Feeling like a loser, workout fail

Options
I had recently purchased 2 new workout DVD's to get back into exercising again. One is a yoga for beginners and the other a Jillian Micheals circuit for beginners. 5 minutes into each one I was dying and gave up. I used to be very fit and now I cant even get through this. Does anyone know anything I can do at home to help me prepare for these workouts? Walking outside is not an option, its minus 40 celcius here and I dont have a treadmill. Joining the gym is also not an option because I have a small baby, a husband that works 24/7 and no-one to watch her.
What are some things I can do to build up my fitness level?
Sorry, I just needed to vent and am feeling very discouraged by all of this right now .

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I think that any effort you make is a success...keep trying and you will improve with time. As you improve you will feel better. Don't give up! You can do this and it will get easier. :flowerforyou:
  • ButtercupSuckedItUp
    Options
    Do what you can and push yourself to do a little more of the DVD each time. I did the Couch to 5K program to start running and that is how it works--you gradually do more and more. Just keep pushing, take it a day at a time, and you will make progress. Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it and you will find your stamina improving. Never give up!
  • lmmathis86
    lmmathis86 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Okay so first off I understand..if you have the cookies in your hand put them down! Its okay we can do this togeather! Work out dvd been there done that and it was hard AT FIRST...after the first week it got better. I would break the video up when i did them. 15min in the morning of if you have to do 10min and then some in the afternoon and so on. Also if you dont have weights start lifting can goods. Remember every little thing you do is helping. So during the day stop and do 15 jumping jacks,or 9 squats or if your like me two pushups. :) Run in place for a min or two. If you do this during the day it will make it better for you when you put on the dvd! Remember it takes time. Any work out you do is still more than the person sitting on the couch! Good luck!
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    Someone told me today about a youtube fitness video that is low impact. I tried it today and loved it. It is called walk away the pounds with leslie sansone. You can do it without the equiptment. It is fun and goes by fast.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Start with something lighter and work your way up. I am obese and when I starting doing 'basic step' -- not even the crazy flailing around step aerobics, but just basic step with knee lifts, step overs, and that kind of thing, not super streneous, well I would get exhausted, and my legs, stomach, and butt would ache terribly . . . that was with a 4" beginners step.

We can't RUN back into fitness. We can walk back to fitness. :)

Don't expect it to happen over night. I'd say every 2-3 weeks, I notice a work out feels eaiser and then I can change it or try more.

I don't know if you're especially heavy or just not used to exercising, but ease yourself into it. Some people go all out and try to do major workouts and hurt themselves or get so achy they give up. Exercise should be pleasant. It should be something you enjoy that makes you feel better, not worse.

I like walking, stepping (use a 6" step now), and tai chi. Find what you like, explore free videos on youtube and try different things till you find something you like.

Leslie Sansone - Walk at Home videos were a great start for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBgB_cqDiXs start with just one mile and do a cooldown and stretch afterwards

I still don't work out as fast as some of the people in the videos I use, and that's okay, too!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Believe me, you are not the first to struggle and you certainly won't be the last. When I first started working out (and I was also formerly fit from high school sports), I was falling all over the place, making the most pansy punches, and had to take WAY too many breaks for my liking. I started with Body Revolution, which is kind of similar since it's also a Jillian program. I took breaks when I needed to and modified to be able to get through some of the harder exercises. After a few days, I was taking fewer breaks and was able to make small improvements. Modifying really helped since it wasn't just about my fitness level, but my bad knee. So having lower impact options helped me get through a lot of those moves without hurting myself. I know it's easier said than done, but don't turn the video off. Even if you get frustrated and stop, let it keep playing. After a minute break or a drink of water, you might feel better and keep going. Even if you end up on the couch while it finishes, just let it play! I found that I got back up and started following it even if I had to take a minute or two to recover. But you will improve. Everyone has to start somewhere! Don't feel discouraged! :flowerforyou:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    As stated by others, keep at it. You will find that you get better each time.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Search youtube for Leslie Sansone walking workouts to do in your living room. May help you to ease into. Good luck!! :smile:
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My first fitness video I ever did I only made it 6.5 minutes into it! It took me over a week to make it all the way through, and I had really weak moves. I'm just saying, if you keep trying you can build up to it! It's ok to start slow!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Do smaller impact versions of the moves and take water breaks. That's what I had to do at first, and really find the inner strength to push myself beyond what I thought I could do. When I first started running I could walk faster than I could run but then 3 months later I ran a 5K. Now what I do new exercises I look at it like conquering the challenge. I was also an athlete in high school.
  • bd0001
    bd0001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! What kind words you all wrote. I will be trying again in the morning, hopefully it goes a bit better. I will look into Leslie for the youtube videos. A year and a half ago I was in the best shape of my life so its so hard accepting that I am no longer that. Its wonderful to have mfp for all this encouragement, thank you all and I wish each one of you the best journey.

On a side note, I almost ordered pizza but sonehow decided it wasnt a good idea. Just logging in and reading all of your comments made my night.
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Be gentle on yourself. Keep moving forward no matter how small those steps are.

We will be here to cheer you on as you accomplish greater and greater feats! :flowerforyou:
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think the key saying here is, "Do your best, and forget the rest."

I understand (and sympathize with) the frustration at not being able to do as much as you'd hoped, and feeling like it's such a long road back.

It only feels that way because it is a long road back - but it's a worthwhile one.

If you are doing the DVD and it's so hard that in order to even finish it you would have to push pause and stop to gain your breath? Well... push pause and stop to gain your breath, and then jump back in.

If you can't do the whole thing today - do what you can, and then next time come back and do just a little more... and then a little more... and then a little more.

Just go until your body says you can't do any more, rather than until your brain does. Our brains sometimes are more tired than our bodies really are... :wink:

Hang in there. It will get better!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Just don't quit. Take a breather (or several) if you need it, then finish the video
  • tis_i
    tis_i Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yay! Good for you for reaching out instead of just stopping and going away!

We are all in a marathon, not a sprint. Take it easy on yourself. At some point all of us were probably in shape and able to go, go, go. But that was then and this is now. You wouldn't tell any of us to give up I'm sure. So, be as loving and kind to yourself as you'd be to any of your co-strugglers! We are all needing support and its so easy to give up whenever we are reminded that we aren't where we want to be...already.

As Scarlet O-Hare would say, "Tomorrow is another day!"

The many people who mentioned Leslie Sansone's walking exercise program. I have a good friend who uses her tapes religiously for years to help her overcome a health issue and she has lost a bunch of weight! I went over to her house and did it one day and it was quite a workout to start with, but you can tone it down and build up to larger larger movements as your stamina and strength build up. I was able to get some from the library, but if they are on YouTube, even better! I think you can buy them online or from ebay too.

You'll find your perfect solution if you are looking :)