not being able to reach calorie goal

Options
This has bothered me for quite a long time already.

Whenever I increase my protein intake and lower my carbs intake, I really don't feel the hunger, then I would end up not meeting even 1200 calories a day but really don't feel like eating more.
I tried and forced myself to eat a little more just to get over 1200 calories and ended up feeling sick and sluggish the entire evening.

Just to check here, it's okay for me to not eat more if I really don't feel like eating, right?
My major concern is that I might lose muscle mass if I don't eat enough,
especially when I workout at least 45mins, 6 days/week, doing both HIIT cardio and weights,
and I usually spend most of my day at work standing and walking.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you're doing that amount of exercise you should be eating more than 1200 calories anyway. You need to be eating a portion of your exercise calories back. MFP already gives you a sufficient deficit to lose weight so you are meant to eat them back. Try planning your meals over the day more spread out more. Lowering your carbs will have no effect on your weightloss try not to get too obsessed with that. If I was you are would concentrate first on getting your calories at a reasonable and consistent level then once you have don that you then can look at your macros if you want. If you increase your calories your protein will naturally increase anyway so you wont have to force it
  • EpsilonGamma
    Options
    If you don't want to lose muscle mass you need to make sure you do eat enough protein and then also get close to your maintenance on weights days.

The easiest way to meet your goal after all the eating, is like a tablespoon of peanut butter or eat some almonds (nuts) as they are all high in calories.

If you don't care about eating a few carbs, then a couple of pieces of chocolate would help too.
  • phantomjam
    phantomjam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Protein tends to sate appetite. If you reduce the protein your appetite will return.

If you eat a large percentage of protein and are then unable to meet your carbohydrate percentage your body will metabolize fat, either from your diet or cells or both. If you go too low with your carb intake you may get headaches or insomnia (and other odd symptoms) because of distubance of the production of hormones. In which case, up your carbs.

Listen to your body. Sure you can use a ratio as a guideline but remember that human beings aren't manufactured. There are variances in needs from person to person. The important thing is to find a balance that allows you to enjoy your new diet so that you'll stick with it for the long term. Use your muscles, that's the most effective way of maintaining them. The body metabolizes protein when it runs out of other sources because of starvation or extreme exercise. If you are fat, you are not starved. You, however, can be malnourished so try to eat a variety of real foods that will provide you with the nutrients necessary for life.
  • WinnershCyclist
    Options
    I am going through the same I just accepted for months the 1200 default calories managing 950 average and lost no weight at all even though I am burning thousands of calories a week. My gym have been saying eat more so I increased to 1800 and again I just cant reach that goal my average is 1300.
    I came across this BMR video and I think it makes sense so am going to try eating my bmr less 500 =2100
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKIuW_-03wQ
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same I just accepted for months the 1200 default calories managing 950 average and lost no weight at all even though I am burning thousands of calories a week. My gym have been saying eat more so I increased to 1800 and again I just cant reach that goal my average is 1300.
    I came across this BMR video and I think it makes sense so am going to try eating my bmr less 500 =2100
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKIuW_-03wQ

I hope I misunderstood you there, because to me that reads as 'I'm going to eat 500 calories less than my BMR', which is definitely not advisable.
  • ctsang723
    ctsang723 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    Stupid of me forgetting that I can always add in the nuts!