Birth Control Help- Desperate!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I think you probably had the right birth control before. However, if you've been changing quickly, that could be part of the problem. I really love my lo lo estrin that I rake now. The copper iud was great for a while, but I had some period complications and really needed mine regulated.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options

What do you mean pregnancy kills btw?

I mean that pregnancy kills more women than birth control. By FAR. In this country, maternal mortality is very low and rare, thanks to modern medicine and availability of doctors. In countries without our medical resources, maternal and fetal mortality (death) can approach 50%.

Pregnancy puts extreme stress on a woman's body, which is why, biologically it is generally is supposed to occur between 15-25 years of age (our societal expectations are much different, of course...). In a healthy young women, these changes are usually compensated for and therefore, especially now, most pregnancies are successful. However, if you are unhealthy, obese, have a chronic disease (i.e.: asthma, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc,etc, etc) your body may be unable to cope and we may have to intervene in ways to change, save, or prolong/shorten your pregnancy that were just not available 100 years ago, just to save you or your baby's life. This is so commonplace now that most women have no idea how close they, or their baby, potentially came to dying.

I challenge any woman reading this to go to a cemetary that contains gravestones from the 1700-1930s. Look at the ages on the stones for women, then look at all the tiny little graves next to them. I've done it. It is eye opening.

Most women still get pregnant willy-nilly, despite the ready availability of safe and effective birth control. We STILL have an almost 50% "unintended" pregnancy rate. It is completely baffling to me.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna chime in with praise for the Paragard IUD. I've had mine for almost two years and it's amazing. I've always had irregular cycles so I can't comment on the spotting or heavier cycles thing, but I love mine! The Paragard is the non-hormonal one, the Mirena is hormonal.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I have been on Ortho-Evra (the patch) and its been GREAT for me. I've been on it four years & had little to no issue with it. I gaoned weight, slightly, but I was also eating horribly at the time, and not exercising. I highly recommend it, plus you dont have to remember to take it every day.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I took ortho-tricyclen (regular) for about 12 years and it worked great, except for that one time (he's 10 now). I never had any problems with that one, but I switched to Yaz and I had what you are describing. Best of luck to ya.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I had a very similar experience. The reason why Ortho messed me up so much was because I had PCOS and my hormones were WACKY! My doctor had to introduce me to a hormone pill for about two months.

I'm now on the Nuva-ring. It might sound weird but it's really the best birth control that I've ever been on. I started it almost 2 years ago and never gained weight on it.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Thank you every body! I really appreciate it!

I think my anxiety was from moving out at 17/being homeless and starting college all on my own. I was lost and I think the doctor was kinda (stupid) hate to be like that but, he put me on depression meds and it made me suicidal, told him and he kept telling me to stick it out.... (which now being 22, I understand that if you feel that way, wing yourself off.... at 17 and alone, I was like totally convienced from him)

Thank you everybody! I don't have kiddos, and not really sure about the IUD because of all the scarey stories.. I will look into the nuva ring!

The arm implant, nexaplanon, is pretty cool. I've had mine in for about a year and I kind of love it.

Me too! I was on Implanon previously, and I loved it, too.

I didn't care for the Nuva Ring. I found it to be irritating. I love my implant, though.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Consider Mirena, the IUD. The hormone dose is *really* low--about as low as you can get, since the delivery isn't through the digestive system, and it will make your period much lighter.

Edit: I just saw your mention of scary IUD stories. Those are mostly from the 70s, when the technology just wasn't well thought out. They were using an overly long string that was made out of fibers that could harbor bacteria. That's not the case now. The Copper-T IUD works well for preventing pregnancy without any hormones at all *but* it will make your period heavier, so I'd think Mirena might work better. Alas, let's just say that anatomically the Ring couldn't work for me, but I won't go to the TMI place!
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    I would question why a clinician thought ortho tri cyclen low caused your anxiety. The multiphasics supposedly have fewer side effects versus monophasic since they more closely mimic estrogen production patterns.
    A low strength (20mg or less of estradiol) might be a better option; going back to ortho tri cyclen low or even lo-loestrin (the only 10mcg estradiol on the market). Btw night time dosing can also alleviate some side effects such as nausea

Were you on other meds when you had anxiety?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I would question why a clinician thought ortho tri cyclen low caused your anxiety. The multiphasics supposedly have fewer side effects versus monophasic since they more closely mimic estrogen production patterns.
    A low strength (20mg or less of estradiol) might be a better option; going back to ortho tri cyclen low or even lo-loestrin (the only 10mcg estradiol on the market). Btw night time dosing can also alleviate some side effects such as nausea

Were you on other meds when you had anxiety?

Oh, yeah, just want to say that I am the one that also mentioned throwing up from birth control. I took it at night (as they said that would help with the vomiting) and then I would be up puking all night. They told me to keep taking it and that it would reduce. It did not. And I stopped during the period break and even started again and was puking every night again.

Then I was put on a low dose one that did not do that to me. And that was this one that was mentioned in the quote above: lo-loestrin (the only 10mcg estradiol on the market). Thanks for reminding me of the name.

I don't know if size has anything to do with it. I only weighed 98 pounds and am petite and small framed. I was very active and fit as a professional dancer, low bodyfat (visible abs). Or may just be how I respond to hormones. I also threw up regularly for the full nine months of both my pregnancies.
  • Trishsimon
    Options
    You're probably going to lol at me, but unless you need it in order to have regular periods then it's best to just come off everything for a while until your body resets. While you're trying to lose weight, logic of MFP, you are actually going through changes anyway, both hormonal & psychological. If you're just using it for sex, stop having sex, it's obviously not helping your moods (only partly joking bc women release "happy hormones" during orgasm). Vaya con Dios

Sorry but this really is not good advice it might work for you but obviously she is on birth control for a reason, I originally used Implanon which is the bar that goes in your arm for birth control and for help with bad time of the months, I had in twice and found it fantastic the first time and not so much the second time but I was in my 30's the second time and now I have the Mirena Coil which is brilliant, no periods and if I do get one its for 2 days and is painless and best of of its 99% safe and in for 3 or 5 years which you can take out at anytime. You are meant to have had kids to get this in or be over 35 but go speak to your doctor again if you are young I would suggest Implanon.
  • LauraBee96
    LauraBee96 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

The arm implant, nexaplanon, is pretty cool. I've had mine in for about a year and I kind of love it.

I also have the arm plant, implanon (in Australia) and it's been great. I've been on it for over a year. The only issue is that I've been having reprisals of acne since it's a different hormone.. but I was extremely prone to acne to begin with.

Like others have said, its a matter or finding the right combination of chemicals for your body.
  • LauraBee96
    LauraBee96 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You're probably going to lol at me, but unless you need it in order to have regular periods then it's best to just come off everything for a while until your body resets. While you're trying to lose weight, logic of MFP, you are actually going through changes anyway, both hormonal & psychological. If you're just using it for sex, stop having sex, it's obviously not helping your moods (only partly joking bc women release "happy hormones" during orgasm). Vaya con Dios

Sorry but this really is not good advice it might work for you but obviously she is on birth control for a reason, I originally used Implanon which is the bar that goes in your arm for birth control and for help with bad time of the months, I had in twice and found it fantastic the first time and not so much the second time but I was in my 30's the second time and now I have the Mirena Coil which is brilliant, no periods and if I do get one its for 2 days and is painless and best of of its 99% safe and in for 3 or 5 years which you can take out at anytime. You are meant to have had kids to get this in or be over 35 but go speak to your doctor again if you are young I would suggest Implanon.

Cheers!