Today at the gym

Options

Replies

• liftsforchocolate
    Options
    When I first started I got tired of this and also having to wait for the free weights and machines from the weight hogs so I started going at around 4am. But if I do happen to postpone it later in the day, I'm comfortable going there now.

They were all newbies too at one point too right?

I actually get more intimidated by women staring than men. Guys usually just try to help, but women get all *****y (from my experiences so far). But try not to let it bother me.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Search out the biggest guy, scream 'COME AT ME BRO', then clock him. Insta-respect.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    99.9% of this is your perception rather than reality OP. It's just like any other environment that you'e new to and/or unfamiliar with...there is a tendency to take our feelings of discomfort and unease and turn that into, "everybody is watching me." It's pretty natural whether you are male of female to experience that discomfort when you are out of your element per sei. As it becomes more familiar to you, those feelings of discomfort will quickly dissipate.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm in the free weights part of the gym I always have earbuds in and the "I'm working. Don't bother me" posture. Works every time.

If nothing else, wave at them like this:

white-and-nerdy-o.gif
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Just do it! There's a lot of good youtube and bodybuilding.com videos you can use to verify your form and then just ignore everyone else and go to town! Lifting is the BEST!
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options

and btw, i know that when someone walks down the stairs to enter the lifting area, i go to see who it is. it's just what people do. if someone walks into a room, you look to see who it is.

Love this and couldn't agree more.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Just go back and lift weights! Think about yourself and the benefits! People honestly don't care about what you're doing! JUST LIFT WEIGHTS!!!!
  • EddieakaDardo
    Options
    Today my girlfriend and I did a small workout session. She really did try. I walked for an hour before we worked out but it was good she worked out. I need more motivation though because I would like to do more. Also to help her.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you have an exact plan of what to do, a notebook to write down your progress and your headphones... you'll look srs. Believe me, I see bros walking around looking like idiots more often than women. I was nervous when I first started and now I pwn the freeweights area ;)
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    You probably just look uncomfortable and lost. If you confidently walked in and started setting weights they wouldn't care, at most talk to you. I don't think they were being sexist or anything so don't be mean, and it's just the vibe they got from you, they can't possibly be in the gym at all times so they can't tell if you are new there or not.

No. All the no in the world. She's allowed to look uncomfortable and lost. Most of them men in there are uncomfortable and lost. Most of the men who women think are staring at them are staring at pretty much anyone just to see if they can learn something. Everyone really needs to get over this remedial idea that simply by virtue of having a penis someone is an expert on weight training, and that the lack of said penis means you are clueless. This mindset not only prevents women from doing things that are pretty awesome for their bodies, but it causes a lot of men to start training, have zero progress or injure themselves, and then give up because they are too ashamed to ask for help. Half of the smartest lifters I've ever met were women. I've learned just as much over the years from women as I have from men. All of this nonsense from both sides needs to stop. It's a ****ing gym for crying out loud. It's good for everyone. Everyone belongs there. Unless you are using the squat rack when I want to use it. Then I don't care if you are a man or a woman, you need to go play on an elliptical now.

You sir are my new favorite person.

And for the new girl in the weight room- welcome sister. It doesn't change dudes stare. Today they stare because they don't recognize you, tomorrow they stare to see if they can see through your yoga pants and 6 months from now they will stare because "Holy *kitten*! Did she just lift that? For reps?". Just go. Do it. Lift.

I am no stranger to the free weights. I practically live there and yesterday there were a couple new yayhoos working on their curls when I went in to kill a lower body sesh. I noticed some stares and comments as I warmed up with the bar. And then when I had the bar fully loaded (for me it was 2 wheels on each side, so 225#) they both stopped what they were doing to walk over and watch me put that up for 8. Maybe they were expecting me to drop it and wanted to be close to the mayhem but they both offered high fives after I racked it.
  • sperlifts
    Options
    You belong there! Just have your notebook, head phones in and game face on. No one ever bothers me (except this annoying personal trainer) but i have chronic b!#ch face, so i think that may be why. :laugh:
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It really is intimidating when you cross to that side of the gym. I always have a plan and wearing headphones helps get me in the zone and ignore everyone else.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Sarah, I asked the PT that showed me around but he told me that 'girls don't lift' and I should use the treadmill. I'll scope out another PT who looks like they know what they're talking about..

Thanks for your replies!

Go upto one of the guys and say, I am interested in using this or that, can you show me how with out getting hurt..
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Sarah, I asked the PT that showed me around but he told me that 'girls don't lift' and I should use the treadmill. I'll scope out another PT who looks like they know what they're talking about..

Thanks for your replies!

That's messed up and wronger than wrong!
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, I recommend downloading an exercise app. I have Gym Pocket Pro and I used it for a month or so until I found an experienced workout buddy. It really helps!

Women should NOT be afraid of the weight section of the gym. Most men will leave you alone while you lift weights. They understand that you need to get your workout on as much as they do.

And that PT that told you girls don't lift is an idiot. He should have his license revoked.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience. I actually avoided the free weights because it looked like such a boys club. I sucked it up and blasted my music and never looked around. Now guys actually make space for me and speak to me. You have to prove that you deserve to be there just as much as they do. Don't let them intimidate you. Strong is the new skinny :-)
  • walkingDeadDenise
    Options
    if it makes you feel better, i fell right on my butt in front of everyone my last workout. i had not eaten enough food, no carbs, and got dizzy and fell. I was with my trainer and it was SO embarrassing. She said she's seen people vomit and pass out before. Don't feel intimidated...doesn't matter what anyone thinks...
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I think many of us have been there. Just nod at the lookers, go straight to your piece of equipment, and work out :) If you are thinking about what they are thinking, feel free to assume that they think it's awesome that you're here, doing what you're doing. You can pretend they are all cheering you on!

Just go and get to it. You can do this!! Head high and walk in like you own the place!:flowerforyou:
  • freshstart14
    freshstart14 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I joined my gym they didn't even SHOW me the weight room during the walk through, the guy actually said "let me show you the rooms the girls use."

I was just like you for so long, and I walked out once or twice too. The best thing I did was go at a sort of off time (not 3am though!) when I knew I'd have some space. It still frustrates me to be one of the only girls in the room, and it's so odd that guys stop and watch. But I quickly realized that a lot of the guys are actually doing things incorrectly, and now I actually am motivated by using heavier weights and better form.

Remember.. you pay the same membership fee, they don't own the room!
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel comfortable enough to brazen it out....pull out the helpless card and ask one of the guys who's staring if they can help you out because you're starting this new programme