treadmill or elliptical trainer

Options
If you have to make choice between treadmill or elliptical trainer which one you would prefer? and why? appreciate your inputs. Thanks

Replies

• BreatheAshley
    BreatheAshley Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Treadmill because I can do a lot more on a treadmill than an elliptical.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would choose elliptical because I feel like I get more bang for my buck. More calories burned, I actually use my arms, etc. Also, I'm a terrible runner. I haven't figured out how to avoid stitches (I know there are techniques, but they require concentration to master, and I usually zone out when I'm doing steady-state cardio), and I get all kinds of nasty shocks up my body when my feet strike.

Plus if I want to walk or run, I'll just go outside.
  • jrcrmr
    jrcrmr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to lose weight, it's hands down a treadmill...if you're just looking for cardio, both are great...as long as you push yourself hard on the elliptical (because the perceived effort is higher on the elliptical..so you actually have to push yourself more to get the same type of work out)...so cross training is great

the only thing is that, of course, treadmill is much harder on the joints...but it is much better if you're just looking for calorie loss
  • jrcrmr
    jrcrmr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would choose elliptical because I feel like I get more bang for my buck. More calories burned, I actually use my arms, etc. Also, I'm a terrible runner. I haven't figured out how to avoid stitches (I know there are techniques, but they require concentration to master, and I usually zone out when I'm doing steady-state cardio), and I get all kinds of nasty shocks up my body when my feet strike.

you burn less calories on an elliptical...it just feels like more
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    You can look into it, but I'm pretty sure ellipticals are easier on your knees, and burn more calories. I'd like to have one, but I already have a treadmill, and limited space. I do like my treadmill though, 'cuz I can do a leizurely walk, or run, plus it has automatic incline, which can really work my legs. ;)
  • saraM926
    saraM926 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do both. Since the elliptical can hurt like hell only after a few minutes, I'll switch between the treadmill and the elliptical. I typically do about 20-30 on treadmill and 10 minutes on the elliptical. :)
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    In for the info!
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Would like to read more people's opinions... in for that. ????
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is lower impact if you have bad knees it back. I burn about the same amount of calories on each with the same effort, i.e. heart rate in the same range.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical because I can pretend I'm an astronaut running in space
  • bassaniobroke
    bassaniobroke Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Stitches? dont understand ?
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Stitches? dont understand ?

I think she means side stitches.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/four-ways-stop-dreaded-side-stitch
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do the treadmill at the gym and have a Precor elliptical at home. I really do love my Precor! I think you can get a good workout on both. You just have to make sure you are keeping your heart rate in the target range. I just started doing intervals on the elliptical and like that.
  • Jaronfisher
    Jaronfisher Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The elliptical all the way for me. Whether it's a treadmill or running out side, the impact causes my old knee injury to flare up in no time flat. Where with the elliptical I can go for as long as I feel like.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I prefer treadmill because elliptical feels so unnatural to me. Also, elliptical tends to wear out my knee way way faster than the treadmill does, even when treadmill is on an incline.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Can't freaking stand the elliptical. I'm pretty tall, and I haven't yet encountered one that was built with a big enough range of motion so that I don't feel like my legs are making midget circles.

Treadmill is the easy choice here.

I'd prefer neither though.
  • ricki011
    ricki011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill. I can burn up to 800 calories in an hour and 15 mins doing a climb up to 12 % incline.
    Start at 2 and climb up every 5 mins. I've been doing this for some time and have built up endurance quite well.
    I now start at 4 and climb every 3 mins and increase speed by .3 until i hit 4.5 and 12 % incline.
    once i hit the top of my climb and start the decline and come back down on reverse and do my cool down on a flat treadmill.
    good workout.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Guess it depends on what you're trying to do. I run, so usually on a treadmill if I'm doing it inside. But I had a really messed up calf muscle and used the elliptical for a while to let it heal. It did work, so it certainly does seem to be a little less wear and tear on the body.

There's another side of that coin though. The impact of running is the only thing that can prepare joints and muscles for, well, the impact of running. I know for me, my joints seem to have less pain when I'm running (counter to what some would suggest). So "no impact" may not be the panacea it's sometimes made out to be. The impact does seem to make joints, for lack of a better word, "stronger".

Like most things - it depends.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I used to be an elliptical junkie but after I started running I prefer the treadmill! Even when I'm not up for running, I can change the incline and feel like I'm mountain climbing and get a good workout in!

That being said, our gym has AMTs (Adaptive Motion Trainer), that are similar to an elliptical but you control the stride as you go. It's a MUCH more effective workout than an elliptical (I can definitely feel the burn in my legs).
  • christopherphillips1983
    Options
    If I had to have one and only one, I'd pick the elliptical. I can run on the sidewalk if need be. I also burn a hell of a lot more calories on the elliptical than I do on the treadmill in the same period of time.