So discouraged.. please help!

Options
In december i started a new job, and am sitting at a desk most of the day. I know this has made my lifestyle a lot less active compared to before, but i have tried everything I can think of to counter that, and lose weight. I'm religious about logging what i eat, and I am usually pretty darn close to the recommended % fat/carbs/protein each day. I also wear a fitbit to track steps and activity to correct calories, and a heart rate monitor every time i work out to more accurately log that. I usually aim for about 1500-1700 calories before exercise, so that it nets to about 1200-1300 each day. I have been working out 6 days a week for just over 5 weeks, and burn an average of 400-500 calories each day that way. However, in the past 2.5 months since I started my new job i have hardly lost ANYTHING and my clothes don't look any better to me. I gained a bit over the fall due to a lot of stress of college finals and job searching, and that definitely lead to some poor eating. However with how careful i've been i would think i would have lost something. It feels like i have an extra calorie and the scale jumps 4 lbs the next day (no joke, i was slightly over calories the other day and the next morning the scale weighed in 4lbs higher than the day before...). Can anyone think of something to try? I know it's slow going (1-2lbs per week is healthy), but i should be 10-16lbs less since i started my new job and got back to being strict on my diet. I feel like i've been doing everything right, but why is nothing working???

Other things:
* i drink plenty of water every day. (I log that with the fitbit app so i'm honest there too)
* I track food and drinks, and use a kitchen scale/ measuring cups etc. to be as accurate as possible
* I'm 24 so i should still have a solid metabolism so age isn't a huge factor.
* i usually get at least 6.5 hours of sleep (although i know that isn't enough), but most nights i get 7.5-8 - pretty religious on when i go to bed bc i know that matters a lot for stress levels
* i take daily vitamins to make sure i'm getting enough in my diet
* if i cheat and eat something yummy, i still log it and portion size it so it isn't an entire pot of anything.
* Oh also, i've been trying to eat small meals every few hours. I stick to protein, fruits, and veggies for snack. Then some sort of slightly bigger meal (400 calories at most) for lunch and dinner.
* i've even been forcing breakfast which i just hate eating in the mornings.

I can't think of anything else , but i'm feeling so discouraged. Not how i wanted to start my new job and life after college. Can anyone think of something that might help?

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    honestly without knowing how much you weigh right now it sounds like you are doing everything right. Are you limiting sodium too? Maybe you aren't eating enough sometimes ? Have you adjusted your daily routine to sedentary? Have you taken measurements? All that exercise could be muscles gaining too. Just stick with it.. don't give up. Everything you are doing is the road to being healthy. You are defined by way more than the number on the scale. Sometimes holding onto body weight is your body's only natural defense to stress and lack of sleep. Try switching up your exercise routines. THis might help. I am at a stand still with my weight loss right now too. Just keep at it.
  • slaUSA
    slaUSA Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My sister was sitting at a desk all day--but now she is standing at her computer and is much happier--and losing weifght. I know this depends on where you work--but her employer actually set up the standing station for her.
    Also, as mentioned in the previous post--it is important to get enough regular sleep. Drink lots of water--no pop. Remember that processed sugar is inflammatory to your system.
    Eat green--you will get lean!
  • rylinn212
    Options
    Is by any chance your new job stressful? Stress plays a major factor in how and when we lose weight. If your body feels emotional and mentally in survival mode than that may be a reason why you are not losing.

Also, it really depends not only on how many calories you eat, but how those calories are made up. Are you eating fruit, grains, protein, and healthy dairy for breakfast? Are you having a balanced lunch with veggies, protein, and grains? How's dinner looking? Are you snacking after you have dinner too close to bedtime? These are ALL things you might look at. Just some suggestions :) Good Luck :)
  • smithla009
    Options
    Thank you for responding. I haven't been keeping track of sodium as carefully, but with howuch water I log every day I thought it wouldn't be the major factor. Is that not true? I'm currently doing the p90x routine so I'm switching up work outs often. I also just ordered another workout set so I can really mix it up and stay motivated. This morning I weighed in at 167. So I definitely have some extra to lose. I know it's harder the less you weigh, but I'm still in a decent zone to drop steadily from what I have read online. I just can't figure it out. Some days I'm so good and gain weight. Last night I indulged while feeling blue about the lack of change and I dropped down a lbs. (still not back to starting from when I jumped up 4lbs :-() and that doesn't make sense either! It's so frustrating to not know what works and what doesn't. Thank you again for responding it helps a lot to have some encouragement from others! Back to being good today!
  • smithla009
    Options
    Also the standing idea is something I hadn't thought about. Thank you for suggesting that, I am going to talk to my work and see if that is possible!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is your issue, but I can't work a desk job and lose weight. I'm only about 25 lbs overweight, and the more weight you have the lose the faster/easier it'll come off at first. If you're working a desk job, you need to get up every hour your sitting and walk around, go up and down the stairs in the office, SOMETHING because simply sitting will destroy your metabolism.

There are many articles and scientific studies done about this, I'll link you this and you can do some searching on your own: http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/25/health/la-he-dont-sit-20130525

It's truly unfortunate that most jobs our society deems "successful" are sitting jobs, and are ruining our health. Humans have never been meant or made to sit for 8-10 hours in a day. It's simply not healthy.
  • nbe2013
    nbe2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am just like you. I am eating right doing everything right and just doing well!! Much better then before! But then the scales disagree. So I said forget this!

I now weigh every Monday morning. I found weighing myself once a week made me feel better, because water weight counts!!!!!!! To lose weight safely expect one lb per week, 2lbs/wk is safe to, but I wouldn't recommend it ( just my preference, nothing against those who do.). So if you pick a day to weigh in and you've lost just one little pound then GREAT JOB!! It's one pound less, and after all you can only take it one pound at a time. Kind of like life, one day at a time. And remember if you're making healthier choices you are already helping yourself so much, no matter what the scales say.

Also don't worry to much about the number. It's just a number, it's all about how you look and feel!

If you could stretch at work that would help your body feel like it's doing something. Doing your workouts are great, and yay for you, but remember your metabolism runs all the time, so doing something to tell it 'hey I'm still thinking of you' will help.

I hope this helps!!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You're either eating more than you think and not being honest with your calorie counting, or thinking you burn far more than you do so eating too many calories that way or your calculations are off about what you need to eat to lose weight. It's basic Maths when it comes down to it if you're not giving yourself a deficit you wont lose weight if you do you will
  • kaywiegert
    Options
    Hello there :smile: One thing I have learned throughout the years is not not listen to the scale haha. You are doing so wonderfully in keeping track on everything you eat and being very honest to yourself. After having my baby and finally given the green light to work out again I have learned that I need to do a lot more yoga and pilates along with my cardio. Yoga is amazing for helping with stress. If your not able to stand at your work place also ask if you can use a medicine ball instead of a chair. It will help with your balance and keep your abdominals more engaged throughout the work day :smile: :smile: Like someone already mentioned before you could be building up your muscles which in return will help you lose more weight in the long run. Another thing you may want to ask yourself is how your endurance level is compared to when you first started to work out. Also remember that eating healthy and keeping up on physical activity is not only to help you lose the weight in the short run, but to be a lifestyle that you continue throughout your life. Keep up the good work!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You're either eating more than you think and not being honest with your calorie counting, or thinking you burn far more than you do so eating too many calories that way or your calculations are off about what you need to eat to lose weight. It's basic Maths when it comes down to it if you're not giving yourself a deficit you wont lose weight if you do you will

This! Are you weighing your food with a digital scale? Can't see your diary so can't give specifics but if you aren't losing your numbers are off and you aren't in a deficit.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Do I have the timeline right? You've lost 7 pounds in 5 weeks? or is it 7 pounds in 2.5 months of the diet you described?

If that's just in the past 5 weeks, I don't know your size and stuff, but I think your calculations & estimate burn are probably just slightly off -- but CLOSE! so don't give up hope.

The good news is, if all of this is accurate, now you have an awesome amount of data to move forward with. For instance, walk during your lunch and your calorie deficit will be 850 calories or so per day. That would mean in the next 5 weeks you'll lose 8.5 pounds if you don't really change anything else. Add another walk after dinner, and your deficit will be 1000 per day. That would mean you'll lose 10 pounds in 5 weeks.
  • smithla009
    Options
    Sadly the 7.5 lbs loss has been over quite a few months. I put in my highest weight so i could eventually see how far i've come. I thought it might be more encouraging than seeing a 1lbs loss... To the other question, yes i weigh everything i eat, scan anything with barcodes to get accurate nutrition information, and measure everything else to get as close as possible. I will see if i can also swap out my chair for a balance ball, that's a great idea.

I just got a new heart rate monitor a couple of weeks ago, so the calories for exercise should be pretty accurate. I usually round down also (say it reads 425, so i count 400). I've thought about all of these things also, so i'm just not sure what is off. I don't think i could be any more diligent on calorie counting, and working out. I do feel like i'm stronger while working out than when i started. So I do know something is happening. It just seems like the desk job is killing any hope of making significant changes, even in the long run.

My current plan is try to up protein, and make that daily % larger than the recommended 20 % and cut down carbs and fat. Do you think this would be a good plan? I am starting a new set of the p90x (phase 2) so hopefully changing up the workouts will help ::fingers crossed::. Like a few have said, i feel like i'm doing most everything correctly and just can't figure out where the disconnect is.

When you have hit a plateau have you noticed anything in particular that really nudged you to the other side? I did a few of the calculations online about BMR and such, and it looks like to maintain i'm supposed to eat about 1800 calories per day (including calories burned while working out) when i calculated as lightly active (i figured working out 6 days a week and sitting at a desk kind of evened out to less than active). However, i feel like if i ate that much each day i would gain significant amounts of weight! A lot of other forums said people are not eating enough. That seems kind of crazy, but could that really be a possibility?

Thank you all again for replying, it is encouraging just hearing from you all!