cream cheese replacement?

Options
kelseyjsnyder
kelseyjsnyder Posts: 219 Member
Ok so i make this AWESOME chip dip that was my moms recipe but last night i entered everything in the recipe creator and found out that 1/12 of a 9x13 cake pan is 605 CALORIES!!! for like a 2x2 peice! (This chip dip is a dinner not an appitizer or a side) So i am wanting to mess around with it and see if i can get it to taste the same(well close or better) with lower calorie alternatives. Ive figured out a lot of the replacements BUT what could i swap cream cheese out with? it takes 16 oz of cream cheese which is A LOT OF CALORIES!! Thanks

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    hard to tell without the other ingredients listed but why not just low fat cream cheese?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt? Fromage frais? Quark? All of those have low cal/ low fat versions.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt? Fromage frais? Quark? All of those have low cal/ low fat versions.

This and I know the taco dip I make usually calls for cream cheese and sour cream to make it more dippable. So use low fat cream cheese and greek yogurt combined (whip it together with a mixer so it's smooth)
  • KiwipowaRoo
    KiwipowaRoo Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Low fat sour cream? You could do drained greek yogurt (sit in a coffee filter over night).
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Quark. Nice high protein count too :)
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I like the whipped cream cheese from weight watchers. :)
  • emmullins55
    Options
    Low fat sour cream? You could do drained greek yogurt (sit in a coffee filter over night).

I personally don't like low-fat products alot , because I feel they substitute one bad thing for another. Have you ever seen Neufchatel Cheese? Cream cheese actually was invented accidently by someone trying to make Neufchatel cheese. There is a product that I grew up eating though probably not available at a regular food store........"Kefir cheese." It is basically greek yogurt that has been drained as above creating a thicker spread, with the consistency of cream cheese but the tang of plain greek yogurt. I have heard about websites that show you how to re-do high calorie recipes so they will be healthier.
  • emmullins55
    Options
    Thanks for that Quark information, never heard of it, but will look out for some in the healthfood or upscale grocery. I also thought of Ricotta cheese. Ricotta is good for sweet or savory recipes as well.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Ricotta cheese?
  • daniflems
    daniflems Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Try laughing cow cheese. I use this as a cream cheese replacement in a lot of my cooking. It comes in regular, light and different flavours which is also great. Stirring a couple of the garlic flavoured triangles into mashed potatoes is just one of the ways I have used them! However I think you would need quite a bit for your recipe and they are a bit more expensive than cream cheese.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Neufchatel Cheese is the closest thing I know of to cream cheese when you want that same flavor/texture.
  • katealbright
    katealbright Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan so in stead of cream cheese I use soy/coconut/almond yogurt, tofu, white bean puree, or cashew puree (or a mixture of these things) all the time. Works great! Especially in dip, I make dip almost every day lol.
  • Lieslll
    Lieslll Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Where do you buy Neufchatel Cheese?

I have looked for this before (in Canada) and have not found it anywhere.
    Thanks
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Where do you buy Neufchatel Cheese?

I have looked for this before (in Canada) and have not found it anywhere.
    Thanks

I find it at Ralphs as their generic lower fat cream cheese.

@kelseyjsnyder So any chance you'll post the recipe for the rest of us to take a look at? Sounds good if it has cream cheese!
  • sdionnemoore
    sdionnemoore Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Our Wal-mart started selling Green Mountain Farms Greek, a cream cheese/greek yogurt blend. It's delicious and I think it would work quite well as a substitute. I also second Laughing Cow--it's yummy too!
  • kelseyjsnyder
    Options
    Sorry for not posting sooner i dont have internet at home so i could not check this thread after i posted it. I cant replace it with sour cream because i mix it with sour cream :(
    @sunitagt heres the recipe
    INGREDIENTS
    2-3 lbs of hamburger 1 can of refried beans
    16 oz sour cream 16 oz cream cheese
    2-3 pkgs taco seasoning Cheddar cheese(or taco cheese)
    Your favorite taco toppings:
    Black olives Green onions
    Peppers Jalapenos
    1. Brown hamburger and season with taco seasoning and add the refried beans
    2. Mix sour cream, cream cheese, and 1 pkg taco seasoning (use a electric mixer)
    3. Place hamburger mixture in bottom of a baking dish
    4. Cover hamburger with cream cheese mixture
    5. Top with your favorite toppings and cover with shredded cheese
    6. Bake on 375* for 15-20 minutes or till cheese is melted.
    Enjoy with tortilla chips!
  • TheITCrowd1
    Options
    Ok so i make this AWESOME chip dip that was my moms recipe but last night i entered everything in the recipe creator and found out that 1/12 of a 9x13 cake pan is 605 CALORIES!!! for like a 2x2 peice! (This chip dip is a dinner not an appitizer or a side) So i am wanting to mess around with it and see if i can get it to taste the same(well close or better) with lower calorie alternatives. Ive figured out a lot of the replacements BUT what could i swap cream cheese out with? it takes 16 oz of cream cheese which is A LOT OF CALORIES!! Thanks

I've got an awesome replacement for Cream Cheese - it's called Cold Turkey :) It hurts though!! x :(

The best chip dip on earth is Philidelphia smothered in Sweet Chilli sauce - dump dorito's in! Oh how i miss that taste
  • kelseyjsnyder
    Options

I've got an awesome replacement for Cream Cheese - it's called Cold Turkey :) It hurts though!! x :(

The best chip dip on earth is Philidelphia smothered in Sweet Chilli sauce - dump dorito's in! Oh how i miss that taste

Im not looking to cut it out. Im still going to use cream cheese on other stuff like bagels and such. I am just looking for an alternative when i make this which we do once every 1-3 months. so please unless you have a REAL suggestion...the smart alec "COLD-TURKEY" is NOT NECESSARY
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    See now I would just be tempted do a serious calorie burning exercise session so I could have the full calorie version in all its glory ;)
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    What about lighter than light philadelphia, thats the only cream cheese Ive found that doesnt lose the taste and consistency x