NEVER been to a Gym, Going Tomorrow. So scared, HELP PLEASE!

Options
12346»

Replies

• swsays
    swsays Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hope it goes well today! I totally remember when I signed up for my first yoga class last fall. I scheduled the class a couple days in advance and was nearly hyperventilating before I walked in the door. And it was just fine! Fabulous actually.

I agree with the other posts that said think about (and answer) "what is the worst thing that could happen?" Odds are, anything awkward will be no problem, as she said.

Good luck!!
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Read this. It is titled Dear new girl at the gym.

http://ericamillard.com/?p=1566
  • motivatethismom
    motivatethismom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Saw this video and thought of this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXpqKknfijM

Never be afraid of the gym.

although it seems he is talking to a man not a women, it did help a bit. thanks!
  • RhysWill_I_Ams
    Options
    You've just go to go in there with a degree of confidence in yourself. Gym's are unnerving places at first, but everyone has felt like that at one point or another. If you've got an Ipod or an mp3 player it makes it a whoe lot better as you can tune out the rest of the people. The best bit of advice I can give is if you don't know what you think is the best workout ASK! If it is a decent gym people will always be willing to help you. If that doesn't work you've always got the personal trainers etc.
    Good Luck!
  • motivatethismom
    motivatethismom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It went very good!! I still feel like I will be a little nervous until I get everything down path but alot of you were right on how it's not as big of a deal as I thought :) it was a fear of mine and I'm so happy to have gotten past that fear in my life!! So proud of myself
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    It went very good!! I still feel like I will be a little nervous until I get everything down path but alot of you were right on how it's not as big of a deal as I thought :) it was a fear of mine and I'm so happy to have gotten past that fear in my life!! So proud of myself

171-0726083047-told-ya.jpg

:bigsmile:
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So proud of you. The hardest thing is walking in the door. After a few visits you will know your way round and feel comfortable with your surroundings. Then it will be just a good place to go workout. :o)
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight walking, running and weightlifting at home. I decided not long ago that I wanted to lift heavier. So I started back at the gym. The only question I have now is WHY, OH WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG? Now I drive 20 minutes there, and 20 minutes back and have to remind myself not to overdo it by staying to long. lol. No one at the gym is going to judge you and if they do don't worry, they wont be going to the gym for long (those people are not there to work out anyhow) Don't worry about what you wear, just wear what is comfortable. I would suggest a good sports bra though. As far as knowing what to do with the equipment, I have found that just about everyone will answer a quick question and if they see you struggling with something will help. Pretty soon you will be helping out the new girl at the gym. Congrats!
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym, and I am horribly self conscience (to a fault). I will tell ya what, I got a trainer and decided to just go for it. She was so pretty and tough. She was exaclty what I wish I looked like. I used her for inspiration. She whipped my *kitten* all over that gym. I think its what I needed. I had already been working out on my own but she pushed me beyond my comfort point. I know I was red-faced, sweating, and gasping the entire time. A few people were looking at me funny but I told myself I was there only for myself. If I was gonna do it, I needed to go all out and not pay any attention to anyone else. I left that gym feeling like my legs were jello and I was gonna puke, but it was also the best feeling of accomplishment ever. I didn't let my self consciousness get the best of me.
  • AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    In a way starting a new gym is like your first day at school. So many machines, not knowing what to do.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    First time I went to the gym I felt like such a dork!
    Really there is nothing to worry about! Good job in overcoming your fear, keep it up! Over time hopefully it will become a "happy place" :happy:
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You have NOTHING to be scared off!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will love it, the instructor will walk you around, show you how to use everything, you can ask them any questions, where the lockers are, logging your calories onto a key (My gym does this everytime you start the machines)

It will be so much fun - You will even make lots of friends.

You should get a diary of there classes, and once your comfortable in the gym add some of them - They are great fun!

Try zumba/Body combat/Boxercise/Body pump/Kettlebells - Great for toning all over the body : )

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    I am in desperate need of a talk to calm me down to motivate me I am so scared. I have never been to a gym in my life, I am a 27 year old mom of 3. I've put it off for way too long and I am tired of being depressed about all this extra built up fat in my tummy area and legs. I finally visited a gym yesterday, so my first session will be tomorrow. A trainer is supposed to help me out that day. I have no clue about anything! I don't even know how to work a treadmill let alone the other machines. I know they will help me learn but I am so scared. Please give me some encouraging stories of your first time at the gym!
    How would you calm your child if it was their first day of school? Use that same approach.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!!! You can do this.
  • vt78che
    vt78che Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just to echo what everyone else is saying, just block everyone else out and do your thing. don't start out trying to go to extremes - your muscles will rebel very quickly in the beginning, about 2 days after your over-do it. Remember, every single person in that gym had their first day at one time, and probably felt equally self-conscious. It won't take long to start seeing results, and that becomes a BIG motivator!

All the best to you!

Mike
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Awesome!! :happy: