Okay, so I joined a gym… now what???

Options
Hello all -- relatively new to MFP, and even newer to the gym!
I've been going 3-4 times per week since i joined January 24th, so I'm thinking it's going to "stick."

But I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed. There's all those machines, free weights and such. What should a girl like me do? I started just doing the "circuit" of machines with a weight that I was slightly challenged on, but I could still complete two sets of 10. I do about 20 minutes of walking on speed 3 on the treadmill, with a 2% incline. I tried the elliptical but I felt like a fool because I just couldn't get the rhythm down.

I looked into hiring a personal trainer - but at $80 a hour, that might be too steep. Can anyone suggest some websites where I can possibly craft a routine/workout for myself? I just need to know that what i'm doing is the best use of my time in the gym!

Ann

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what are your fitness goals?
    what do you like doing?
  • sandhusaab16
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com is what i use
  • AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of workout apps that will create programs for you, like Nike Training. It basically walks you through exactly what you need to do and for how long. Jillian Michaels also has an app and website that provides strength training circuits. There also books that have strength training programs.
  • JessicaDumont2
    JessicaDumont2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My husband and I use a app called JEFIT. Its amazing. They have programs you can do, it tells you which machines to do, how many reps and it keeps track. you can pick almost any kind of workout you want. :)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    doing a session with a friend and the trainer reduces the cost-pay for on eand then you have a custom program.
  • kareit
    kareit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1-2 personal training sessions *might* be worth it go get you started. I tried it several years ago when I joined a gym for the very first time & it was really beneficial. They helped me figure out what to do when I'm at the gym and taught me how to use so many of the machines/weights there. I partnered with my mom for the sessions, so it brought down the cost for both of us.

Does you gym offer group classes? I really like those as well. I find it easier to be motivated in a group environment, it's usually a fun workout, and can be a fun way to meet new workout buddies.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Check in with the front desk and ask for an orientation. The gym should be willing to tour you through the facility and show you the proper way to use machines and what their purpose is i.e triceps, abs, legs, etc. My gym does this as a courtesy service so before you dole out the big bucks on a personal training session, though some gyms give discounts for first timers, anyway go speak with the desk they are the best equipped to help you :smile:
  • jpowers416
    jpowers416 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded the JEFIT app. It looks great!!
  • mad_lifting_runner
    Options
    It really just depends on your goals. The gym is a swiss army knife...only when you know what the goal is do you know what tool to use.

Hiring a trainer can help, yes, but honestly I've found about 1000% better advice over at bodybuilding.com or at scooby's site than I ever did from working with a trainer.
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ever thought about getting New Rules of Lifting for Women?

But then again - it really does depend what your goals are...
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My gym (Worlds Gym) has a layout according to circuits as well as free weights.
    Circuits A-D with a series of machines in each circuit.
    For beginners, I recommend starting with the circuits. One circuit per day, 3 sets of ten on each machine at a challenging level (not impossible)
    Also, a lot of new memberships come with a free trainer session or a couple sessions.
    They will set up a basic routine for you then as well, based on your body and your goals.
    If that isn't the case, it may be worth paying for one session to get this straightened out.

All the apps listed above are good, but can add to the confusion as well.
    If you don't know what a work out or exercise is, check youtube.
    Don't hesitate to ask someone at the gym either, since you want to be safe and have correct form as well as use the equipment correctly.

For a better work out I do recommend adding free weights over time as it challenges more muscles, coordination and balance at the same time. Im not an expert, this is just my opinion!
  • sbbigj
    sbbigj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP too and I too recently joined a health club. My goals may be different from yours as I am 65 years old and badly over-weight. The bottom line is that you have to do something and keep at it and as your body gets better able to handle the exercise and you drop a little weight you won't believe what you can do! Just don't push too hard or have unrealistic expectations as those will kill your spirit and motivation.

At the gym do the things that you like. For me it was swimming. I was a non swimmer until I was 53 when I fulfilled a life long dream to become a scuba diver. It never occurred to me that I'd have to know how to swim to qualify for the training. After learning to swim I found that I love it and it is my favorite indoor exercise. I can't stand to use stationary machines so as an alternate exercise to swimming I walk on the track at the gym.

I started out at 304 pounds but almost three years of health issues kept me from doing the things I wanted to do and I gained a lot of weight. Now, with some of the health issues behind me and five months after deciding to make my lifestyle change I am 272 and well on my way to my goal weight of 225. By summer I may actually fit into my wetsuit and will consider returning to diving.

My goal is to lose 2 pounds a week and to achieve that I am logging all my food on MFP and I've committed to 60 minutes of exercise a day (30 minutes of swimming and then 30 minutes of walking) at least 5 times a week. So far it's working.
  • TXCruiseGal
    TXCruiseGal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You are doing so awesome!

I did check with my gym and they offered a free "health assessment" which meant they weighed me, told me my bodyfat (obese - duh) and told me that I could reach my weight goals by reducing my bodyfat (again, duh). But unfortunately, that was the extent of it. They have called me multiple times asking me to sign up for som personal training sessions, but that's really out of my price range. Unfortunately I'm a solo gym goer -- meaning my circle of friends either belong to other gyms or just don't work out.

I'm definitely not going to let this derail me though! I'm going to look into some of those apps and websites you guys mentioned. I see people at the gym all the time following routines on their IPads and even on pieces of paper. I'm going to give it a whirl!

Ann
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

I did check with my gym and they offered a free "health assessment" which meant they weighed me, told me my bodyfat (obese - duh) and told me that I could reach my weight goals by reducing my bodyfat (again, duh). But unfortunately, that was the extent of it. They have called me multiple times asking me to sign up for som personal training sessions, but that's really out of my price range. Unfortunately I'm a solo gym goer -- meaning my circle of friends either belong to other gyms or just don't work out.

I'm definitely not going to let this derail me though! I'm going to look into some of those apps and websites you guys mentioned. I see people at the gym all the time following routines on their IPads and even on pieces of paper. I'm going to give it a whirl!

Ann

Doing something is better than doing nothing!
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Ann

That's too bad. They should really show you around the facility and make sure you are comfortable using the equipment maybe you should speak to the gym manager because making sure you are happy (and safe while using their equipment) should be in their priorities. Anyway in that case I'm inclined to agree with mjfer and do the circuits. Also I find a lot of my exorcises on Pinterest.
  • hillarayray
    Options
    I feel you! I want to join the new Planet Fitness that is opening up near me soon....but I never know what to do, and for how long to do it. Getting started is always my biggest challenge!

I wish you luck and hope you get a routine down! :)
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Yea, some gyms kind of just give you a basic "interview" rather than helping.
    Are there many gyms in the same price range near by? Maybe consult another one??
    I use my smartphone. I load my work out for the week on to it in a spreadsheet and carry that with me.