Birth Control Help- Desperate!!!!

Options
Hello just looking for some helpful feedback or advice.

I have been on birth control for about 6 years. I started with Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, didn't have any problems with it. I started having serious anxiety and went into a walk in clinic with panic attack who blamed my birth control. Switched it to Lo oval, starting having bad periods so I went to a new doctor... She was upset and gave me ortho cyclen..... but not the lo....

I am so moody all the time, just mood swings like crazy. Emotional at the drop of a hat. Gained like 10 pounds. Feel nauseas all the time. Harder cramps. and now I am having headaches..... Did anybody else have this problem? I feel like I am loosing my mind! I am going to make an appointment Monday but thought id see if anybody else had problems with orth cyclen (or monessa the generic)... and if anybody have success with something else? or had success with ortho tri cyclen lo?
any feedback is greatly apperciated

Replies

• ninajenay
    ninajenay Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was a mess too when I was on OrthoCyclen and Mononessa. Moody all the time, cravings, brittle hair and nails, migraines, pretty much everything that could go wrong. I don't remember what brand I was on before those but it was a pill, one hormone level like those, and it didn't give me the bad symptoms. After that I tried the NuvaRing and absolutely loved it except for the price being about double the pill. I now have a Mirena IUD, which I love, but of course that isn't for everybody although I'd highly recommend looking into it. I'd say to just try something besides OrthoCyclen and see how it works.

ETA: Birth control is going to be completely different just depending on your body, but basically I like the methods that centralize the hormones better than pills and what not because they seem to have fewer negative side effects.
  • KrysBlaze
    KrysBlaze Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You're probably going to lol at me, but unless you need it in order to have regular periods then it's best to just come off everything for a while until your body resets. While you're trying to lose weight, logic of MFP, you are actually going through changes anyway, both hormonal & psychological. If you're just using it for sex, stop having sex, it's obviously not helping your moods (only partly joking bc women release "happy hormones" during orgasm). Vaya con Dios
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You're probably going to lol at me, but unless you need it in order to have regular periods then it's best to just come off everything for a while until your body resets. While you're trying to lose weight, logic of MFP, you are actually going through changes anyway, both hormonal & psychological. If you're just using it for sex, stop having sex, it's obviously not helping your moods (only partly joking bc women release "happy hormones" during orgasm). Vaya con Dios

I would advise basically the exact opposite of this.

Try to get back on OTC-L. Different people have different reactions to different forms of birth control, but if that was working well I'd stick with it.
  • KrysBlaze
    Options
    I was a mess too when I was on OrthoCyclen and Mononessa. Moody all the time, cravings, brittle hair and nails, migraines, pretty much everything that could go wrong. I don't remember what brand I was on before those but it was a pill, one hormone level like those, and it didn't give me the bad symptoms. After that I tried the NuvaRing and absolutely loved it except for the price being about double the pill. I now have a Mirena IUD, which I love, but of course that isn't for everybody although I'd highly recommend looking into it. I'd say to just try something besides OrthoCyclen and see how it works.

IUD is another option, but maybe if you don't ever want kids? I've heard horror stories & they have class action suits due to perforations into cervix & puncturing organs.
  • KrysBlaze
    Options

Try to get back on OTC-L. Different people have different reactions to different forms of birth control, but if that was working well I'd stick with it.

She was having anxiety attacks on the Lo. It only takes 3 weeks (21 days) to reset lol
    Again UNLESS, she needs it to regulate her cycle.
  • ninajenay
    Options

IUD is another option, but maybe if you don't ever want kids? I've heard horror stories & they have class action suits due to perforations into cervix & puncturing organs.

It can happen, but it's incredibly rare and it is usually always due to an inexperienced doctor putting it in. I don't think I've ever heard of it disabling anyone from being able to have children though. I looked into the dangers a ton before I got mine and determined it's not any more risky than normal birth control (or not being on it at all... Terrible idea.)
  • Achrya
    Options

She was having anxiety attacks on the Lo. It only takes 3 weeks (21 days) to reset lol
    Again UNLESS, she needs it to regulate her cycle.
    No, she was fine on the OTC-L, her issues were in the lo-orval and then normal OTC.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You have to find the correct cocktail of hormones for you, or maybe try a non-hormonal BC. Have you looked into the Paraguard IUD? I had it for a while and really liked it, but it does give very intense cramping and longer, heavier periods. I had to get rid of it due to PID, and have the Nexplanon implant now. Liking it so far, but my body is still getting used to the hormonal treatment again.
  • shelbz09
    shelbz09 Posts: 115
    Options
    Thank you every body! I really appreciate it!

I think my anxiety was from moving out at 17/being homeless and starting college all on my own. I was lost and I think the doctor was kinda (stupid) hate to be like that but, he put me on depression meds and it made me suicidal, told him and he kept telling me to stick it out.... (which now being 22, I understand that if you feel that way, wing yourself off.... at 17 and alone, I was like totally convienced from him)

Thank you everybody! I don't have kiddos, and not really sure about the IUD because of all the scarey stories.. I will look into the nuva ring!
  • KrysBlaze
    Options

It can happen, but it's incredibly rare and it is usually always due to an inexperienced doctor putting it in. I don't think I've ever heard of it disabling anyone from being able to have children though. I looked into the dangers a ton before I got mine and determined it's not any more risky than normal birth control (or not being on it at all... Terrible idea.)
    http://www.motleyrice.com/medical-devices/mirena-iud-lawyers?gclid=CMOO7Ii1vrwCFQxo7Aodl2AA5A

Sorry it wasn't the cervix, it's the Uterus that's damaged.
  • Achrya
    Options

I think my anxiety was from moving out at 17/being homeless and starting college all on my own. I was lost and I think the doctor was kinda (stupid) hate to be like that but, he put me on depression meds and it made me suicidal, told him and he kept telling me to stick it out.... (which now being 22, I understand that if you feel that way, wing yourself off.... at 17 and alone, I was like totally convienced from him)

Thank you everybody! I don't have kiddos, and not really sure about the IUD because of all the scarey stories.. I will look into the nuva ring!

The arm implant, nexaplanon, is pretty cool. I've had mine in for about a year and I kind of love it.
  • KrysBlaze
    Options

Oh yeah, I have heard good things about that one. It's like the pill for your yoni :)
  • ninajenay
    Options

I think NuvaRing has been my favorite so far! It is really convenient and has a much lower dose of hormones.

Like I said, the IUD isn't for everyone (although any risks from it are almost nonexistent if you go to a clinic that knows what they are doing). I've had it for a year and the only negative part of it was getting it put in, but it was totally worth hardly having a period and never having to remember taking a pill or anything.
  • Hishtagat
    Hishtagat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I swear by copper IUDs, personally. Always tolerated hormone-based contraceptives rather poorly, and the occasional irregular cycle and spotting the copper can cause is a small price to pay. Never experienced the stronger cramping or flow that some women seem to get from it, so it's definitely not a guaranteed side-effect.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I am an Ob/Gyn, so I'm going to put in my two cents simply because I want to help...

1) Go see an Ob/Gyn. Not a walk in clinic, not a family doc, not a naturopath, etc. If you're having "girl issues", go to the "girl doctor". We have more training that anyone else in this arena, period (pardon the pun).

2) Do NOT use Dr. Google when researching birth control EVER. I mean it. EVER. If you want good info, go to www.ACOG.org or directly to the manufacturer websites of whatever method you are looking at, then go see your Ob/Gyn and discuss why or why not your chosen method may be good (or bad) for you. Yes, they will promote their product, but they MUST, by law, include their testing results, efficacy, etc on the websites. Everyone and their Grandma (literally) has a horror story about every birth control out there, which brings me to...

3) There is NO FORM OF BIRTH CONTROL that IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN PREGNANCY. Seriously. You can look it up. Pregnancy kills.

4) Birth control pills do not "cause" anxiety or panic attacks. You HAVE anxiety and/or panic attacks and you should talk to your (regular) doctor about that. You may need therapy, coping strategies, stress reduction, different exercise routines, more sleep, anti-anxiety meds, or a change in your OCP....but your OCP is likely dead last in that list. OCPs usually make hormonal fluctuations better, not worse, although everyone is different and you may not be on the right combo for you, which can exacerbate your anxiety.

5) IUDs are actually one of the safest forms of birth control out there and serious complications from them are very, very rare. The dreaded "perforation" does occur, usually with providers who are not used to putting them in as often as the average ob/gyn does (i.e.: family practice docs, physician assistants, midwives, nurse practitioners, etc), but some do them quite frequently, so you just need to ask how comfortable they are with the process. Good providers of all types will be honest with you...body language speaks volumes. I am personally on my second IUD and I would consider nothing else...and I do this for a living.

As an aside, even if perforation does occur, it is more of an "inconvenience" than a danger. The uterus is a very thick, tough muscle. It closes right up after the IUD pokes through (think of poking a skewer through a steak and then pulling it back out....graphic, but accurate). There is usually very little, if any bleeding, and the IUD is small, soft, and inert. The "danger" comes from a) it not being in the right spot and you getting pregnant b) it moving to a spot where it gets lodged and we can retrieve it...and THEN it tries to poke something important. This would literally be a 1 in a million situation. Most of the time, they just end up floating around with your intestines and we fish them out, without incident, via laparoscopic surgery.

6) There is NO perfect form of birth control...they all have potential complications, but again.....see #3!!!!
  • KrysBlaze
    Options
    I am an Ob/Gyn, so I'm going to put in my two cents simply because I want to help...

1) Go see an Ob/Gyn. Not a walk in clinic, not a family doc, not a naturopath, etc. If you're having "girl issues", go to the "girl doctor". We have more training that anyone else in this arena, period (pardon the pun).

2) Do NOT use Dr. Google when researching birth control EVER. I mean it. EVER. If you want good info, go to www.ACOG.org or directly to the manufacturer websites of whatever method you are looking at, then go see your Ob/Gyn and discuss why or why not your chosen method may be good (or bad) for you. Yes, they will promote their product, but they MUST, by law, include their testing results, efficacy, etc on the websites. Everyone and their Grandma (literally) has a horror story about every birth control out there, which brings me to...

3) There is NO FORM OF BIRTH CONTROL that IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN PREGNANCY. Seriously. You can look it up. Pregnancy kills.

4) Birth control pills do not "cause" anxiety or panic attacks. You HAVE anxiety and/or panic attacks and you should talk to your (regular) doctor about that. You may need therapy, coping strategies, stress reduction, different exercise routines, more sleep, anti-anxiety meds, or a change in your OCP....but your OCP is likely dead last in that list. OCPs usually make hormonal fluctuations better, not worse, although everyone is different and you may not be on the right combo for you, which can exacerbate your anxiety.

5) IUDs are actually one of the safest forms of birth control out there and serious complications from them are very, very rare. The dreaded "perforation" does occur, usually with providers who are not used to putting them in as often as the average ob/gyn does (i.e.: family practice docs, physician assistants, midwives, nurse practitioners, etc), but some do them quite frequently, so you just need to ask how comfortable they are with the process. Good providers of all types will be honest with you...body language speaks volumes. I am personally on my second IUD and I would consider nothing else...and I do this for a living.

6) There is NO perfect form of birth control...they all have potential complications, but again.....see #3!!!!

Off topic --sorta : Can I say I love that you're a blonde with the name Spinderella and you're talking about sex AND baby....

Couldn't resist lol
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options

Off topic --sorta : Can I say I love that you're a blonde with the name Spinderella and you're talking about sex AND baby....

Couldn't resist lol

Yeah, I like being a blonde too (AND I have big boobs, lol). People never, EVER suspect what I do for a living. Every single day someone new, outside of work, learns I am a doctor, I get big, wide eyed stares. It's great!! ;)

Especially in sports bars...where my hubby takes me just so he can watch me whip *kitten* at trivia in a room full of men. :bigsmile: :drinker: :laugh:
  • KrysBlaze
    Options
    I'm decent at trivia, but kick bootay in poker. I get It it's funny bc you hear the "Who is ______?!?!?" as you start taking the top spot consecutively.

What do you mean pregnancy kills btw?
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

^ This. I've taken the same birth control for 11 years, and the only time I've had issues is when a doctor switched me to a different type. I had the same symptoms--mood swings, bad cramps, etc--and switching back solved them almost immediately.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I tried hormonal birth control and puked my guts out every night, had a break during the period time, and then puking all over again. Finally found a very low dose one that seemed to work at first and then ended up with nausea and headaches (not as bad as puking my guts out, but unpleasant and disruptive to my life), when I stopped I was knocked over by the cramps during my period (and I have always had mild periods). It was weird.

So, in biology, in college I learned about how to track my ovulation and only use bc methods during my fertile phase. A good book is: Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. But, you have to know what you are doing and do it right. I have never had an unplanned pregnancy and when I wanted to get pregnant, it happened immediately (however my cycles are very regular and predictable).