Started a month ago and only lost 5 pounds

Options
I started using the app again at the beginning of January and for the first time in a long time using the treadmill 6-7 days a week. I do a minimum of 30 minutes 3.5-4.0 7-8-9-10 incline and started the endurance program for 60 minutes. I am discouraged because I have only dropped 5 pounds. I have the 1200 a day allotment and with the exercise most days have 300-500 calories left over. Very diligent about tracking. I hate to exercise but have done it consistently any advice

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    "only" 5 pounds in a month? I'd say you are doing perfectly. One pound a week is great. As much as we'd all love to instantly drop weight, losing it a bit slower is actually healthier and is easier to maintain.

Would you still say it was "only" 5 pounds if you'd gained it?
  • BreatheAshley
    BreatheAshley Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, but losing 5 pounds in just a month is AMAZING if you ask me.
    I never lost that much in a month so cheer up. You are actually doing great!
  • RhysJ13
    Options
    What? 5 lbs is a month is pretty effin' good.
  • snoopyj1048
    Options
    Good point and your not the first to say the same thing just frustrated :)
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged.
    Eat throughout the day and consume some more calories. You need the energy.
    Eat smaller quantities at each sitting.
    Keep moving and it will (weight) come off.
    Come back in a couple of more months and report out as I bet if you stay after it you'll be losing weight.

Good luck!
  • Will32283
    Will32283 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Lol. I know a lot of people who would be thrilled to lose only 5 pounds in one month.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Good point and your not the first to say the same thing just frustrated :)

What were you expecting?
    With only 25lbs, now 20, to lose you should only expect and aim for 1lb loss/week anyway.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Seriously, "only 5 Lbs".... That's healthy, its a GREAT loss! What were you expecting...20? It doesn't magically come off like that. 5 Lbs in a month is PERFECT!
  • mtnmeister
    mtnmeister Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great job! 5 pounds in a month is a terrific start. I find it's important to feel good about what I've done, and not worry about what I think I should have done. I'd feel great about 5 pounds. Keep it up!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    What you are doing is working. Your weight didn't go on overnight and it won't disappear overnight.
    How many pounds do you want to lose?
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I started using the app again at the beginning of January and for the first time in a long time using the treadmill 6-7 days a week. I do a minimum of 30 minutes 3.5-4.0 7-8-9-10 incline and started the endurance program for 60 minutes. I am discouraged because I have only dropped 5 pounds. I have the 1200 a day allotment and with the exercise most days have 300-500 calories left over. Very diligent about tracking. I hate to exercise but have done it consistently any advice

um_zpsc7ed8f28.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You're doing great.
    It's not a race.
    It didn't get put on that quickly, unfortunately it won't come off that quickly either.
    It happens with hard work and dedication.
    It's about moderation NOT deprivation.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If you are working out that much, you may need to actually eat more. Your body needs fuel. Just like a car can't go far on no gas, neither can your body.

Read this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+sweet+<span class=

And most definitely read this!!!
    http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/#comment-10883
  • RhysJ13
    Options
    I have the 1200 a day allotment and with the exercise most days have 300-500 calories left over. Very diligent about tracking. I hate to exercise but have done it consistently any advice

As for advice: eat more. Sounds counter-intuitive, but if you are only allotting yourself the bare minimum of calories, and then burning ~400 with exercise (we'll call it 200 calories to be conservative, as I don't fully trust MFPs estimates) you simply aren't eating enough.

Healthy eating is about consistency - it's better to have a moderate calorie deficit each day as part of a long-term plan, rather than absolutely smash it for a few weeks and then crash.

If you're honest with yourself, how long did it take you to get what you would consider 'out of shape'? Chances are it's more than a month, so try to be patient as these things go both ways.
  • snoopyj1048
    Options
    Ok now that you have all put it back in perspective! lol
  • crimsonandclovers
    Options
    I've got 35lbs to lose in 6 months and i'd be happy with 5lbs a month! not quite where it needs to be but it'd still be an amazing achievement.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    We all get discouraged. We all wish we could wake up the next day and have lost one or two pounds.... but really - 5lbs in a month is PERFECT!!!! Keep doing what you're doing. Eat those exercise calories - not good for you to NET under 1200cal a day! Drink lots of water and watch the sodium. You'll continue to see the numbers drop. Be patient!!
  • karenswin
    Options
    Advice? Don't just monitor your weight. Take your measurements - waist, hips etc
    5lbs may look like a small number but have you seen what 5 lbs looks like?
    I get motivated by watching my measurements shrink.
  • snoopyj1048
    Options
    Just did that today I feel like my clothes fit better which is good
  • laney4818
    laney4818 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I've lost 1 pound in three weeks. I'd love to lose 5 pounds in a month! I'm more of a 1/2 pound a week person. :-)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    So, you are netting 700 calories?

Eat more. Net 1200.