How many steps make a mile?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ulfgard
    Ulfgard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It all depends on a persons stride, and the terrain that is being walked on. It can vary a great deal.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I am only 5 ft tall and according to my fitbit 2000 steps is near enough 1 mile. So 10,000 steps would be 5 miles.

Did you put your stride length into the Fitbit website or are you using the default settings? I'm 5'6" and I have measured mine and for me walking its 2185 steps in a mile (Running its 1810 steps). I'd be surprised if at 6" shorter than me your walking stride was 3" more than mine as 2000 steps in a mile is a stride of 2ft 8" approx (63360" in a mile, 2000 steps means 63360/2000 = 31.7" = 2ft 7.7")
  • nonnie35750
    nonnie35750 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how a step counter works on a phone? What is the app called?

The best app I have found for a pedometer is Runtastic Pro. It's very accurate; only cost .99 or a 1.99 (can't remember). But it also syncs with MFP. I use it all the time.
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    5' 3" - 2,200 steps = 1 mile approximately I aim for 10,000 steps a day and usually end up around 4-4.5 miles. I have a fitbit that tells me both steps and miles, which is really nice.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Can you get a distance app?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Depends on the length of your stride.
  • therealjp
    therealjp Posts: 1
    Options
    Galaxy S4 has a built I pedometer in the S Health app and with no setup at all it is quite accurate. I use the app called map my walk which gives you distance and shows your route on a map. A 4.64 mile walk on map my walk shows up as 4.7 on s health continually. I've set up nothing special on either app and they both manage to get very similar results. Including up and down hills, running vs walking and speed vs elevation.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Galaxy S4 has a built I pedometer in the S Health app and with no setup at all it is quite accurate. I use the app called map my walk which gives you distance and shows your route on a map. A 4.64 mile walk on map my walk shows up as 4.7 on s health continually. I've set up nothing special on either app and they both manage to get very similar results. Including up and down hills, running vs walking and speed vs elevation.

All that means is that your stride length is close to the program's default information.

A 24" stride length requires over 2600 steps for a mile ... 30" stride means 2112 steps for a mile ... 34" stride is 1864 steps ...
  • misty4me2
    Options
    I use "Runkeeper" on my samsung galaxy 3. It syncs with My Fitness Pal and gives you extra calories for the day depending on how far you go each day. It is free and easy to work. You do not have to "run". It gives you a variety of choices of activities from skiing to skating to walking, hiking,cycling, even swimming. Although I don't know how you could use it swimming unless your phone is waterproof. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with!