Which protein shake is the best for women?

Options
I want to know which protein shake is the best one as a meal replacement. I want to use this at night. There are soooo many out there and I would appreciate any info on them. Thanks :)

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Look for ones that come in pink, sparkly packaging, that always call when they say they will, bring you flowers, and remember your birthday, and that you can enjoy while listening to soft music in a candlelit bubble bath.
  • julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter really. Proteins aren't gender specific. Just don't get a massive gain protein.
    Perfect Whey or Diesel are good and tasty. About 28 grams of protein. I also like Kaizen protein.
  • amygauv
    amygauv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I really love the Muscle Milk Light, no weird after taste! But what julies90 said... proteins aren't gender specific.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I am new to drinking protein shakes, but I drink Optimum Whey Gold Standard Double Chocolate I got from bodybuilding.com. I was fearful of bulking up, but was told it wouldn't happen. I mix it with 2% milk.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    So you want to replace dinner with a protein shake? Personally, I think that would be a mistake. I don't believe in using any diet tactics that aren't sustainable, and I find it highly improbable that anyone would give up dinner for the long term- it's too much of a communal meal.

Any brand of protein shake is fine for women- experiment and find one you like the taste of. There's no difference between the protein requirements for woman than men. I would advise mixing with milk or almond milk if you're trying to limit calories. If you want it to be more substantial like a meal, you can mix it in a blender with frozen fruit, spinach, kale, peanut butter, flax seed, oats, fresh fruit- whatever, really.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    whichever one she will take.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If you really feel the need to replace a meal with a shake, maybe make it breakfast rather than dinner (dinner is a social meal) and make sure it's full of actual food.
    Use a protein powder (I use Optimum Nutrition) and add milk of choice, fruit and/or leafy veg like kale or spinach some ice and perhaps a quarter cup of uncooked oats to bulk it out. Loads of good stuff, filling and tasty... Plus you can drink it on your work commute etc, leaving more time for your morning workout or (my choice) more sleep.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    okay- well there are a few issues at hand.
    Protein shakes are not meal replacement shakes.

They can be- but they are not inherently the same thing.

most people don't need meal replacements- but that's not for me to say since I don't know you. Usually a meal replacement isn't as satisfying and works better for people having a hard timing meeting their calorie goals. Real food is almost always better than liquid food.

But be careful if you're goal is to just supplement protein- you don't want a meal replacement- you're going to blow your calories like crazy if you do.

protein is protein- there is no male female specific- so buy which everyone makes you happy in your pants and go from there. Gold Standard is a really good brand and is a great price point. You can't really go wrong with it.

I am new to drinking protein shakes, but I drink Optimum Whey Gold Standard Double Chocolate I got from bodybuilding.com. I was fearful of bulking up, but was told it wouldn't happen. I mix it with 2% milk.
    protein won't make you bulk- a calorie surplus and consistent progressive heavy over load- over the course of years makes you bulk.

it's laughably hard to ACTUALLY bulk. it doesn't happen on accident.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Hi, Are you looking for a protein replacement for weight loss? My doctor recommended a whey protein powder replacement. She said sometimes the soy proteins don't always give women the desired results. I have tried body fortress super advanced whey protein replacement. The vanilla taste is decent, best if mixed with low calorie almond milk or skim milk (not water). One scoop (41g) 170 cal 2.5 fat 30 g protein and 7 carbs. Good luck
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    The one made by a man
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Proteins, like dumbbells and weight plates, aren't gender specific. Pick your favorite flavor and go nuts.
  • amandaconover
    amandaconover Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really like Unjury - Vanilla, it is medial quality protein. I purchase it from my dr's office but you can also purchase it from the Unjury website. It is 21 grams of protein!
  • Another vote for Optimum Nutrition.

flavorwise, ON and Trutein are voted the best consistently on bodybuilding.com

protein is not gender specific and if you are buying one that says it's "made for females" about the only thing you are getting is a price hike because of marketing technique.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    The one that doesn't make you gag? And doesn't clump.

It's hard to swallow the clumpy ones.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The one that doesn't make you gag? And doesn't clump.

It's hard to swallow the clumpy ones.

OMG someone gave me mango/peach whatever ISOPURE.

HOLYSH*TSNACKSBATMAN.

didn't blend well- and tasted like complete and utter *kitten*.

50$ of wasted protein- i coudln't even think of a useful way to dispose of it. barf.
  • abickford82
    Options
    It's not gender specific.

I however like Cytosport Vanilla or Chocolate (from Costco). 140 calories a scoop, 27g of protein, 3g of carbs and sugar. Also contain a little bit of fiber, too. I try my best to consume a high fiber diet so it's important my protein contains some. HTH!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    The one straight from the source. :smokin: :drinker:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I prefer to pick the tastiest.
  • MSmith74
    MSmith74 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love shakeology but it is only available in the US, Canada or shipped to an FPO and only through a beachbody coach.
    It is great for women because it is high in calcium and antioxidants and all natural.