Shakeology protein shakes

Options

Replies

• clodia2
    Options
    Ok, side question. Shakeology out of the picture. What about the other kinds of protein rich items that aren't "real food." Like shakes and Quest bars. Are those out too?

Not trying to start a fight, I really am curious. I have had a similar discussion in my groups and would love people's input.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Waste of money. Notice the only people in this thread recommending Shakeology are coaches? I like how the first person conveniently left out the fact that she was a coach at first.
  • Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's important to note that Shakeology is NOT a protein shake. It's an entire meal replacement. It's designed to act not only as a meal, but as a multivitamin as well. Yes, it has protein in it, but that's not what it is meant for. I have it for breakfast every day. Is it expensive? yeah, sure. but in my opinion, the nutritional impact on my diet is worth it. Here's a vid talking about the stuff. http://youtu.be/8l0wOwPtV48
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    It's important to note that Shakeology is NOT a protein shake. It's an entire meal replacement. It's designed to act not only as a meal, but as a multivitamin as well. Yes, it has protein in it, but that's not what it is meant for. I have it for breakfast every day. Is it expensive? yeah, sure. but in my opinion, the nutritional impact on my diet is worth it. Here's a vid talking about the stuff. http://youtu.be/8l0wOwPtV48

^ Another "coach" and more spam. There's definitely a theme here.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Ok, side question. Shakeology out of the picture. What about the other kinds of protein rich items that aren't "real food." Like shakes and Quest bars. Are those out too?

Not trying to start a fight, I really am curious. I have had a similar discussion in my groups and would love people's input.

I consider protein bars to be too expensive to be a staple in my diet, but when I do want something for on the run or even for a dessert, they are a good treat. Even with them being too expensive to be a staple, the most expensive ones I buy are still cheaper than Shakeology, and I can buy them one at a time.
  • clodia2
    Options

I consider protein bars to be too expensive to be a staple in my diet, but when I do want something for on the run or even for a dessert, they are a good treat. Even with them being too expensive to be a staple, the most expensive ones I buy are still cheaper than Shakeology, and I can buy them one at a time.

I wish there was a like button for posts... LOL Thank you for the response. That was the debate in a nutshell. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Only three days that I'm there for 10 hours. The other 2 days are approx 6 hours and I'm able to eat dinner at home, yay!! Not incl weekends where I eat all meals at home :smile:
    Many people work this 5 days a week and can still make lunch. If you tired of it, then it's more of whether or not you're really willing to do it rather than should you do it.
    Drinking a shake does neither. I'm just looking for something quick thats tasty as well.
    Well you mentioned you're tired of making food, so it sounds more like you'd rather use a meal replacement out of convenience. I get that some may be pressed for time, but if it ends up being an everyday thing, then my question again is do you plan this to be how you continue consuming calories?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Roughgalaxy
    Options
    I didn't tell the OP to buy it. I'm just trying to show that it's not a protein shake. It's a common misconception. and yeah, I'm a coach. I lost 64 pounds using shakeology and doing P90X. I know that it works.

As for the protein bars. you CAN make your own. It's fairly cheap but it's a lot of work. I recommend quest bars if you can afford them, but I have been using Costco "Kaizen" protein powder and "premier protein" protein bars (30g protein kind) Costco protein stuff is good quality is not expensive.
  • clodia2
    Options
    Only three days that I'm there for 10 hours. The other 2 days are approx 6 hours and I'm able to eat dinner at home, yay!! Not incl weekends where I eat all meals at home :smile:
    Many people work this 5 days a week and can still make lunch. If you tired of it, then it's more of whether or not you're really willing to do it rather than should you do it.
    Drinking a shake does neither. I'm just looking for something quick thats tasty as well.
    Well you mentioned you're tired of making food, so it sounds more like you'd rather use a meal replacement out of convenience. I get that some may be pressed for time, but if it ends up being an everyday thing, then my question again is do you plan this to be how you continue consuming calories?

IDEA Fitness member

Just a suggestion if it's a time issue, I make my breakfasts and lunches for the week on Sunday. It helps because I can just grab and go for the week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Meal replacements shakes SHOULDN'T be meal replacements. It teaches you nothing on how to replace your meal once you stop them.
    People use them because they are either unconvinced that they can make a meal, or that it's their go to for weight loss/nutrition based on what information they receive from coaches or Beach Body.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I prefer to eat real food and get my protein from those sources…However, i do keep some protein powder at my house for when I do not have time to make something or I just want to get more protein into my day, or I want to have a late night snack and have already met my carb macro for the day ..

My diary is open to all.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I wish there was a like button for posts... LOL Thank you for the response. That was the debate in a nutshell. :)

No problem, thanks for being receptive. :flowerforyou: Price is really my only issue with Shakeology. Before I knew it was sold in the way it was, I saw it recommended as a great vegan protein shake. I looked it up and thought it looked like it could be good, went to order, and stopped in disbelief. I don't use Vega and other brands for the same reason.
  • Roughgalaxy
    Options
    I don't ever see myself not using Shakeology. I can't possibly replace all the nutritional value with regular food. The sheer quantity of food I would have to consume is preposterous. Don't misunderstand though. shakeology is part of my plan. I eat 6 meals a day on a 50/30/20 split (bulking). I do the majority of my cooking on sundays so that I know how much I'm eating each week.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    I didn't tell the OP to buy it. I'm just trying to show that it's not a protein shake. It's a common misconception. and yeah, I'm a coach. I lost 64 pounds using shakeology and doing P90X. I know that it works.

As for the protein bars. you CAN make your own. It's fairly cheap but it's a lot of work. I recommend quest bars if you can afford them, but I have been using Costco "Kaizen" protein powder and "premier protein" protein bars (30g protein kind) Costco protein stuff is good quality is not expensive.

It's an overpriced MLM product. You can do just as well with a protein shake. Preying on the naive and desperate is a pretty crappy way to make a living.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't ever see myself not using Shakeology. I can't possibly replace all the nutritional value with regular food. The sheer quantity of food I would have to consume is preposterous. Don't misunderstand though. shakeology is part of my plan. I eat 6 meals a day on a 50/30/20 split (bulking). I do the majority of my cooking on sundays so that I know how much I'm eating each week.

seriously?

You are bulking by using a meal replacement shake? That sounds counter-productive...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Your a coach and of course you don't see yourself ever stopping......it's like kool aid right....lol
  • Gemmz2014
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I'm tired of planning all my meals for the work day (just those three days) sometimes I go without dinner because it.s easier. Just looking for a quick way to consume calories without the preparation that's involved.
  • clodia2
    Options

I prefer to eat real food and get my protein from those sources…However, i do keep some protein powder at my house for when I do not have time to make something or I just want to get more protein into my day, or I want to have a late night snack and have already met my carb macro for the day ..

My diary is open to all.

Makes sense. Thank you. :D

I use Shakeo, Quest, or whatever as snacks, not meal replacements. But, often my snacks are things like fresh broccoli and snap peas (sans dressing), or a small salad. I do try to balance. I truly understand both sides of the argument. I agree people need to know how to eat, and nothing should be used as a crutch. But, I'm happy I have these options so I'm less likely to reach for the chips. :D (Although chips are a weakness, I must say. Sometimes I seem to just gravitate toward my Doritos Jacked. LOL)
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

If you don't think you can do better with real food then you either have zero knowledge of nutrition or you're lying.

Shilling product on here is against the rules. Hopefully, this silly thread will go away soon.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options

No problem, thanks for being receptive. :flowerforyou: Price is really my only issue with Shakeology. Before I knew it was sold in the way it was, I saw it recommended as a great vegan protein shake. I looked it up and thought it looked like it could be good, went to order, and stopped in disbelief. I don't use Vega and other brands for the same reason.

Pricey eh?