Afraid to Up my calories..

Options
MFP has me set at 1240, which I stick to, give or take 150cals or so. Been consistent with exercise as well, and still struggling to lose. Many have suggested to up my calorie intake, but I'm afraid to!
I've read many posts about the logic of it all, but I know myself: if I up my calories, then continue to not lose weight, I will beat myself up for eating too much...

Meh...thoughts? similar experiences? what's your story?

Replies

• fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I prefer the BMR/TDEE method. I calculate what I need with this: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
    Try to stick between those 2 numbers, you will lose weight in a healthy way.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I don't know your current weight, or height, fitness goals, or current nutrition or exercise routine, but in general 1240 is an EXTREMELY LOW calorie count, even for attempted weight loss.
    Having a fear of food or "beating yourself up" for eating sounds to me like you may be bordering on an unhealthy mentality. Food is not an enemy, eating is not something to be scared of, or ashamed of. You may want to reassess your relationship with food before attempting to mess around with weight loss.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    YOur diary is closed but I suspect you don't weigh your food.

Anybody can lose weight on 1260 calories a day. If you are not you are doing one of two things...

under estimating intake and/or over estimating calorie burns from exercise.
  • FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I prefer the BMR/TDEE method. I calculate what I need with this: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

This calculator told me the following:
    @ 299lbs, 29 y/o, 5'7, Female
    BMR: 2493
    TDEE: 3758

So what you are saying is I should eat over 2500 calories in a day?
    I wouldn't use this calculator. If you find that you are okay with eating 1240/day (though it sounds like you are sometimes eating up to 1390/day) and you are not hungry, tired, low on energy, etc. I do not see why you should change it. MFP calculator isnt perfect, but it works out pretty well IMO.
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't know your current weight, or height, fitness goals, or current nutrition or exercise routine, but in general 1240 is an EXTREMELY LOW calorie count, even for attempted weight loss.
    Having a fear of food or "beating yourself up" for eating sounds to me like you may be bordering on an unhealthy mentality. Food is not an enemy, eating is not something to be scared of, or ashamed of. You may want to reassess your relationship with food before attempting to mess around with weight loss.

SW: 198
    CW: 189
    Ht: 5'5

- Fitness Goals: Lower Body Fat Percentage (at least 10%), and increase cardiovascular endurance.
    - Exercise: On a good week, I will have 3 intense workouts (i.e. total body or bootcamps. 600-850 cal burn), and 2-4 light/moderate (100-350cal burn).
    - Nutrition: Generally speaking, quality is good, I am currently working on controlling portion size. I minimize processed foods, and try to avoid starches in the late afternoon/evening. I have also reduced alcohol, and increased fiber. Could drink more water for sure.

Your comments regarding my relationship with food are not far off. I grew up in a Latin-type culture obsessed with food, and a mother obsessed with the appearance of being thin. Bad combo. I dont agree, however, that I can't continue to attempt to attain a healthy diet/exercise lifestyle given my mentalities. I enjoy learning about health and nutrition, and my journey to weight loss is constanlty a learning one..just looking for some pointers on how I might mold my own program in order to see results.

Thanks for your comments so far..Hopefully my numbers help!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Based on your weight and what your TDEE will be I am certain you will still lose weight eating at a higher intake.

I am 5'5" and lost weight when I was 135lb by eating 1500 per day, including eating back all exercise calories. It am be scary to change your calories up but the benefits are you have a much more manageable calorie goal, you are far more likely to get adequate nutrients compared with the RDAs, and you will likely have more energy.

I agree with the recommendations to weigh everything anyway, but you will not mess up your weight loss plans by eating 1500 or more a day. Your stats in the fat loss calculator on IIFYM.com for sedentary gives 1512 per day even at the 'reckless' weight loss setting (TDEE -25%). What you are currently eating is far too low,
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

I wouldn't use this calculator. If you find that you are okay with eating 1240/day (though it sounds like you are sometimes eating up to 1390/day) and you are not hungry, tired, low on energy, etc. I do not see why you should change it. MFP calculator isnt perfect, but it works out pretty well IMO.

Your weight is a bit higher, so it doesnt add up that well. But technically you should be able to lose weight eating that number.
  • sabianhunter
    sabianhunter Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I love the TDEE method...

I am 5'9"
    SW: 167
    CW: 152

I usually shoot for a 1600 calorie average and have at least one or two days a week that I go over by 2-300... I started tracking in October, so I don't think 15 lbs in 4 months is too slow. I also get 3 vigorous workouts in a week and if I don't get my calories in on workout day I am very sluggish when it comes time for the gym...

I do think 1240 is very low for you, and with your workout schedule, it might not be a bad idea to increase. Why not increase slowly over a couple of weeks instead of suddenly so that you don't freak out about it?? Maybe by 50cal a day this week and then 50 more next week until you get where the calculators suggest or where your weight loss is optimal??
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I love the TDEE method...

I am 5'9"
    SW: 167
    CW: 152

I usually shoot for a 1600 calorie average and have at least one or two days a week that I go over by 2-300... I started tracking in October, so I don't think 15 lbs in 4 months is too slow. I also get 3 vigorous workouts in a week and if I don't get my calories in on workout day I am very sluggish when it comes time for the gym...

I do think 1240 is very low for you, and with your workout schedule, it might not be a bad idea to increase. Why not increase slowly over a couple of weeks instead of suddenly so that you don't freak out about it?? Maybe by 50cal a day this week and then 50 more next week until you get where the calculators suggest or where your weight loss is optimal??

Yeah, my two numbers RE: TDEE are 2270 and 1815. there is no way I would feel comfortable eating circa 2000cals a day and feel like I am losing...Maybe little by litte, like you are suggesting SabianHunter...
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and was eating 1200 calories for about a year (before MFP and then when I first joined for a bit). I had lost a fair bit of weight and inches in that time. Then I read the forums and thought I'd try upping my calories to 1500. I lost even more weight, and my hips got even smaller and I looked more toned and fit. I was doing a lot of exercise and I think I needed those extra calories for that, and for the strength training to have more of an impact.

I'm pregnant now (30 weeks) and have gradually increased my calories to 2000. I did find that scary!
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi! We currently weigh the same (189ish...I started at 205) and I net between 1200-1400 calories. MFP gave me 1430 calories and I usually try to eat 75-80% of my exercise calories back (I burn between 300-600 cals depending on the workout) so I end up eating about 1700-1900 calories a day and I have been losing steadily. Try upping your calories a little and see if it works :-)