My first elbows tucked pushup woot

Options
It's the first time my entire life I've been able to do one. I'm 258lbs with lean mass of about 175. Yay!? I've been able to pushups with elbows extended for years, but I've always wanted to do this one. I think flat dumbbell presses with elbows in so the weight comes to the bottom of my pectoral region helped.

Anyone recently made any firsts for themselves?

My next goal is a pull up. Can't do a single one yet.

Replies

• PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I can't even do the female pushup :laugh:
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Congrats, OP! I am still working on mastering unmodified pushups.

BEST. TICKER. YET.
  • PolacaFL
    Options
    Thank you :blushing:

I love to see it move! :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    OH congrats!!!! Those are wicked. :)

what's a female push up?

do they have vagina's and boobs?
  • PolacaFL
    Options
    Correction: I can't even do the modified non-stereotypical, knee on the floor version..... :wink:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    When you say "elbows tucked" is this like you do in a yoga sun salutation? If so, that's really cool! I've been practicing yoga for quite a while now and still can't do that every time.

Hooray for non-scale victories!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Correction: I can't even do the modified non-stereotypical, knee on the floor version..... :wink:

werd. <thumbsup>

do you do them on the counter or wall? start there- knee push ups are mostly useless.
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When you say "elbows tucked" is this like you do in a yoga sun salutation? If so, that's really cool! I've been practicing yoga for quite a while now and still can't do that every time.

I have no idea what yoga sun salutation is but it sounds very Zen. Googling... yea except you do the traditional lowering a plank position to the floor and press it back up without arching your hip. I don't think I can do the yoga thing, though, I'm not that flexible.
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Also, thanks for the congrats, everyone.
  • poorbikrchick
    poorbikrchick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Knuckle push ups!!
  • Aliceyogi
    Options
    my goal is a pull up too!! I am getting into rock climbing and I'm surprised at how strong by back is getting and how fast! Keep it up!!!!
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yay you, OP. This is one of my goals, too.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's great.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    It's the first time my entire life I've been able to do one. I'm 258lbs with lean mass of about 175. Yay!? I've been able to pushups with elbows extended for years, but I've always wanted to do this one. I think flat dumbbell presses with elbows in so the weight comes to the bottom of my pectoral region helped.

Anyone recently made any firsts for themselves?

My next goal is a pull up. Can't do a single one yet.

Congratulations now you're doing them correctly. Putting those elbows way out puts extra pressure on your shoulder joint, you could injure yourself.
    http://crossfitdoneright.com/2011/03/07/push-up-and-shoulder-pain/
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

I have no idea what yoga sun salutation is but it sounds very Zen. Googling... yea except you do the traditional lowering a plank position to the floor and press it back up without arching your hip. I don't think I can do the yoga thing, though, I'm not that flexible.
    Cool. I just meant in terms of the elbow positioning. There are lots of possible variations of sun salutation, and one involves lowering yourself down and hovering above the mat in that push-up position, then doing the slight raise of your chest (not the extreme backbend one), lowering down, and then pushing yourself back up into the plank/push-up position again before coming into the downward facing dog (inverted v/ rear up in the air) posture. When my upper back/traps are not too fatigued, I like to practice that one.

You've made remarkable progress with your body. Don't be afraid to try yoga just because you're not super-flexible. That's not what the practice of yoga is really about anyway. :smile:
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I pulled off a couple of one armed pushups the other day. Granted, form might have been a little questionable, but it was one of those spontaneous decisions.
  • PolacaFL
    Options

werd. <thumbsup>

do you do them on the counter or wall? start there- knee push ups are mostly useless.

I don't but thanks for the suggestion! Sounds doable
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!