I know I should eat before I workout but.

Options
I ate so much these couple days, but I am not hungry. Do you think I can workout without eating breakfast. I think I ate like 3000 calories these last couple of days and did not workout, Please advise.

Replies

• wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    Definitely eat something!
    You may have gone over your calorie total by a lot, but just start from scratch
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I ate so much these couple days, but I am not hungry. Do you think I can workout without eating breakfast. I think I ate like 3000 calories these last couple of days and did not workout, Please advise.

I find that an apple or half an orange are the perfect pre-workout food... gives you enough energy to start your workout and doesn't fill you up, you can eat them without even being hungry.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You should definitely eat. The food you ate over the last few days doesn't stay in your system, it digests just as quickly as your normal amount of food. And the body can only absorb so many calories, the rest is just waste. You always, always need to eat before you exercise, your body needs that fuel. You haven't eaten in at least 12 hours (probably) and exercising on an empty stomach puts you at risk for passing out, your body just can't handle it.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I always exercise on an empty stomach, in the mornings, after tea. Quite a few fitness guru's on the net believe this is the best way to burn fat, not food. Google 'exercising in a fasted state'.

Obviously if you feel dizzy or unable to perform then this isnt for you, but why not give it a try?

Personally, I find eating before a workout slows my performance.

We are all different tho :flowerforyou:
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    my trainer says that you shoulkd exercise right after you eat because it will burn the food instead of fat..but she also says alot of people get sick if they dont eat something..so she suggest eating and apple before but not much else
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5am but always eat breakfast at 7:30am - I take meds in the morning when I get up so I usually always eat a banana on the way to the gym and its just enough to help me not have sick stomache from meds and have some energy too! Banana's are great for my muscles!!
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You guys are the best, I am going eat something small.
  • Qtip1445
    Options
    I find it difficult to eat before excercising. I get sick. My husband and I attended a weight training and body shaping class and our trainer said that it is fine to eat after excercising. You continue to burn calories for a couple hours after working out and you can still burn the calories that you take in after. I would suggest having SOMETHING in your stomach for the day before working out, but maybe just a snack instead of a meal.
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I always exercise on an empty stomach, in the mornings, after tea. Quite a few fitness guru's on the net believe this is the best way to burn fat, not food. Google 'exercising in a fasted state'.

Obviously if you feel dizzy or unable to perform then this isnt for you, but why not give it a try?

Personally, I find eating before a workout slows my performance.

We are all different tho :flowerforyou:

Thanks for this, very interesting read.

http://conditioningresearch.blogspot.com/2009/02/training-in-fasted-state-study-of.html

in case anyone else is interested.
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I can cycle on a static bike for 45 mins before breakfast but I can't run more than a couple of miles without feeling weak whereas normally I can run 6 without bother.

Don't quote me on exact facts/science but I think there's something like 2000 calories stored for immediate use in the form of glycogen in your liver. An efficient runner uses 100 calories a mile which is why marathon runners can hit the wall at around 20 miles if they don't take on food. This is boosted by carbohydrate loading. Therefore I can't see you couldn't exercise on an empty stomach but in my personal experience I am not able to put as much effort in.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Better to eat at least 3 meals a day to maintain your insulin levels. Don't let your body think your starving because it will store the calories you take in later on.
  • PrincessStarr
    Options
    i could have sworn Dr. Oz said it's best to work out before eating.....can't remember how he explained it.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    not even addressing the over ate for 3 days thing..I think that has ben handled...LOL
    I eat if I am going to run...I don't worry about eating before working out if I am getting up at 5 am to fit a workout in before work...I eat later when I am getting ready for work..it depends on how soon after waking up you will working out IMO...if it is immediate...then I don't eat...if it will be anywhere from 30-60 minutes after waking I try to consume something to give me a boost in energy...fruit or a piece of toast or something like that
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I always get up and exercise first thing without eating, I do the 30ds and then go for a 3 mile run. I eat with my two girls before setting off to school.

If i'm doing a run longer than 3 miles then I eat about an hour before I exercise.

Try doing both and see which works best for you. If you start to feel feint then i'd suggest something light an hour before starting your workout.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I never eat before I workout, and I do a very intensive one hour CrossFit session. I do have a protein-based calorie free drink (Xtend) and coffee but no food. The one time I did eat I felt so sick I almost puked. So for ME, it pays not to eat. Then of course as soon as I'm done I'll have a nice protein-rich breakfast.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I never eat before I workout, and I do a very intensive one hour CrossFit session. I do have a protein-based calorie free drink (Xtend) and coffee but no food. The one time I did eat I felt so sick I almost puked. So for ME, it pays not to eat. Then of course as soon as I'm done I'll have a nice protein-rich breakfast.

xtend is not calorie free. Scivation used to list the calories on the container which is the same as protein. But the FDA no longer allow the calories to be listed for free form AA. Btw xtend is great stuff.

[Code of Federal Regulations]
    [Title 21, Volume 2]
    [Revised as of April 1, 2009]
    [CITE: 21CFR101]

TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS
    CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
    DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
    SUBCHAPTER B--FOOD FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION PART 101 FOOD LABELING

Subpart C--Specific Nutrition Labeling Requirements and Guidelines

Sec. 101.36 Nutrition labeling of dietary supplements.

(2)Information on dietary ingredients that have a Reference Daily Intake (RDI) or a Daily Reference Value (DRV) as established in 101.9(c) and their subcomponents (hereinafter referred to as "(b)(2)-dietary ingredients"). (i) The (b)(2)-dietary ingredients to be declared, that is, total calories, calories from fat, total fat, saturated fat,trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, total carbohydrate, dietary fiber, sugars, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron, shall be declared when they are present in a dietary supplement in quantitative amounts by weight that exceed the amount that can be declared as zero in nutrition labeling of foods in accordance with 101.9(c). Calories from saturated fat and polyunsaturated fat, monounsaturated fat, soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, sugar alcohol, and other carbohydrate may be declared, but they shall be declared when a claim is made about them. Any other vitamins or minerals listed in 101.9(c)(8)(iv) or (c)(9) may be declared, but they shall be declared when they are added to the product for purposes of supplementation, or when a claim is made about them. Any (b)(2)-dietary ingredients that are not present, or that are present in amounts that can be declared as zero in 101.9(c), shall not be declared (e.g., amounts corresponding to less than 2 percent of the RDI for vitamins and minerals). Protein shall not be declared on labels of products that, other than ingredients added solely for technological reasons, contain only individual amino acids.