Looking for Post WLS diet buddies 5 years out or more

Options
I had gastric bypass 10 years ago, got to goal weight for about 5 minutes and over the last 5 years or so have hovered in the 160-180 range. I would really like to get back down to goal and stay there, but that is not an easy task this far out. I still have dietary issues that make dieting the traditional way a little more complicated, so that's why I'm looking for others with similar experiences.

For instance, I have have issues with bowel obstructions. High fiber diets seem to get my intestines in a knot and I've been hospitalized on more than a couple of occasions with obstructions, unable to pass gas, go to the bathroom, or keep anything down at all. So, whatever I have to do must be easy to digest.

I do still dump, but only on certain food concoctions. There seems no rhyme or reason to what or when it will happen. I can eat desserts with no problem, but a bowl of cereal will knock me on my behind. So does a bowl of oatmeal. It's the weirdest thing.

I want to do this right and healthy, so I'm going to be reverting back to some of the good ol pouch rules. Anyone with me?

Replies

• kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Anyone in the same boat?
  • FootballKate1
    FootballKate1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had the lapband about 6 or 7 yrs ago and lost 60 lbs almost immediately and then that was it - all weight loss stopped. I would get the band adjusted but to no avail. I constantly throw up because food gets stuck all the time. The only food that goes down easy and stays down is all the bad stuff - ice cream, candy, mashed potatoes, etc. Insurance will not pay to have it removed. I have gained all but 10 lbs back.

I am trying to lose weight again - I have about 150 I want to take off. I will be glad to help you if you like, even though I did not have gastric bypass.

I am sorry you are having trouble - I wish you success.

Kate
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I'm so sorry you had such a horrid experience with the lapband. I'm in the same boat as far as all the unhealthy foods seem to go down just fine. It's a daily struggle to make good choices, but most of the time I don't. Thank goodness my surgery still leaves me with discomfort if my portion sizes are too big. That's been my saving grace and probably only reason I haven't gained more. Either way I'm back to the basics. I'm following the pouch rules for dummies and going to finally achieve my goals. I wish the same for you!
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had a RNY in 2005 and I went from 279#'s to 155#'s with my surgery. I did what everyone does and just lived life. And I lived it til I got myself back up to 195lbs in June 2012. I have been hitting my diet and exercise ever since June 6th 2012... I derailed a little bit last year; due to recovering from the closing of my business and a break up that caused me to lose sight of everything I had been working for....
    But I am back on track now and I am always looking for accountable people that like to work out and log their food. I have kind of slacked on the logging of my food this past week; but I am usually very accountable.

So if you're looking for someone that knows where you've been... I'm your girl!

Love to have a new friend.
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    This is helping me so much. Thank you ladies.
  • angelmed17
    Options
    I realize no one has posted here in almost a year, but I'm hoping we can reactivate this thread! I had RNY in July 2006 and lost 170 pounds. Nine years, a divorce, a remarriage and a baby later I have regained 40 pounds. I still feel really good about myself and my weight loss, since I can still say I've maintained a 130 pound loss for almost 9 years. HOWEVER, I really want to take off the 40 I've regained and if we're being sassy, maybe another 10.

Like the original poster, I do still dump sometimes (and I'm glad I do!!), but I can never tell what will trigger it. I can eat dessert and be fine and then some random thing on a random day and BOOM I'm shaky and sweating and feeling awful.

I know the "pouch rules". I know I should cut the carbs (and, sadly, the beer) and up my protein. I've just been living life as if I didn't have to pay attention, but the truth is that I will ALWAYS have to pay attention to what I eat and how I move. So, here I am :)
  • ThintasticSpirit
    ThintasticSpirit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If ya'll are still out there I would be eager to connect with others "who have been there" and know how hard it is to maintain weight! I am 10 years out from my RNY on the 19th of this month and I am always looking for folks close to a decade out or more to hook up with for motivation! Its been a long hard journey and I want to shed the pounds I have put on the last few years. :-)

I still dump on occasion with little rhyme or reason too which can be super frustrating. There have been times when I have spent weeks bordering on hyperglycemia and then without any change in diet or activity I go hypoglycemic for a few weeks... even more frustrating. My biggest challenge is that as a result of my surgery I have intussusception so without going in and having a revision I am stuck keeping smooth muscle relaxers in hand all of the time. I never know when an episode will hit (rarely during or after I have eaten) and it is more painful than the delivery of my son.

Aside from those issues, I find myself getting frustrated with my gains and how to keep them off. Its not like I am sitting on my tush. (Well I did a lot of sitting for 2 years while retraining for a new career... but now that I am done I am very active.)

Anyways, I'd love to make those connections! I also use fitbit! http://www.fitbit.com/user/258Q6W

Blessings- Phoenix!
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    I'm still here! This is home. Lots has changed this year. I finally found my trigger foods that were causing attacks. Through elimination I have not been in the hospital for a full year now. Found shakeology, and with that turned my life towards coaching and helping others. The more friends the merrier
  • angelmed17
    Options
    Yay! I'm just seeing these two posts since I'm still getting the hang of this site.

It's nice to be able to connect with people who are in a similar boat. I know that when I see what the site lists as my reccomended daily calories it's kind of scary because I remember early on post op where it was sometimes hard to get to 6 or 800 calories a day. My how life has changed.

I'm interested in getting a Fitbit, ThintasticSpirit can you tell me how you like it?

So glad to meet you both!
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    I now live an active lifestyle and can safely eat around 1400 calories to lose weight at a normal rate. It took me so many years to get my metabolism back to normal though. If I ate even 1,000 I would have gained. I'm grateful for the surgery but there is no denying that the way it has you losing weight is not safe or healthy and has long term ramifications that nobody really tells us about.

• kikkipoo
    Options
    By the way, I just got a fitbit surge this week and absolutely love it. It monitors heart rate all day long whereas the others couldn't really tell if you were running or walking or what intensity you were moving. Its also got bult in GPS, tracks stairs, and definitely has me pushing to get those last few steps or calories in a day to hit my goal. Best purchase by far.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi! I had RNY in 2006. The five day pouch test really helps me to get back on track, following the rules and losing weight. I don't really feel my pouch like the test is supposed to do, but I know I can't eat over 1.5 cups of food. Now, I've been focusing on protein shakes and following the rules so my portion sizes are being limited to a cup or less again. I'd like to have more RNY friends, because people that don't have RNY, don't understand my eating life.