Hit a plateau and been there for 2 weeks!!

Options
Hi guys. fairly new to this but was wondering if anybody could help.

I eat around 1500 calories a day and on some days slightly more. my diet is well ballance. my starting weight was 139.6 kg on the 1st of January and as of today im stuck on 129.8 kg and it will not budge.

i go to the gym 4-5 times a week and this include 2 spinning classes a week which burn around 900 calories. I just cant see where i am going wrong.

any advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• adgreer925
    adgreer925 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert but have done lots of reading and experience. I would try adjusting your calories and either up or lower your calories. It could be that you arent eating enough for as much working out that you are doing. iifym.com has more information on this and is super helpful. I would also just google macronutrients info. Layne Norton also has a ton of information as well. his website is www.biolayne.com. hope that helps!!

Just keep at it. This is a slow process and if you are doing it right it just takes time. Take progress pics if you dont it really helps to see your progress even if the scale isnt moving.
  • djwonga
    djwonga Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks buddy appreciate the help. have tried dropping the calories and had no movement so will probably up it slightly as i am burning just over a thousand a time in the gym!
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You have lost around 23 lbs in 6 weeks which is exceptional! How long have you been “stuck”? 1500 calories seems low for a 21 year old 284 lb male. I am a 52 year old sedentary female and MFP gives me 1590 a day for a 1 lb per week loss. Make sure that you are accurately measuring and logging EVERYTHING you eat. Even if you are eating mostly “healthy” foods it’s possible to overeat. You may also want to rerun your numbers to be sure that your calories/ macros were accurately set for someone of your age/ weight/gender. Good Luck!
  • rebertoc
    Options
    You have lost around 23 lbs in 6 weeks which is exceptional! How long have you been “stuck”? 1500 calories seems low for a 21 year old 284 lb male. I am a 52 year old sedentary female and MFP gives me 1590 a day for a 1 lb per week loss. Make sure that you are accurately measuring and logging EVERYTHING you eat. Even if you are eating mostly “healthy” foods it’s possible to overeat. You may also want to rerun your numbers to be sure that your calories/ macros were accurately set for someone of your age/ weight/gender. Good Luck!

Hi there I thought that the min amount if calories to consume is 1200? Any less and you won't lose weight. I didn't think 1500 was that low.
  • rebertoc
    Options
    I'd also like to add something. If you've lost quite a bit of weight and your not lifting weights, then you may want to lift weights to help boost weight loss. Because as you lose weight some of it is muscle, and the more muscle you lose the less calories you burn I've heard. I'm no expert either but this is what I've heard from others.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Hi there I thought that the min amount if calories to consume is 1200? Any less and you won't lose weight. I didn't think 1500 was that low.

1200 I believe is the minimum for females. The amount you should be eating depends on sex, level of fitness and your weight. For example, I am 270 pound semi-active male and my calories per day is around 1800-2000.

If you try to set up your goals on this site, it will take your information and give you a number of calories to aim for everyday.

Also, 2 weeks is not a long time to be stuck on a plateau, so as long as you are eating right, keep doing what you are doing and you will see results.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's fine and totally normal. Just stick to what you've been doing. Sometimes I don't lose any weight for 3 weeks.
  • djwonga
    djwonga Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys. Gonna be starting my food log properly tomorrow. Started lifting some weights this week and will continue and hope I see some results. Fingers crossed!!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    It is a pause at 2 weeks; 286 pounds and 1500 calories a day will be interesting; good luck.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    2 weeks isn't a plateau, and it will happen again. Some weeks you won't lose anything, and some weeks you might even gain a little bit. Weight loss is like that. It's more about the average over a long period of time than just a couple weeks.
  • danielleharvey2009
    Options
    I've been at a plateau since the first week of January now, but it isn't so much of a plateau than dietary cheating and being too tired to work out after my baby goes to bed. You'll pass it too, you can lose inches but gain muscle so it might balance out? The advice I've been given is to keep working out/eating healthily and to record what you eat meticulously just to make sure you aren't having a bit too much of something (chocolate covered almonds in my case). Keep at it though! Don't let a plateau get you down :)