First rest day. WAY OVER CALORIES!! HELP!!!

Options
So i have no idea but on rest days I GET REALLY REALLY HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get to binge/overeat and now I'm over 2,000.. help me :(

Replies

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Maybe you shouldn't eat so much on rest days.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    only you can control that. This is a sign you're not eating right on the days where you're working out. Track your calories, eat smaller meals, eat more veggies to fill you, and drink at least 1/2 your body weight in water.
  • ohlookabear
    Options

I wish I could stop.. but I was HUNGRY! I was literally hungry and ate I think whatever I had in sight.. I ALWAYS experieced that on rest days
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    What's your TDEE? On my "cheat" days I just try to make sure I don't go over that. I figure I'm not losing, but shouldn't be gaining either at that rate. Mine is over 2,000 calories. If you have MFP set to lose 1 lb. a week, your TDEE is probably about 500 calories more than your daily calorie target. Even if you're just a little over that, it's one day. Not the end of the world.

Personally, I think if you're hungry, that's your body telling you something. Might be a little too aggressive on the other days.
  • ohlookabear
    Options
    only you can control that. This is a sign you're not eating right on the days where you're working out. Track your calories, eat smaller meals, eat more veggies to fill you, and drink at least 1/2 your body weight in water.

anyway I have to stick on 1300 just to maintain this week... EXCEPT friday (my bday and I planed 1900 cals)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I wish I could stop.. but I was HUNGRY! I was literally hungry and ate I think whatever I had in sight.. I ALWAYS experieced that on rest days

Hunger doesn't mean you need to eat more, it means you need to find foods to eat that will keep you feeling fuller longer at a lower calorie total. You know it's coming, calculate ahead of time. It is a learning process.
  • ohlookabear
    Options
    What's your TDEE? On my "cheat" days I just try to make sure I don't go over that. I figure I'm not losing, but shouldn't be gaining either at that rate. Mine is over 2,000 calories. If you have MFP set to lose 1 lb. a week, your TDEE is probably about 500 calories more than your daily calorie target. Even if you're just a little over that, it's one day. Not the end of the world.

Personally, I think if you're hungry, that's your body telling you something. Might be a little too aggressive on the other days.

My TDEE is like 1900 cals..
  • rtjenny
    Options
    will power - just try to control your desire to over eat. Or eat something that's filling and nutritional.
  • ohlookabear
    Options

Hunger doesn't mean you need to eat more, it means you need to find foods to eat that will keep you feeling fuller longer at a lower calorie total. You know it's coming, calculate ahead of time. It is a learning process.

I just hate myself right now :( It's already monday and screwed up the entire week :(:(
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options

Exercise helps to decrease appetite...

You need to have more self control and maybe fewer 'rest days.' Or instead of a cheat day, maybe do a cheat meal or so to help stay on track.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Hunger isn't necessarily your body telling you anything about nutrtional or energy needs. It's more likely that it's misinterpreted thirst, or that OP ate too much sugar at once and had a blood sugar spike, then a crash and had a hunger spike from that. It does create a spike. OP needs to find a way to eat foods that are more fillling over longer periods of time without loading up with calories like protein and vegetables that are high in fiber.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I just hate myself right now :( It's already monday and screwed up the entire week :(:(

That's a pretty foolish way to look at it, it's just one day. Eat better the rest of today and then move forward again starting tomorrow.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options

My TDEE is like 1900 cals..

I just exercise if I go too far over.
  • peacefuljewel
    peacefuljewel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you can be really hungry if you are in fat burning mode. Have no idea if it's true or not....but I do find that I'm hungry and terrified that I've gained weight and I will see a loss.
  • jenniferevon
    Options
    I used to feel the same way on rest days. I found upping protein and fiber rich veggies help stop the hunger. Make sure you're eating enough on exercise days as well. You may also be dehydrated so drink PLENTY of water. 100 ounces minimum. Just hang in there, your body is resisting the changes but it does get easier.
  • ohlookabear
    Options
    thank you guys for answering.. I feel kinda better.. tomorrow is a new day tho.. have an awesome week!
  • nickowastaken
    nickowastaken Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Drink water when you're hungry... more often than not you're actually dehydrated. Do some exercise to bring yourself under your target. One messed up day doesn't mean the whole week is ruined. Keep pluckin' that chicken.
  • jenniferevon
    Options
    One more thought: Developing a healthy relationship with food and exercise is more important than seeing the scale move. I can go in the neurotic perfectionist mode if I'm not careful. I've noticed this tendency in some of my MFP friends too. Do not beat yourself up if you go over or eat some sweets or, or, or... Look at the whole picture, not an individual choice. If more often than not you're making good choices, don't beat yourself up to the point where you say screw it and binge eat or torture yourself with a super strict diet and borderline abusive exercise. Be a little more flexible with yourself and your diet and try to make more "good" choices than "bad" ones.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

You are only looking at in a negative light. Another way of phrasing it is that you screwed up Monday and have the entire week to recover from your mistakes.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Hunger isn't necessarily your body telling you anything about nutrtional or energy needs. It's more likely that it's misinterpreted thirst, or that OP ate too much sugar at once and had a blood sugar spike, then a crash and had a hunger spike from that. It does create a spike. OP needs to find a way to eat foods that are more fillling over longer periods of time without loading up with calories like protein and vegetables that are high in fiber.

Sorry if I was unclear. I *completely* agree with you. Hunger is telling you *something*. Perhaps, as you suggest, that you're thirsty, or have eaten some things that are setting you up to fail. The sugar example you note is a good one. That one used to get me badly. You make a very, very good point and I couldn't agree more. What you eat is important. And personally I think it's recklessly misleading to post things, as some here do, that could easily be interpreted as suggesting otherwise - a point I tried to make in another thread that didn't go well.