
    grated apple in 0% greek yoghurt with pumpkin seeds
    brown rice and steamed veggies

a cheat meal on friday keeps me motivated :D

Love the grated apple idea! I like trying to find more uses for plain yogurt so that I don't have to buy a bunch of different stuff.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    When I started eating clean in 1984, there was no such term. I have a lot of food allergies and was really sick from it, so, after consulting with two doctors, I chose to not eat anything that came in a can, box or bottle. I cooked everything from scratch. I ate fish, vegetables, beans, fruit, nuts, seeds and whole grains. I'd even go to a farm to pick my own vegetables and with those veggies, I'd make enough spaghetti sauce to last a year, or I'd make my own frozen vegetables. I'd make my own bread, etc. I drank water, mineral water or herbal tea. Over the years, I added lean meat, poultry and low-fat, lactose-free dairy to my diet (I'm lactose intolerant). My kids grew up on wholesome, healthy, home-cooked meals.

It's 30 years later, and I'm not young anymore. I don't have the energy to pick vegetables, make bread, stand up all day blanching veggies or make a year's worth of anything. So, now I do the best I can. I still eat a lot of fresh vegetables, whole grains, fresh fruit, beans, nuts and seeds. At least 5 days a week, all 3 of my daily meals are home-cooked (I eat dinner leftovers for lunch to make it easier). But, I now have things like decaf coffee, creamer, and the occasional processed food. Weekend meals are more relaxed. I don't do any weekend cooking, so I generally have leftovers of our homemade meals. This weekend, it's leftover: vegetable chili, egg salad, chicken and veggies. I had a Subway salad today for lunch because going out to eat--even to Subway--makes life more fun.

I still do better than the standard American diet. I probably do the 80/20 approach that others here have mentioned. When I get careless and eat "junk food," I feel it--my allergies/asthma flare up, my stomach rebels, I get headaches.

My health is better when I stick to a diet that emphasizes lean meats, poultry, fish, low-fat dairy, beans, nuts, seeds, whole grains and fruits while minimizing processed foods.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    To me clean eating: veggies (frozen or fresh -- imo, don't like the taste of canned - plus don't like the sodium), fruits (fresh or frozen, again no canned), and lean meat (boneless skinless chicken), teas, fish (salmon, cod, and shrimp are my top picks), oatmeal, eggs, protein powders, etc...

I didn't know I was a clean eater. I eat like this person here ^, but I don't do it for weight reasons. I have some food allergies that make finding safe, processed choices difficult, inconvenient, and expensive. So I basically cook most of my food at home from scratch.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    No processed foods. Prepare everything from whole natural ingredients.
    How do you 'prepare' foods without 'processing'?
    For example, I consider raw milk to be whole. "Clean" is not a word I use, but for this thread, I would call raw milk "clean."
    Raw milk is also "unprocessed." If I left the raw milk in a container on my counter for 2 days, it would turn into cheese. Unprocessed, "clean" cheese, with no artificial color or other additives. American cheese would be in stark contrast to my homemade cheese.
    "Clean", unprocessed food does not have to be raw, though.
    Some processes improve a food's digestibility and nutrition. For example, freshly ground wheat is hard to digest, and an incomplete protein. If you add yeast and water to it, then let it go through the process of fermentation (as to make bread), vitamins are developed ( a full compliment of b-vitamins), phytic acid is removed/changed (making it digestible), and a complete protein develops.
    The type of "processing" that makes a food to be not "clean" would be, for example, taking that wheat and removing the bran and the germ (inside the grain), so that the flour can sit on the shelf of your grocery store until you buy it. This type of process does not improve nutrition, and can actually be harmful to your health.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Hi people who consider themselves clean eaters, or are working toward eating more clean. What does eating clean mean for you? Why did you decide to eat this way? Did you do it all at once, or did it evolve and how? What challenges or setbacks have you faced in your chosen way of eating. What solutions did you find? Are you trying to make any changes? What results to you think you diet has led to? Physically or lifestyle wise.

This is meant to be completely subjective, so please don't burn people who are just telling their own story.

I want to eat organic some day, if that's what you mean by clean. I wouldn't personally refer to it as "clean eating," I would just call it organic. Everybody seems to have a different definition around here. Sadly, organic foods are about double the price of regular foods. Organic candy bars are SUPER expensive. I WANT to do it because I suffer from idiopathic urticaria. . .which basically means that my body can "decide" that it's being invaded by allergens and then it produces excess histamine to fight them off which results in hives all over my body. No doctor has been able to figure out what I'm "allergic" to but through my own research, this seems the most plausible. I presented my theory to my doctor and he suggested eating organic to rule out an allergy to some kind of pesticide or something similar.

If I ever have enough money to actually do this, I imagine it would be as all at once as possible, but I expect that it would take some time to locate stores that have an organic version of certain items I may want to purchase. BUT. I work reduced "full-time" hours while I'm paying to put myself through full time school, so I doubt this will happen any time soon. I'll just keep popping Loratadine in the mean time since that works most days to keep away the itchiness.
  • RunRachelRunnn
    Options
    Well to me clean eating has been like mostly all whole foods like when i'm shopping i try to stay on the perimeter of the store where most of the healthier foods are like meats, dairy, veggies, fruit, grains. I try to stay away from the inside isles. So basically like eating minimally processed foods that haven't undergone much processing and have very few ingredients.

I also eat organically clean as in animals that aren't treated with harmful chemicals or hormones, and by choosing organic for veggies that you eat the outer parts like peppers, apples, cucumbers, whereas i don't get organic for bananas or avacados because they are covered.

Eating clean is expensive but i don't want to put a price on my life later and suffer the consequences.... I guess you prioritize for what's most important for you.