Fell off the weight loss wagon

Options
I was doing so well! 20 lbs in less then 4 months. Then I got sick and between repeated ER and doctors office visits, I was full of DGAF. Well, now I am trying to get back to where I was as far as my eating habits and it is just a lot harder then it was. So, please shower your advice upon me, I am hear to listen.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Just start by logging your food everyday. The rest will fall into place.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My mantra is vegetables and vigorous exercise. I had a problem just a few days ago and it took a good session of vigorous exercise to get me back on track. I know that when you are feeling blah it's tough to get on a treadmill, or in fact do anything vigorous. Fortunately I have tennis. My competitive spirit overcomes the blahs. Could you grab someone for a rousing game of badminton? (Not kidding btw, the last time I played badminton I was surprised at how sweaty I got).
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Do you have anyone close by (family/friend) that can help keep you accountable? Personally, I feel the MFP for the most part can keep me motivated. If I don't log stuff, I feel guilty. I've developed a base of friends that I look forward to sharing and seeing what they've done daily. I think it keeps us all motivated. But, having an actual person right near you that can give you that boost when you need it is tremendously helpful!
  • squirrel1691
    Options
    My mantra is vegetables and vigorous exercise. I had a problem just a few days ago and it took a good session of vigorous exercise to get me back on track. I know that when you are feeling blah it's tough to get on a treadmill, or in fact do anything vigorous. Fortunately I have tennis. My competitive spirit overcomes the blahs. Could you grab someone for a rousing game of badminton? (Not kidding btw, the last time I played badminton I was surprised at how sweaty I got).

Because of my medical issues vigorous exercise is pretty much out. I have been doing some workout videos though. Well I am starting to do them.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Baby steps so appears doable. Small goals, start logging and you'll be back in no time. :flowerforyou:
  • LeighRaeW
    LeighRaeW Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just start by logging your food everyday. The rest will fall into place.

This.
    Also, log foods before you even cook them; if you can, log your entire day in the morning (leaving some snack calories). I find it a lot easier to have mentally planned my meals, that way I have it in my mind that I'm going to eat [insert meal], and don't end up craving something else or just eating something that will put me over my calories.

Good luck!
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    There's a wagon? Here I've been doing it the "hard way" when all I had to do is hop on a wagon?

Just kidding, seriously though, if you view it as a lifetime commitment to health you can't fall off the wagon, you just say to yourself you had a bad couple of weeks and you'll do better now.

Watch your food intake, get plenty of veggies, and walk if you can't do other exercise. Walking is great exercise, low impact, low intensity, but still burns up the calories, and our bodies were made to do it.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Because of my medical issues vigorous exercise is pretty much out. I have been doing some workout videos though. Well I am starting to do them.

Other "resets" that have worked for me have been time spent outside (maybe it's the sunshine), and good old shopping therapy. Good luck!
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Take it from a guy who will be turning 50 in October---EMBRACE THE JOURNEY AND KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE! I know all about medical conditions---I was struck by a car in the line of duty while working as a paramedic and lost my left leg. Set backs suck---having a fat fanny SUCKS MORE! Everything you do from housework, to going to the store, it all counts....so even if you can't go to the gym or hop on a bicycle or watever, just keep moving.
    Don't let ANY medical condition or other setback keep you from doin what you gotta do. My birthday present to myself in October will be 75 lbs gone. I"m a little more than 60 lbs away and I can see it just as sure as I can see my hand in front of my face. YOUTH IS ON YOUR SIDE. ENJOY THE RIDE. ROCK ON!!!
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I "fallen off the wagon" so many times I'm covered in bruises. Until one day I decided that there is no wagon. There is me, and my life to lead. I've only got one shot at it and many more important things to do than to keep fighting an endless battle with food and weight.

I decided to strip all the rules and regulations and restrictions to some bare essentials.

1. Log everything. Even when 80% of my calories in a day come from sugar or I am 900+ calories over I log it.

2. Only eat what you like, not what you 'should' (I am fortunate that I do genuinely like many vegetables, and I am not a fan of fast food; however, cereal, peanut butter and cake are my downfalls ;-))

3. No more all or nothing thinking. I don't 'write' off days or weeks anymore, telling myself that I'll start restricting again tomorrow. If I ate more than I should have at lunch, I still have dinner (maybe smaller) and may work out more at the gym. I may eat less the next day, but I refuse to go back to restrictive patterns (which led to disordered eating).

I also discovered that rather exercise more and eat more. Is a slice of cake worth a 30 minute run? OH YEAH. Some people have a different take on this.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Pick up where you left off. There is no magic ingredient for consistency or motivation. There is no "on" or "off" the "wagon." There are healthy behaviors you can engage in more often than not to get the results you desire. Log your food, make good choices that help you meet your macros, work out regularly. That's all.

I had a crap week last week that started with a pulled muscle in my lower back resulting in pain whenever I moved. Then I worked three 12-hour shifts in a row, and came down with a nasty cold. Then I had two 8-hour days of school with a one hour one-way commute in crazy traffic. My eating was awful, although better than it used to be in similar circumstances. I didn't work out at all. I've deliberately avoided the scale because I didn't need the guilt or stress. Honestly, I did the best I could.

Yesterday, I got some much needed rest and relaxation and allowed myself to recover. Today, I'm eating healthy, writing a paper, and will try to fit in a run with my dog this afternoon.

If you're committing to this as a true lifestyle change, you will have good days/weeks and bad days/weeks. You do the best you can in your given circumstances and always strive to do better, but you forgive yourself for not being perfect. The less you wallow in perceived failure, and the more you focus on positive behaviors, the more success you will find.
  • squirrel1691
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the advice. It was very helpful!