Almost 64 yr. old - halfway point in 5 months

Options
luluinca
luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
By way of encouragement to those of you (especially women) who seem to think it's next to impossible to lose weight after 50, here's my success so far. 35 pounds gone in five months. I exercise 5 days a week, swimming (minimum half mile) and a 30 to 60 minute circuit the same days. My circuit is trainer directed and includes weights and resistance work plus some HIIT on the rowing machine, stair master and elliptical, and lots of crunches, sit-ups, squats and planks. I've been eating about 1300 to 1500 calories a day, but I think with the little mistakes we all make in logging it's probably slightly more. I enjoy nutritious food, but I wouldn't call it "clean" necessarily, and love a yummy snack or dessert occasionally and a "glass" of wine never killed anyone.

I'm only putting up two pics because I'm not done yet. I'll see you again this summer..................hopefully...................when I reach my goal!

First pic was at the end of Oct. and I'd already lost 10 pounds. I hope these are the appropriate size.

96ac6812-6893-45e8-925f-f01202fe7866_zps49f6a4a2.jpg

Second pic was about a week ago.

Jan311_zps8ccac464.jpg

It's not as dramatic as many of the other success stories I've read but I'm happy!

Replies

• VintagePhoenix
    Options
    Amazing job, you are so inspirational!
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • newladykb2016
    newladykb2016 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great inspiration ! I am going to be 60 this year . I'm taking a day at a time and logging in.It seems good if you do want to splurge you can. The key is to tracking is what go's in our mouths. Keep up the good work!
  • luluinca
    Options
    Karon, you can do it, just keep on doing what's working for you. I've discovered I'm much more able physically than I thought I would be. At our age we all have aches and pains, mine is my back, but between the weight loss and the exercise, they tend to get better. At least that's been my experience. I babied myself for 7 years after a back injury and of course gained weight and lost mobility.......................no more.

Thanks everyone!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    Brava. brava!
    Best wishes as you work on achieving your ultimate goal!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    WTG!!!
  • luluinca
    Options
    Brava. brava!
    Best wishes as you work on achieving your ultimate goal!

Jeanne, looks like you're doing pretty darn good yourself! I'm in So Cal also.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic, what an accomplishment & inspiration to us plus 50 ladies!

Cheers:drinker:
  • fangirlish
    fangirlish Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on an impressive weight loss in such a short time, and on an equally impressive exercise program. You go, girl!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Super job, honey ...... keep on truckin' !

I'm 62 ...... have been changing my eating & fitness habits for 7 or 8 years now ...... it's never "easy" ...... but it's all good :drinker:
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Awesome and congratulations!!
  • Alicestella54
    Alicestella54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Great job you look good on my way to losing some weight before I turn 60 this year. You give me hope it can be done congrats to you !:flowerforyou:
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing - great job!
  • karenc118
    karenc118 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    brilliant job, you are an inspiration and yes i do use my age ( 52) as an excuse sometimes!
  • luluinca
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. I keep teasing my husband I'm going to try out for the Senior Olympics this summer. He can't figure out if I'm serious or not..................LOL

There are a lot of us who are 50 plus here at MFP and I think it's fantastic that so many of us are working our butts off to get, or stay, healthy!
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Great !great! You look amazing.I too was under the impression that it is hard to lose after 60,but you proved it wrong.
    Your hard work , and determination motivates me. Thanks for sharing.
  • first01
    Options
    You look great! Good on you!
  • PamelaJ413
    Options
    Wonderful! Great job! I'm 58 and have lost 20 of the 60-70 I plan to lose. It's great to see and here from people my own age here! So far, I am only doing yoga but plan to branch out physically as I go along. I'm enjoying the clean eating and how wonderful and energized I feel. Its amazing how much better your back and your feet feel just getting a small bit of your weight off!
    Thanks so much for posting!
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Great job! I'll be turning 60 this year, too. I have been working on losing weight slowly, but surely.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There is a HUGE difference between those two photos. Who cares is they are not as "drastic" as others have shared here. You're only comparing yourself to you and no one else! Keep it up, you've obviously put in a lot of hard work and dedication. Those kinds of results don't come by wishful thinking and hoping you can do it, you're doing it and are to be commended!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!