curious...whos doing 1200 cal a day??

Options

Replies

• Hossam52
    Options
    Well im at 1000 Cal per day and i've been on that for the past 2 month and im doing okey , a 1000 Cal is really good or even 1200 if you pick up what you eat carefully , if anyone need any more info you can simply massage me
  • shnookie70
    shnookie70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cal goal...loosely. Snacks I frequent: Apples, Oranges, Bananas, Fiber One 90 Calorie Bars, Outshine Fruit Bars, Light popcorn, pretzels, hot cocoa, skinny cow chocolates, yogurt...yeah, that about covers it.

Feel free to check out my food diary. I try to walk on my treadmill 30 mins 6 days a week. I did 30DS for 7 days, but was pretty difficult to do that and still get my 30 min walk in, and I was getting satisfactory results with just the walking so I went back to just that.
  • Diyah13
    Diyah13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It took me over a year to get to a 1200 calorie day. I've noticed that I'm able to achieve it by drinking more water daily and no snacking between my 500 calories or less meals. I "reward" myself with a snack when I put in a 1/2 hour of exercise or more. The snack is usually a bowl of diced fruit (by Dole) and/or a protein bar.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    jim-halpert-computer.gif
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Im hoping to drop 15. By the end of march...

Do you want to lose fat or muscle? Going that route, 1200 calories, muscle is what you will lose!! Slow and steady is the way to go!!! You need to look up your TDEE and BMR.
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I did that about a year ago(when I first joined MFP and didn't know better). I dropped a few pounds, and quickly. And my hair began falling out. And I had zero energy for anything besides my daily workout. And my skin looked horrible. The dark circles under my eyes (genetic) got a lot worse, and I was breaking out like a teenager. And my weight loss stalled. I was stuck at the same weight for six months.

I increased my calories, and began lifting. I'm losing fat, and gaining muscle. I have a lot more energy, and the other problems are gone. Oh, and I'm not hangry all the time. There are days when I burn almost 1200 calories.

Eating enough food to fuel your body is awesome. :smile:
  • Serah87
    Options
    Well im at 1000 Cal per day and i've been on that for the past 2 month and im doing okey , a 1000 Cal is really good or even 1200 if you pick up what you eat carefully , if anyone need any more info you can simply massage me

:huh:

Good luck with that!!....and keeping your muscles!! :ohwell:
  • tgsoe
    tgsoe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My aim is for 1200kcal/day, however, as I do a lot of exercise, I amend this as I need too. My partner and I sit down at the start of each week and plan out our meals and snacks, and stick to it as much as possible.

Since starting MFP, I have gone over my caloric intake on only 3 occasions, and all were due to consumption of alcohol (you can't go to Day on the Green and not have wine, cheese and salami - surely!).

Some days, especially on those when I know that we are having a meal that will be higher in calories, I will pre-enter my meals to see how many calories, if any, that I will have net. I will modify my physical training sessions to ensure that my input is counteracted by my output to bring me under.

Due to the amount of exercise I do (ranging between 800 - 1200 cals / day), I need to be sensible to ensure my body is getting all the nutrients and sustenance it requires; enough calories that I don't go into starvation mode and store this stuff I want so badly to lose.

I'm stoked with my progress - I've now lost 4.3kgs in 4 weeks, which I think is healthy. And I feel great.

When my partner David and I started this, we both wanted to lose around 9kgs each by the start of April. We're both halfway there, and have another 8 weeks to go.

So - in a very long winded way, I guess I am saying just to continuously monitor your input vs output, and regardless of what calorie intake you choose, you will make progress.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1200 a day and most days I don't even get that in. I'm doing a diet that I got from my doctor. It's pretty much like atkins. low carb basically. lots of protein, fat isn't an issue, any veggie, except those grown underground are a no-no (so no potatoes, carrots, beets etc), no sugar, no artificial sugars except truvia; I can have grapenuts or shredded wheat for cereal. no refined flour or wheats. no processed foods. for bread I can have Ezekiel bread. I've been doing this since July 2013 and I'm down 81# since then. I haven't felt deprived at all. oh ya, I can have 1 fruit a day if I want. I walk an hour a day, sometimes an hour & a half. I don't eat back my exercise calories like some people do ... I just haven't ever started doing that. I've lost on average 11 # a month. Haven't hit a plateau thusfar. it's worked for me. oh, and I can have a couple beers a day if I want, as long as it's lite beer and of course I fit it into my calorie count. I like my doctor :)
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I did it most for over 8 months until I got to my goal. I'm only 5'0" though and 53 so my BMR and TDEE aren't that high. I usually didn't eat back my exercise deliberately. Best weight loss and least hunger was when I ate more complex carbs and almost no "white" starch (pasta, rice, white potato) or sweets -- so it was a lower carb diet. I didn't really plateau except when I ate more white carbs.
  • Masalamommy
    Options
    Sugar snap peas with 2 T. Hummus,air popped popcorn, for something sweet mash a banana and freeze it it awhile sprinkle with aT of raw unsweetened cacao nibs and 6 almonds that's my ice cream sundae ! I use almond milk for smoothies only 30 calories and packed with nutrition.Watch things like processed foods which contain a lot of sodium bad for blood pressure and make should retain water.Another good snak is fage zero fat Greek yoghurt stir in some blackberries tops with nuts.Don't forget seeds and nuts yes they are calorie dense but have the good fats and satiate you good luck.I have lost 22 pounds since Jan 3 by walking 60-90 minutes a day,weight training and 1200 calorie.Good luck.
  • Masalamommy
    Options
    Wow 1000 not good for your health
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I started out at 1200 in 2011. I would stick to it for 5-6 days then go crazy eating for a couple of days. It was tough because I got really hungry even when I ate super clean. When I bumped it up to 1600 I was able to stick to it better and had energy.

Now I lose at 1800-2000 calories. I lift weights 3-5 days a week for 45 minutes and do 30 minutes of cardio once or maybe twice a week.
  • bradXdale
    Options

Nobody wants to massage you :/

1000 calories a day. Enjoy burning your lean muscle tissue and fibers.
  • PHDork16
    PHDork16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started a month ago at 1200 calories and have lost almost 4 pounds. I think 1200 is reasonable if you are starting at a lower weight. At 5'2" and a high weight of 137, even at 1200 cals/day it will take me a while to get to my goal. I eliminated a lot of sugar and try to eat "bulkier" foods (veggies, whole grains) so I am not hungry. It did take me a while to adjust to the amount of food I'm eating but now it seems *almost* normal. I also exercise most days and eat some of my calories back (often in the form of wine or beer!).

Good luck!
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am, at first it seemed like way too little food, but I found once I cut out drinking calories and upped my protein and fat it was actually quite a lot of food.

I cut out juice, sugared coffee, pop and empty calories of no nutritional value like candy, chips and cookies (though I will occasionally cheat if I have enough calories left). I cut way back on carbs and sugars and upped my protein and fat intake a ton. Now instead of carbs I'll have vegetables with my protein at lunch and dinner, and I try to snack on things like fruit, yogurt, cheese and almonds the rest of the time. I don't drink any calories except for unsweetened almond milk which is only 30 calories a cup.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Nobody wants to massage you :/

1000 calories a day. Enjoy burning your lean muscle tissue and fibers.

He's not worried about where he loses weight from. He just wants to reduce the number on the scale. Forget body composition.
  • Serah87
    Options
    I started a month ago at 1200 calories and have lost almost 4 pounds. I think 1200 is reasonable if you are starting at a lower weight. At 5'2" and a high weight of 137, even at 1200 cals/day it will take me a while to get to my goal. I eliminated a lot of sugar and try to eat "bulkier" foods (veggies, whole grains) so I am not hungry. It did take me a while to adjust to the amount of food I'm eating but now it seems *almost* normal. I also exercise most days and eat some of my calories back (often in the form of wine or beer!).

Good luck!

I am 5'2 and weigh 125 and eat way more than you do!! I've done the 1200 calories before and so glad i don't anymore. I enjoy eating more to lose weight!! :wink:
  • shicken684
    Options
    . I eat a lot of sweet cereals, like lucky charms, mostly when I feel like I am in need of some ice cream or something else that is sweet.( A much lower calorie option)

I love sugar free jello for this. I try to always have some in the fridge for that once a week sugar craving. I think an entire box is only 80 calories.
  • charlicee
    Options
    It's hard for me on some days to even reach 1200 kcal! I eat LOTS of veggies that are low cal but high-nutrient and high-water content. I eat lean meats, only eat 3-4 oz per meal (yes, I take the time to weigh and measure my foods, one serving barely the size of your palm). I stick with three main meals, maybe a mid-afternoon snack after my workout if I am real hungry. (And sometimes a banana or yogurt after my nightly circuit on occasion if necessary.) I try to avoid calorie-dense foods, often grains, because veggies contain many of the same ingredients, without the kcal. Bare bones, plain for many people, but I can taste all the subtleties when you lay off the sauces and use spices; when you skip unnecessary salts, fats, and sugars; and when you eat eat till you're full.