How many calories for Hot Yoga?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    The same as regular temperature yoga.

I am sure you are right. I just didn't know where to begin to find out how much to put. Too bad I don't drop the weight like I sweat in there. Thank you!

all this. Unless you intend to eat back these yoga calories, I wouldnt even log it or I would log about 4 calories a minute.

the benefits of yoga far outweigh any calorie count. Do yoga for the total you, not as a weight loss tool.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    The same as regular temperature yoga.

I am sure you are right. I just didn't know where to begin to find out how much to put. Too bad I don't drop the weight like I sweat in there. Thank you!

all this. Unless you intend to eat back these yoga calories, I wouldnt even log it or I would log about 4 calories a minute.

the benefits of yoga far outweigh any calorie count. Do yoga for the total you, not as a weight loss tool.

totally agree - yoga is for the total you, not just the calories you burn.

Although some styles - power, ashtanga, fast paced vinyasa for example - will burn more calories than more sedate or static styles.

4 calories x 60 minutes = 240 calories- yeah about right across all styles really; including hot yoga.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-greenfield/yoga-weight_b_1229126.html

hmm interesting :( a little bit of research (not great evidence, but still).

I had read about the heat "fooling" your body into working hard before too.

It's ususual to see a fitness article on a regular media site that contains accurate information--but this one is accurate enough.

Bottom line: heat, sweat, fatigue do NOT automatically equal: more calories burned.

And the higher heart rate that occurs under thermal stress conditions does NOT indicate an increase in calories burned--therefore, HRMs are USELESS for estimating calories burned for activities such as bikram yoga--or yoga in general.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    it depends on the type of yoga, but if its hot vinyasa flow yoga or bikrim, or something similar, a 60 min class would burn over 400some calories. wayyyy more than regular yoga.
    No it is not. your heart beats faster to assist in cooling your body from the temp. this does NOT mean you're burning more calories. Just that your heart is beating faster.

Your heart also beats faster when scared. I suppose this means we can lose more weight watching scary movies right?...

Same as sitting perfectly still in a hot sauna - your heart is going at near max but you are not burning many extra calories.

I'm not sure about this, I do Bikram and push myself in every pose. A few times in the class I get really breathless and I always end it exhausted. This isn't just down to the heat. I think if you are really in tune with your body and what you are doing, you can get a cardio effect out of yoga.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    However - in reply to the original question - I wouldn't log anywhere near the 700-800 per hour. I strip it right back to about 350 per 90 minutes and try not to eat those calories back anyway. The best thing about regular yoga will be in the wellbeing and muscle tone you feel, rather than any calorie burn.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I do Bikram yoga 1-2 times per week, and going by what livestrong.com says a female of my height and weight should burn, I get an estimate of 600 calories for two hours, which works out just over 400 when put into MFP as a 90 minute class.

HOWEVER...I don't generally eat back my Bikram calories like I do the calories I burn when I work out at the gym.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-greenfield/yoga-weight_b_1229126.html

hmm interesting :( a little bit of research (not great evidence, but still).

I had read about the heat "fooling" your body into working hard before too.

That's a bummer. Still, the relaxation and muscle work make it worth it. Thanks for sharing!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I've heard arguments for both sides - burns a ton of calories/ doesn't burn anymore than a regular yoga class. All I know is that I feel like a I get great workout in when I do a hot yoga class and I enjoy it! Sometimes it's what you take spiritually from the workout, the mind and body connection and not the number of calories in a log :flowerforyou:
  • mshellwi
    mshellwi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    not true that it's the same as regular yoga. It's much more. I've read anywhere from 300 for low intensity yoga to 1000 for vigorous heated flow yoga.
  • drangonfly2323
    drangonfly2323 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do Power Yoga about 4 times a week, and just started doing a Hot Power Yoga class. Me personally I leave every single class with the feeling of achieving a great workout. I am normally out of breath and exhausted. I do agree that there are lots of different factors to take into consideration when performing Yoga to try and calculate how many calories you might be burning, but honestly I believe that holds true for lots of exercises. If you take a Zumba class but stand in the back and put in minimal effort your going to get minimal results from the activity, this applies to Yoga as well. I put in lower numbers than what I am told online about what I burn during a class but I know when I leave class that I have really put in work and definitely burned calories. My Sunday class this week was with a new teacher and I swear she was like a drill instructor, she even said before hand that her classes were intense.
  • lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I did hot yoga for the first time last week. It was soooo hot! Lol wore a HRM and a hr and half burned 625.
    It was great felt refreshed and no pulled muscles the next day!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    No different to any non-hot yoga; vinyasa, power or ashtanga being slightly more in calorie burn than slower gentler styles.

Around 250 - 300 calories.

No - HRMs don't work in hot yoga - not because yoga is not cardio, but because the HRM works calorie burn out by recording heartrate over time and in hot yoga, your heartrate is elevated to attempt to cool down the body; hence artificially higher calorie readings for hot yoga.

- note - the original poster put this question out in 2012.