1200 Calories! How do you do it!

Options
124»

Replies

• mkhowa
    mkhowa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 (5'0 and about 117 right now). I exercise probably about 5-6 days/week, and almost always eat all my exercise calories back. It's been working for the last three months' I've been losing at a pretty slow rate, about .5 lb/week, but I've been happy with that. This month I've hit a total plateau though and have gained a bit even. I have worked out with a bit less intensity (had a hip injury for over a year and am reintroducing running, so taking everything really easy so as to not re-injure myself) and eaten a little less strictly, but nothing that should have stopped my loss so completely. I'm a bit confused over where to go next to try and restart the loss. Any advice would be great.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    that is my recommended calories but I end up eating more due to exercise. I honestly cant feel full if I skip exercise and can only eat 1200.
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a problem with 1200 calories. And, I am not a liar. It depends on eating the right food. oatmeal, greek yogurt, almonds, stuff that nourishes you and keeps you full, making sure your fiber is high enough.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I ate 1550 mostly sedentary aside from 3x a week weight training and lost 1.5 lbs a week. I eat around 1800 net now and lose about .5 lbs a week. You're body needs x amount of calories, with varied nutrients and just because you can get those macros with low calories doesn't make it better than someone who eats more. Calories are a unit of energy. While I understand the premise of eating nutrient dense foods, do yourself a favor and make sure it's enough for you to perform in day to day life and give your all in exercise.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You can't expect to feel full eating processed fast food.
  • fuzzymop55
    fuzzymop55 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says they are getting along fine eating 1200 cals a day and weighs over 120lbs is a liar and should not be trusted.

This is kinda rude. If I eat 1,200 a day, I do not lose weight. There comes a point where unless you create a deficit for yourself OR eat 1,200 and burn those calories to net less than 1,200 like me it's just not gona happen. My BMR is 1,205 I think around that number and I'm 5'2". I went from 186lbs to as of today weighing in at 113.9. My goal is 20% BF and I'm lingering on 22.3% currently. So if you check out my log you can see that I'm not hitting the gym, but have created a deficit under 1,200 calories. It's possible I drink water constantly through out the day.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people saying that 1200 calories is too low, but that's what MFP set my target at. FWIW, I'm 5'7 and currently weigh 152, looking to get down to 135. I am basically sedentary (desk job) and have started trying to exercise 3 times a week.

Before starting this program, I probably ate 3-4,000 calories a day and hadn't exercised in years. I'm on week 5 of eating healthy (with a few slip-ups) and exercising, and I've maybe lost 1-2 pounds and no inches. I'm certainly not going to try to lower my calorie intake any further though - I'm grumpy enough already!

I found MFP can set too low. When I started it set a target of 1350 (I am 5'6", and was 40 and 303lbs). This worked for a while as long as I at exercise cals back but then I plateaued. When I did some reading around I found that MFP had set a target way under my BMR (even now nearly 100lbs lighter my BMR is 1680). I calculated my TDEE and now eat around 800 cals a day under that. I am losing on average 1.5lbs a week eating 1900cals a day and am not hungry, can have chocolate and/or beer as well as lots of lan meat and plenty of veg.
  • lovrhrsgirl
    Options
    how good is that green smoothie? =)
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    My BMR is already 1800, I eat 1200 before lunch. I would starve on that, I'm maintaining (and losing bodyfat) on 2500-2700
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    But so many people here do and seem to get along fine :/
    I did it for a while, but at the time I was running A LOT, which gave me tons of extra calories and suppressed my appetite. Now I'm focusing on strength and I couldn't do it anymore.
  • mariskaS86
    Options
    Limited carbs and fat, lean proteins and tons of fresh fruit and veggies and water...
  • catbender
    Options
    I eat roughly 1200 calories a day, along with ~60 minutes of exercise, minimum. I'm 5'2 with a small frame so this amount feels right for me. I'm on a primarily macro-diet, meaning a lot of fiber, veggies, nuts, and good fats, which allows me to eat in larger quantities. As a long-term habit, I tend to distribute my largest calorie intake during breakfast, then gradually snack my way through lunch and occasionally dinner. Lots of water and teas also keeps me satisfied!

When I don't do exercise however, 1200 cal/day makes me feel washed out. I don't recommend my diet to people with a different body type and work life. Tailor your intake to what makes your body feel good and strong.

P.S. In all honesty, I don't care too much about calorie counting. People go nuts over numbers, to the point they forsake the experience of loving to eat food. I believe much more in proportion, timing, and nutritional value.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i eat almost 1200 in the evening…so I have no idea how one can live on 1200 a day..

OP - if you are hungry and feel like you are starting yourself then bump up to 1300….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Limited carbs and fat, lean proteins and tons of fresh fruit and veggies and water...

sounds boring and like a recipe for binging...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Anyone who says they are getting along fine eating 1200 cals a day and weighs over 120lbs is a liar and should not be trusted.

And I'll add to that list, anyone over 120 pounds and says "HALP! I'm so full, I can't eat all my 1200 calories!" Cry me a f*cking river and eat some ice cream.

Mmmmmm ice cream :love:

just had talenti belgium chocolate..sooooo gooooood
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options

And I'll add to that list, anyone over 120 pounds and says "HALP! I'm so full, I can't eat all my 1200 calories!" Cry me a f*cking river and eat some ice cream.

Mmmmmm ice cream :love:

just had talenti belgium chocolate..sooooo gooooood

:frown: I'm jealous...I'm on a 1200 calorie meal plan and ice cream rarely fit in my diet, especially if I want to feel full.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options

That's not true. I am not purposefully trying to eat under 1200 or not eat back my exercise calories but some days I don't. And I am quite suprised some days.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/kjarvo?date=2014-02-11 1173
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/kjarvo?date=2014-02-05 1191
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/kjarvo?date=2014-02-04 1178
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/kjarvo?date=2014-02-09 1203 (3 meals)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/kjarvo?date=2014-02-01 1214 (3 meals)

Some days I don't have breakfast, but I am not doing much at the moment, just my uni dissertation so I think that is probably why I am not eating much. It might go to 1400 a day once I eat breakfast regularly once I start going to uni most days.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    They can't. And you shouldn't.

:drinker: