Soya products are they bad for you

Options
I am lactose intolerant and take soya products occasionally. Milk is my main followed by yogurt.

There are so many stories i hear about soya like it's not good for you, it causes cancer, its fattening etc...

anyone else take soya milk on a regular basis?

Please advise and share....

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Soy of any type can have an effect on estrogen levels. If you are prone to estrogen issues, it can be a help or a hindrance. For women who are menopausal and not on hormone replacement therapy, it can be a great help in relieving their symptoms. For women who have had issues with estrogen based cancers, then it can be a problem. If you don't have a family history of breast, ovarian, or cervical cancer, I wouldn't worry about consuming soy. Personally, I've had a breast lump removed and have had a high estrogen level blamed for it and my cyst, fibroid, and endometriosis issues, so I've been advised by my doctor to not take a chance on increasing my estrogen levels anymore with soy. That being said, I'm now perimenopausal and really wish I could have some soy to ease the hot flashes! ;-)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Soy, unless you are eating soy beans/pods is a highly processed food. Tofu is the same. Lots of chemicals and sodium. It's really not good for you yet it's advertised as supposedly being one of the best things for you :S

Try rice milk. I used to drink Rice Dream when I was allergic to dairy as a kid. It's really good! Have also heard almond milk is really good too but have never tried it.
  • mismgl83
    mismgl83 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking soy milk and eating soy based products (tofu. yogurt, etc.) for over 4 years ever since I was diagnosed with IBS. I have never had a problem and have looked into the various reasons why there have been reports that soy can be bad, however I have never found evidence of such. I have read as someone posted below about strogen levels rising but unless you have an issue with that you'll be fine.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Genetically modified soy or processed soy (ie. soy lecithin in most foods) is what is bad for you. I have had soymilk and tofu and lots of other soy all my life. If you are really worried, it is very easy to make soymilk at home :tongue: then you can make a big batch of soy milk and also make your own tofu from it. My mom used to do this because we drank a lot of soymilk.

Just look for non-GMO soy products. If you are really worried about soy, you'll have to stop eating a lot of foods (read the ingredients) because they contain processed soy byproducts, which is what is really bad for you! Soybeans on their own is fine :smile:
  • Dreadz_Veggies_4Life
    Options
    I agree with Sparklewolfie 100%.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Oh also try to buy organic when possible! I know this is best for all foods, but for soybeans especially because they usually require more pesticides (because they are so delicious and nutritious and taste just like... whatever you want them to taste like, really) so the non-organic type may have more chemicals than other foods :o
  • determined99
    Options
    thank you for all the information...
  • determined99
    Options
    Soy, unless you are eating soy beans/pods is a highly processed food. Tofu is the same. Lots of chemicals and sodium. It's really not good for you yet it's advertised as supposedly being one of the best things for you :S

Try rice milk. I used to drink Rice Dream when I was allergic to dairy as a kid. It's really good! Have also heard almond milk is really good too but have never tried it.

The doctor who diagnosed me with the lactose intolerance told me that Rice/almond milk have too much fat hence should be consumed in very small quantities
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    [
    The doctor who diagnosed me with the lactose intolerance told me that Rice/almond milk have too much fat hence should be consumed in very small quantities

Almond Milk is nice and not high fat ..try Blue Diamond..Original..1 Cup 60 Cal..3g Fat
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    The one thing to watch out for is if you are TTC or taking any fertility drugs, soya can be contraindicated. Most of the drugs work by changing your estrogen levels, so consuming soy can cause problems. Personally, I have cut all soy out of our diets, but thats because TTC is a concern for us. If it was not, I would be all over the tofu!
  • hjorden
    Options
    Here is a well researched blog about the dangers of soy with links to the research. http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/
  • determined99
    Options
    Here is a well researched blog about the dangers of soy with links to the research. http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/

thank you x
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Wow I just read that and am kinda scared :laugh: I guess non-fermented soy should be like soda pop or butter - in moderation!