High Fiber Diet

Options
I had a... well, we'll call it a "health situation" last week at the doctors office. A MORTIFYING health situation. Anyway, I was told that I need to eat much more "clean" and start on a high fiber diet. So here I am, asking for help and advice and maybe some new friends who are in the same situation. Problem with high fiber is that i'm not a huge fan of veggies. I love fruit and I like chili but I can't eat it every day or i'll end up hating it. As of right now i'm getting the majority of my daily fiber from fruit but can't that lead to other issues with all of the natural sugar i'm now consuming?

Any suggestions for high fiber food would be MUCH appreciated!

Replies

• krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    if you're a cereal eater, try All Bran Buds in your regular cereal. I like to mix about 1/4-1/3 cup of Buds into Multi-Grain Cheerios or Apple Cinnamon Cheerios. So you still get a bit of sweetness but a whole bunch of added fibre. Or if you're an oatmeal eater, try adding things like Wheat Bran or ground Flax into your usual oatmeal to up the fibre. Or a nice homemade Bran muffin with blueberries is always good too! :)

Sorry, I guess these are mainly breakfast ideas... it's my favourite meal of the day, so I guess it's always on my mind!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    High fiber cereal,salads with added raw veggies,smoothies with raw fruit/ veggies added.Hi fiber bread,corn,beans,peas
    Any veggies you like.Home made veggie soup.
    Try adding Kellogs bran cereal to cereal,only takes 1/3 C,but start with 1/4 C.
  • squirrel1691
    Options
    The fiber one brownies and bars each have 5g fiber. Also, there are herb wraps (I will try and find the name) that have 9g fiber. I think they are called ole extreme health wraps or something?
  • harperjs
    harperjs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils are an awesome source of fiber. They add up really quickly! I used to eat lots of Kashi / Fiber One bars, but my body really don't enjoy the chicory root fiber they add. I find foods with naturally occurring fiber don't wreak so much gastric havoc. Whole grain bread, an apple and peanut butter has the same amount of fiber as a fiber-added cereal.

ETA: My best friend is a dietitian and says fiber is a nutritional wonderdrug. Keeps you full, really good for your body, associated with all kinds of good long term health trends. So it may be a little work to find new foods to eat now, but your body will thank you!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Do you like pumpkin pie? I had to up my fiber significantly as well, and the whole recipe here packs 15g of fiber: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-smoothie

I get a lot of my fiber from fruit like bananas, apples, and pears (be sure to leave the skin on the apples and pears). I also get the Flatout brand flatbread, which has 9g of fiber.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Do you like porridge/oats

Fruits & veggies

Cereals - Branflakes, Museli etc are high fibre - Seeds & Nuts?

Seeded wholemeal bread

I used to take fybregel sachets - I think that's what there called. Can get all different flavours, just add water in the morning and night - Helps you go number 2 too : )
  • naariel
    Options
    Are you sure it was about a high fibre diet? I'm not going or trying to go against medical advice, but there's a difference between being told informally to eat cleaner and add more fibre (like, going to no fibre to a few veggies a day), and being prescribed a high fibre diet. I'm a bit stunned if you're being prescribed a medical high fibre diet without being given an actual plan and even nutritionist supervision depending of the nature of your problems.

I assume your mortifying health problems are related to poo (including lack of), colon etc.
    If you're prone to constipation and needed medical help to "get it out", going to no fibre to high fibre can be absolutely dramatic. Fibres tend to make healthy people poo (a lot) but can make chronically constipated people more constipated and with bigger "stucked poo", including actual fecalomes. It all depend on what cause the constipation. (Chronic dehydratation, lazy bowels etc.)

Be sure to increase your fibre intake SLOWLY and with plenty of water, otherwise you're doing more harm than good. Going slowly will also allow you to monitor how much is good and how much is too much.