I'm being honest...

Options
2»

Replies

• gem192
    gem192 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey OP,

I too have gone through this cycle many times. I now, annoyingly, have a lot of weight to lose, because a few more pounds always creep on after we fall off plan :(

For me, what worked was getting REALLY real with myself. Not mean, just real.

e.g. It's not actually that hard, stop using excuses. Sitting here is how I got myself into this mess. Nobody shoves food down my throat, I am sabotaging myself, etc etc.

Also, having back up plans for exercise really helped. I always seem to do the same workout DVD, but of course I get bored of that, so I have the option of going for a long walk, or doing a fitness game on Xbox, or starting the 30 Day Shred. So instead of just not working out, I allow myself to "choose." I always end up doing something!

Also, just putting your workout gear on really helps. Just autopilot the getting ready to work out part (get changed, get your water), then when you're physically ready you'll be way more motivated.

Hope at least some of this nonsense helps!
  • hjpate
    hjpate Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I rarely post anything but I can relate to you (OP) and your frustration. Been there, done that and bought the size XL t-shirt.

Do ONE thing that makes a change. Do it for a week, maybe two. Keep doing that ONE thing and add ONE MORE thing. Do both Thing One and Thing Two for a couple of weeks and add ONE MORE thing. Keep at Things One, Two and Three for a few weeks and then contemplate introducing yourself to Thing Four. And so on.

I had to keep a list for awhile to keep track of Things One thru (pick a number somewhere around 20) by which time I'd been doing the first Things for about 5 months. And bless their little size smaller t-shirts, they became HABITS. And I liked my new shape and my new habits so I kept them and eventually didn't need a list for anything other than any new Things I added.

So here I am, 11.5 months in and down 69 lbs. It could have been more but I like chocolate, Christmas baking and the occasional Chinese food dinner. I now wear a size M t-shirt and have a wardrobe of clothes to move on out. And my so-called "skinny" clothes in size L are now too big, too.

Ideas for Things, you ask? Exercise - do 10 minutes of SOMETHING. I bought an elliptical trainer as it is best for me. I started on the easiest setting and ploughed along for 10 minutes on Day 1. Then on Day 7, I went for 20 minutes. Now I use all the settings and usually aim for a vigorous no slowing down 60 minutes. Works for me. You pick what you like. Also, take the stairs not the elevator, park at the far end of the parking lot (if it's safe!) and so on.

Food - eat a smaller apple. Eat a spoonful less of the cereal. Find a snack that is 10 calories less than the one you eat now. Find foods that are more satisfying for you. Find foods that are easy to track - I like flavoured rice cakes. They are between 40-45 cals each. I know where that fits in my daily goals. And if I schlump over my goal for calories - either eat less the next day, ramp up an extra session of exercise or say "I forgive me and the chocolate was awesome!" Then go back on the plan.

It took me so long to write this, I see others have said something similar. :ohwell:
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you want to lose weight but not badly enough that you're willing to make permanent change to achieve it. You've got the knowledge, now you just need the kick up the butt to do it. And although a kick up the butt sounds external it needs to come from within (figuratively speaking - have just given myself some scary visuals)
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    you sound like a planner. I am very good at making plans. I have list of lists. I research all the best ways. What I am not so good at is actually finishing those plans.

I have make myself come here every day and most days I log every thing faithfully (weighed and exact), every now and then when I feel like giving up I just log one or two things, eat what I want and start again the next day. I weigh myself every day and log it in an app where I get a pretty graph telling me my weight is on a downward trajectory over time, so it's all well. I tell myself that skinny people don't eat perfect calories every day either, they merely got the balance between good days and bad days right :-)
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    you sound like a planner. I am very good at making plans. I have list of lists. I research all the best ways. What I am not so good at is actually finishing those plans.

I have make myself come here every day and most days I log every thing faithfully (weighed and exact), every now and then when I feel like giving up I just log one or two things, eat what I want and start again the next day. I weigh myself every day and log it in an app where I get a pretty graph telling me my weight is on a downward trajectory over time, so it's all well. I tell myself that skinny people don't eat perfect calories every day either, they merely got the balance between good days and bad days right :-)

I still haven't figured out that balance. I'm trying though.
  • hararayne
    Options
    So, I didn't make it to the gym yesterday. Instead I had an argument with my perpetually thin boyfriend about why I didn't want to go to Red Lobster. After some tears and explaining to him how hard he is making things he finally relented. I had a salad and some dried roasted peas for dinner because I had a really large lunch with my grandma that I had planned for.

But it really sucked to hear him say, "Why does one day matter?" It really sucked to have to tell him, because this is so easy for him, that "One day turns into day after day after day." So for those of you that say, just do one small change and it will add up....that doesn't work for me. It's to easy to have multiple days where I don't eat right, or forget to log the candy I had or not workout. But I also know that I've been really hard on myself.

My goals are to make sure I log everything, everyday, for the next month. I will try to stay under my calorie goal.

I'm not going to beat myself up right now about working out. I'm working a ton of hours and have laundry and dogs and things to take care off. But I owe it to myself to stick to those goals for the next month and forgive myself for not working on the exercise part of the goal.

Thanks for the support and the replies!
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My thoughts if you zone out at the gym while watching TV, you might not be getting all the benefits of working out and may lean more towards just going through the motions.

I use music to get me through the workouts. I have a ton of cardio mixes (62 and counting--I get bored easily) to help me set my pace. They're all carefully chosen for length and beat and lyrics. I do watch TV, well I read the subtitles, but the beat keeps me moving at the right speed.

I bring my gym clothes to the office, change there and go directly to the gym. Sometimes, I'll throw them on at lunch and walk for a couple miles. Plus, I set a good example for my office mates! :)
    my friends call me ADD when I do this,,TV on for my eyes,Ipod in for my head to focus on then I still go over TKD stuff all at the same time..while on the stationary bike,, I probably do have ADD,,and it works for me,,not bad,just enough that I have to keep mixing things up or I also get bored really fast!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    So, I didn't make it to the gym yesterday. Instead I had an argument with my perpetually thin boyfriend about why I didn't want to go to Red Lobster. After some tears and explaining to him how hard he is making things he finally relented. I had a salad and some dried roasted peas for dinner because I had a really large lunch with my grandma that I had planned for.

But it really sucked to hear him say, "Why does one day matter?" It really sucked to have to tell him, because this is so easy for him, that "One day turns into day after day after day." So for those of you that say, just do one small change and it will add up....that doesn't work for me. It's to easy to have multiple days where I don't eat right, or forget to log the candy I had or not workout. But I also know that I've been really hard on myself.

My goals are to make sure I log everything, everyday, for the next month. I will try to stay under my calorie goal.

I'm not going to beat myself up right now about working out. I'm working a ton of hours and have laundry and dogs and things to take care off. But I owe it to myself to stick to those goals for the next month and forgive myself for not working on the exercise part of the goal.

What's wrong with Red Lobster??? Seafood can easily fit into your eating as long as you make good choices about what to get. Are you never, ever going to go to Red Lobster again?? Because if you DO plan to go again one day, then don't avoid it now. That's creating unsustainable habits. Go where you want, but make smart and informed choices.
  • hararayne
    Options

What's wrong with Red Lobster??? Seafood can easily fit into your eating as long as you make good choices about what to get. Are you never, ever going to go to Red Lobster again?? Because if you DO plan to go again one day, then don't avoid it now. That's creating unsustainable habits. Go where you want, but make smart and informed choices.

Going out is something that should be a treat. I had already gone out that day with my grandmother for lunch. I had chinese food. Why should I set myself up for failure by going out twice in a day. It is HARD to say no to those biscuit things. And I alway do pick the lower calorie options. I get the crab legs and broccoli, perhaps salmon if I do a pick 2. But even with the salad that meal can easily get over 500 calories. I didn't have enough after going out with my grandmother for lunch to let myself do that. I want to enjoy dinner, and I was really looking forward to my salad for dinner. I didn't want to sit and freak out about which thing is healthiest at Red Lobster. On a restricted calorie diet, it is nearly impossible to eat out twice in a day and keep calories in check. It CAN be done, but it's not much fun and not worth the money.