Calf Injury? 30 Day Shred

Options
Hello,

I am currently doing the 30 Day Shred and on day 8 (first day of level 2). I currently have painful calfs, they feel bruised! I do all of the strecthes and some more as I feel it doesnt stretch the legs enough before. When I am doing the cardi on the DVD my calf feels like it has shooting pains up it. I stop and do punches usually.
I dont want to have to stop doing this, as I am seeing results at the moment.
I have looked up some stretches to try and ease them, but does anyone have any further advice?

Replies

• DaveGandT
    DaveGandT Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try a foam roller. Google for instructions - cheap and easy.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just want to say I'm with you! I had no idea my calve muscles were lacking - I run, do yoga, etc. I started 30 Day Shred this week to mix up the routine and my calves are so sore I can barely walk!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Seriously, modify whatever moves are aggravating your calf and give them a chance to recover. You may need to take a rest day. While people have done the 30 day Shred in 30 day, it was not meant to be done 30 days straight. Jillian has said that herself on her podcast (I think it would have been nice for her to mention this on the DVD as well). The reason that most people drop out around days 8-12 is because they have taken no recovery time and have problems with knees, calves, lowerback, shoulders etc. Or they get a cold. Or the flu. Over-training also lowers your body's resistance to these things.
  • hlcgreene
    hlcgreene Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I looked up stretches for calf muscles and these have helped. I also now warm up and down more than she does on the DVD. I don't think there is enough leg stretching in the warm up so add more myself in before I press play!
    Thankfully it seems to have calmed down more now I have gone onto level 2, and I swap some of the cardio exercises if I feel my muscles straining from it - I think its knowing what is 'good pain' and what is 'bad pain'.