replacing eggs with egg white

Options
2»

Replies

• DebB766
    Options
    My son has an egg allergy so I have had to find ways to replace eggs in recipes. So to all those that have posted about how there are no reasons not to eat eggs .... please don't be critical or question a person's reasons for doing what they are doing .. just try to be helpful and answer their question if possible. :-)
    Here are the proven ways to replace eggs in recipes that I have found. (these are gluten free ways as we are gluten intolerant too)
    1 Lg egg = 1/4C ...... so with that in mind

1/4 C warm water (obviously no flavor but will provide the "wet")
    1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp xantham gum + 3T warm water
    3T tapioca starch + 3T warm water
    1/4C ground tofu
    1T ground flaxseed soaked in 3T water (whisk well let sit 5 min) (called flax egg) *** I use this often because of the high protein count
    1/4 C puree fruit (like baby food) *** works excellent as well and you can add different flavors depending on fruit used

A little extra info ....

FOR BINDING
    use flax egg OR 2T arrowroot or cornstarch

FOR THICKENING AND LEAVENING
    1/4 C yogurt

TO ADD MOISTURE
    fruit (or veggies) puree

BINDING IN CASSEROLES
    2T puree OR tomato paste, flax egg OR 2T arrowroot or cornstarch + 2T water

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question about replacing with egg whites only .... but it gives you some other options and hopefully someone will find it helpful
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    If the OP mentioned egg allergies, I'm sure you'd agree the responses would have been different, and considering she still eats eggs I assume that is not a factor.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    In baking and cooking eggs are generally used in three ways: liquid content (to balance dry ingredients), leavening and binding. In all three cases, all you need is the egg white. If you want to decrease a bit of fat content (because maybe you want more cheese on your casserole but want the right macro ratio for your meal, I don't know why everyone is hatin' on leaving out some yolks!) but get the benefit of binding and liquid content for your casserole (obviously leavening is only relevant to baking) go ahead and substitute the same amount of liquid of egg whites instead of using whole eggs. It ain't gonna make or break your casserole. You don't even taste egg yolks when they're in anything but like plain, omelet (maybe), and egg salad.

finally, the voice of reason. :) i cook (a lot) and you are right, the yolks add fat but are not necessary to actually do any of the things eggs are supposed to do as an ingredient. :)
  • neanderthin
    Options
    In baking and cooking eggs are generally used in three ways: liquid content (to balance dry ingredients), leavening and binding. In all three cases, all you need is the egg white. If you want to decrease a bit of fat content (because maybe you want more cheese on your casserole but want the right macro ratio for your meal, I don't know why everyone is hatin' on leaving out some yolks!) but get the benefit of binding and liquid content for your casserole (obviously leavening is only relevant to baking) go ahead and substitute the same amount of liquid of egg whites instead of using whole eggs. It ain't gonna make or break your casserole. You don't even taste egg yolks when they're in anything but like plain, omelet (maybe), and egg salad.

finally, the voice of reason. :) i cook (a lot) and you are right, the yolks add fat but are not necessary to actually do any of the things eggs are supposed to do as an ingredient. :)
    Not really, egg yolks are in cooking for a reason. You can of course substitute the yolk and in some incidences that will work, in others it a fail, big time.....
  • DebB766
    Options
    I was simply giving her some options to replace the eggs when baking.
    While I do agree that if she had mentioned an allergy, the responses would have been different. However, that really has nothing to do with my post or comments. I mentioned my sons allergy only as information as to why I have information on different ways to replace eggs. I was in no way insinuating she had an allergy.
    And my comment about trying to be helpful and answer someones question instead of questioning their motives or reasoning still stands. While sometimes questioning can be done out of caring, most of the responses here come across as negative insinuating that her doctor doesn't know what they are doing and without all of the pertinent information that is irresponsible and inappropriate. IMO
    of coarse everyone is entitled to their own opinion ... I was just trying to be helpful instead of critical
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This thread is a perfect example of people throwing out their know-it-all opinions stated as fact, possibly to someone's harm since they know nothing about the OP or why the doctor gave that advice and it's none of their business anyway. The question was about the best way to substitute for egg yolks in recipes. Immediately the typical MFP sharks jumped in to denigrate the person's choice to do that, even though leaving out egg yolks is not going to hurt anyone. Hopefully if the OP wants a second opinion she will get it from a professional and not an internet dieting message board.

Guess I'll repeat the link I gave earlier so there is something useful in this post:
    http://www.foodsubs.com/Eggs.html
  • neanderthin
    Options
    This thread is a perfect example of people throwing out their know-it-all opinions stated as fact, possibly to someone's harm since they know nothing about the OP or why the doctor gave that advice and it's none of their business anyway. The question was about the best way to substitute for egg yolks in recipes. Immediately the typical MFP sharks jumped in to denigrate the person's choice to do that, even though leaving out egg yolks is not going to hurt anyone. Hopefully if the OP wants a second opinion she will get it from a professional and not an internet dieting message board.

Guess I'll repeat the link I gave earlier so there is something useful in this post:
    Your right of course. The questioning about why the Dr. said to remove yolks is a valid one though. This type of advice has been seen multiple times, hundreds actually and with the answer being egg yolks have cholesterol, therefore you shouldn't eat them because cholesterol. That is not a valid reason if someone was current with clinical studies......of course this is only one explanation, but people here in general that are familiar with these clinical studies are generally skeptical with these simple, and not explained reasons.
  • kyregi
    kyregi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all your great advice!
    As for the reasoning: I had a 99% closure of one of my heart arteries at the beginning of the year and unfortunately we are not sure where this comes from (no family history, no smoking, no high cholesterol, not diabetic...). The obvious ones were "only" 15-20 pounds overweight and stress. So while I'm working on the stress and the overweight my doctor recommended a cardiac diet as obviously my body does not react to cholesterol in the same way as the main stream person and builds plaque even though I was in the "green" with all my values. Right now, as this is about a month ago with surgery etc, I am trying to adapt to this cardiac diet in as many ways as possible to have a low sodium, low fat, no trans fat, very low saturated fat diet. Looking at the nutrients of eggs, I think that the cholesterol is one of the reasons to leave the egg yolk out, the other reason for me is to cut down on saturated fats. There is not much in it but it adds up over the whole day, so I try to balance it where I can. SO my thought is if I need to add 4 eggs and I can cut it down to two eggs and add extra egg white to substitute the "missing" two whole eggs, I can have the casserole I want, and do not add to much of cholesterol and saturated fat to my diet.
    In a year I might look much more relaxed at this whole story about how to eat etc, but right now I am still shocked by the fact that I almost died (at age 43 with two kids under 10) and at least for a while what my doctor says "is law". He recommended not more than 2 (whole) eggs per week and otherwise to substitute with egg white. Over time I most likely will also consult with a nutritionist or a dietician, right now I try to adapt and get used to the whole fact "I am a cardiac patient".
    thanks again for all your answers and I also do understand the critical views of "how can your doctor even recommend this". Usually I would be the first to think this, on the other hand he is an experienced cardiologist and I hope that the advice is not totally off.
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Good advice there. I would add that I use a 3T of egg-white = 1 large egg conversion.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

Praise sister!

And there you have it. The OP listed her reasons behind why she wanted to cut out the yolk. Anyone feel better now? :laugh: Do her reasons assuage your curiosity? I can't believe it took 30+ replies for her to get an answer to her simple question.
  • taoistpunk
    taoistpunk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    :glasses:
  • iatemyelf
    iatemyelf Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Praise sister!

And there you have it. The OP listed her reasons behind why she wanted to cut out the yolk. Anyone feel better now? :laugh: Do her reasons assuage your curiosity? I can't believe it took 30+ replies for her to get an answer to her simple question.

yeah seriously. especially because of this: "...even though leaving out egg yolks is not going to hurt anyone."