How to keep going?????

Options
I have had some negative from my husband who thinks that I have become obsessed with counting calories and such. I have attempted to explain that the site I am using is set up for that.... How did some of you all overcome, people thinking you were crazy for counting everything?

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Well, counting calories of food eaten and exercise expended has been VERY EFFECTIVE for losing weight for many people on this site including myself. It's an education process. My first few days/weeks of logging (in July 2011) were a real eye-opener. No wonder I was overweight...I was eating way to many empty (junk food) calories.

Calories are squirrley little buggers! Many people have no idea what's considered a portion size and underestimate the number of calories they are consuming. I think eye-balling and guessing on food intake and exercise are poor strategies for weight loss success.

It took me a year to lose almost 50 pounds and I've maintained my weight for 10 months now. Is calorie counting tedious? A little, but MFP makes it much easier. Is calorie counting essential? In my opinion, YES!
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My husband has said the same thing to me. You are doing this for yourself, not him or anybody else. If this works for you and helps get you healthy, who cares what other people think.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I ignore them. I tend not to talk about it with people and just do my calorie counting thing.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Just tell others that you want to get healthier, this is how you have chosen to get healthier, you know many others have found their good health by counting calories, and that your loved one's support will only help you achieve that good health.
  • 91lowharley
    91lowharley Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. It has HELPED ME TREMENDOUSLY!! It definitely is an eye opener because when I started using MFP - YUCKS!!! I really don't care what people say and my husband just rolls his eyes.
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My husband is supportive but alot of other firends and family just don't get it. They seem to think Im silly not wanting to waste all my calories on alcohol or junk. But then they are amazed im lost what I have so far. Well newsflash, thats all part of it. In ways I feel like ive become a hermit at home. Its easier to stick to my plans when i don't have the pressure of others who don't understand.
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks it is awesome and supports me 100%. Who cares what they all think anyway, it is YOUR life and YOUR body. You choose what goes into it and how you will treat it. However, the support of your loved ones is a good thing to have. They should be giving it to you unconditionally!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I get this from my partner too. I do his head in talking about calories, losing weight, exercise and what MFPals are up to. I'm not very good at it but I think the best way to deal with it is just talking less about weight loss and the changes you're trying to make. My partner knows I'm happier now I'm trying to get healthy so he doesn't want me to stop but he wants me to be able to step away from the obsession I've developed and spend some time on him.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My step son was counting everything and him being Italian it was very troublesome for them to understand. he always got flack for doing it. He would just tell people that they would see a difference and this is what he wanted to do . He was a bit chubby but after a couple months, he slimmed right down and none of the younger people anything. (the older ones wanted to fatten him up again :laugh: )

Give it some time and let them see what you look like. It does for me anyways become an obsession. I want what is best for me and peoples option don't fit in my range of what I need to listen too. I need to listen to my body.
  • juniperleaves
    Options
    Just realize that you're doing this for yourself and not for someone else! Your husband is probably just worried because it is easy to become obsessed when counting calories, but as long as you're eating enough and have a positive view of it (i.e. you don't try to punish yourself if you eat too much, miss a work out, eat "bad" food, etc), then you're fine!

Also, there are plenty of people on this site (like myself!) to motivate you, even if no one in "real life" is. :)
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've been with MFP for five months and lost good amounts of weight. The success is due to the religious and obsessive counting of calories.
    Until I learn, my brain learns and my body learns what is a sufficient amount of food, I will continue to count calories. It also makes me accountable to my MFP friends who would tell me off in no uncertain terms if I was straying from the "holy path".
    If your husband is so critical, I would stop telling him. Just log when you are on your own, but
    I would wonder why he is not supporting you wholly - you are doing this for your health. Right?
    You are on the right path. Go for it and dont worry. We are all calorie nuts here!!
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Pretty much in line with what others think. Its more than just counting calories. Seeing in black & white what you are eating also helps make better decisions and figuring out what affects you how (ie too much sodium or sugar). This isnt just about counting calories, its about a life style change and its for you. My husband and my daughters are very supportive but sometimes they wonder about it - but they also realize I'm doing this for me and in the long run it helps them as well
  • juniperleaves
    Options
    As another side note, I tend not to talk to anyone in my life about it (except for my boyfriend) because I don't really want to hear what other people think. I just want to do what I know is good for me and move on with my life. People are judgemental by nature, and I just don't want to deal with it.

Plus everyone thinks they know exactly what YOU need to do to lose weight and it's just irritating to have fifty different people giving me advice like they know better than I do. It also makes me feel guilty about what I eat if people know I'm counting or trying to lose weight, because I'm sure they're thinking, "Why is she eating pizza? I thought she was on a diet."

Not a diet, people! Just a healthy life!
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” -Mark Twain
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I ignore them. I tend not to talk about it with people and just do my calorie counting thing.

This!! You'll find a lot of people are not as excited as you are about counting calories and and your fitness routine in general. I just don't talk about it.
  • Thank you all
  • Thank you all for you responses, I fell off the bandwagon... smh... I started working 12 hr shift and 2 jobs.. rarely finding the time nor energy... then went with the landslide... here I go again :(
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You can just hop right back on the bandwagon. But you should really have a talk with your husband, and let him know that he can help you become healthier by supporting you and not judging you. Tell him you have to log everything so your food diary is accurate; that it's not obsession, it's just thoroughness. I mean, think about it, if you don't log everything, what is the point? You're logging to figure out your cumulative stats-- how much you're eating total, and what nutrients and stuff you're getting.

And if he says anything that undermines your journey, point it out right when it happens and say it makes you feel bad.