Heart rate monitor

Options
I was wondering how many people really use a heart rate monitor. I am thinking of purchasing one, but before I go & spend the money, I was wondering what the benefit of having one are.

Also, which one do you suggest?

Thanks!

Replies

• Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    My main reason I bought it was for accuracy, MFP is pretty bad at guesstimating how many calories that you burned. I bought the Polar FT4 and couldn't be happier with it!
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Use my HRM every time I work out! Love it and it's a lot more accurate than MFP.. I also have the polar FT4
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have an older Polar HRM that I use every time I'm doing cardio. When I'm on a bike, I feel naked without it! I've been using it for 7+ years and it's still working quite well.

If you get an HRM, make sure you can input more than just your height, weight, and max HR. Get one that has your VO2 max as well, or the calories burned will still be inaccurate (still better than MFP estimates).
  • JohannaJewell
    Options
    Haha & what is VO2 max? Sorry, I have no clue!
  • alpdexplorer
    alpdexplorer Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I bought a HRM a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier! Definitely money well spent. (:

I own a Polar FT4 <3

MFP either over-estimates my calories burned or under-estimates. HRM helps with accuracy.
  • alpdexplorer
    alpdexplorer Posts: 251 Member
    Options

This is the one I have - except it's black and grey (:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

VO2 max is the volume of oxygen your blood can carry. The more oxygen it can carry, the more efficient it is, and the harder you can push yourself (or, the less work your heart has to do to keep up with your exercise). Basically, the lower it is, the more your heart has to work when you're exercising, the more calories you will burn at the same level of work you are doing than if your VO2 were higher.

That's it in a nutshell. As you get into better shape, your VO2 max will improve, and you will burn fewer calories if you were to do the same workout in the future. If the HRM has this feature, it makes the HRM calorie burn more accurate.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options

VO2 max is the volume of oxygen your blood can carry. The more oxygen it can carry, the more efficient it is, and the harder you can push yourself (or, the less work your heart has to do to keep up with your exercise). Basically, the lower it is, the more your heart has to work when you're exercising, the more calories you will burn at the same level of work you are doing than if your VO2 were higher.

That's it in a nutshell. As you get into better shape, your VO2 max will improve, and you will burn fewer calories if you were to do the same workout in the future. If the HRM has this feature, it makes the HRM calorie burn more accurate.

Just out of curiosity how do you know your VO2? :embarassed: