Is my trainer right about this 40-40-20 plan?

Options
I met with a trainer today and he gave me the advice to start eating this 40-40-20 plan and increase my calories to 2400 a day in addition to my 3-4 times a week workouts. That seems like way too much. I have lost 50 pounds in the last year but have been stalled for the last two months. He says that I should lose 1.5-2.0 pounds per week with this program, but I haven't been losing anything eating 900 calories less than that. Am I worrying for nothing? My biggest concern is not not losing weight, but gaining weight by eating so much more. He says it has something to do with the formula of 40-40-20.Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    2400 might be a bit high, but then again, I don't know your workout regimen. I'm a 30 year old male, and I'm cutting on 2400 currently with a solid amount of exercise 5 days a week. No harm in trying it I suppose, out of curiosity, have you figured out your TDEE?

Rigger
  • dpeinsipp
    Options
    I'm fairly new at this. I've done it all alone and at home up until this point. I have no idea what a TDEE is. Can you explain?
  • RBhyan
    RBhyan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    TDEE is your Total Daily Expenditure Energy calculator . Check it out here : http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    I suspect that if the trainer said that 40/40/20 had some magical properties, you should monitor your calories closely. 2400 for a 1.5-2.0 lb weight loss a week would mean that the trainer believes your TDEE is 3000-3500 calories......to me that's pretty suspect considering your gender.
  • watermelonsugar_
    Options
    Is 40-40-20 the macro nutrient ratio?
  • dpeinsipp
    Options
    40-40-20 is 40% daily calories from carbs, 40% from protein and 20% from fat. Other than that I do not know. Like I said I am really new to this. For the last year or so I've lost 50 pounds using MFP and my treadmill.
  • dpeinsipp
    Options
    I just used the above mentioned website to calculate my TDEE and it said 2291. Does that mean that is what I need to maintain my current weight and subtract from there to lose?
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I tried that ratio starting out and couldn't do it. I could not hit the calories while staying close to 20% fat, always went over. Had to up it to 25%.