I can't believe no one is talking about this

Options
Domino Light.
Sugar Stevia mix.
You use half the amount.
For example, banana nut bread calling for a cup of sugar…only use half a cup of Domino Light.
That makes a huge caloric difference!

I'm all over it.
My diary is about to have a lot more PASTRIES AND COOKIES IN IT, BABIES.

Replies

• littlelouis
    littlelouis Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Commenting so I can remember this. So excited! I don't know why I never thought of this.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I get the store brand, but I love my stevia baking blend for that reason. (:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that really alter the texture of the baked goods? Anything that creams the sugar and butter together, for example, depends on the sugar for aeration ...
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that really alter the texture of the baked goods? Anything that creams the sugar and butter together, for example, depends on the sugar for aeration ...

Good question...I have only made a few recipes with it...muffin, cake and cookies. I like chewy dense sweets so I haven't done anything too fluffy or light just yet.
    But I haven't tasted any difference thus far.

I plan on making tiramisu with it soon (classically airy dessert!) I will update if it sucks :)
  • CatAMcC
    CatAMcC Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bumping as I love tiramisu
  • salendire
    Options

It's the fat that mostly alters the aeration when beating. That's why low fat creams don't whip as well as full fat ones.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I have an honest question. Does the blend taste more like regular sugar or more like stevia?

I truly hate the taste of stevia, but if it tastes more like sugar, then it's something to consider when I start my next cut cycle.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't substitute my sugar in my baking ever.

Nor my butter.

Imagine what Gordon Ramsey would say.....:noway:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

It's the fat that mostly alters the aeration when beating. That's why low fat creams don't whip as well as full fat ones.
    That's not what creaming is. Not talking about whipped cream, talking about the creaming method, where you beat sugar into butter. The sugar crystals tear holes in the butter to make bubbles for lift. I would say cutting the sugar in half would definitely have a structural issue if you don't replace it with anything.
  • kickivale
    Options
    I wouldn't substitute my sugar in my baking ever.

Nor my butter.

Imagine what Gordon Ramsey would say.....:noway:

Gordon Ramsey isn't exactly my hero.
    Its not that difficult to make delicious fattening food, I like to look for other methods.
    Remember when he released the worst cookbook of the year?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1340355/Gordon-Ramsays-Fatty-Nightmare-TV-chefs-cookbook-voted-worst-year-unhealthy-recipes.html
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have an honest question. Does the blend taste more like regular sugar or more like stevia?

I truly hate the taste of stevia, but if it tastes more like sugar, then it's something to consider when I start my next cut cycle.

I'm with you on that!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Its not that difficult to make delicious fattening food, I like to look for other methods.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1340355/Gordon-Ramsays-Fatty-Nightmare-TV-chefs-cookbook-voted-worst-year-unhealthy-recipes.html

yeah but thats come from the daily mail...
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options

That's not what creaming is. Not talking about whipped cream, talking about the creaming method, where you beat sugar into butter. The sugar crystals tear holes in the butter to make bubbles for lift. I would say cutting the sugar in half would definitely have a structural issue if you don't replace it with anything.

I wonder if using a whipping attachment vs a paddle attachment would fix this if it does have a structural issue. *Shrugs* If i can find my old baking & pastry books I'll have to look into it.
  • kickivale
    Options

No. Thats the daily mail reporting on results from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. They decided he released the least healthy cookbook of the year.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Nice post OP!

I am Insulin resistant and have PCOS. I literally should not have any sugar!

I have tried many kinds of stevia and found the best to be liquid! There are fruit flavors for water and awesome flavors for coffee and baking.

I honestly don't do a lot of baking, but I do use it in pancakes, and it works great!

You get used to the taste, especially when there is no other healthy option! ; )

Good luck with your baking OP! ; )
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I haven't done much with stevia (or similar) but I do sub butter and oil for applesauce or greek yogurt. I have been really thrilled with the use of these ingredients in baked goods. The yogurt gives me more protein in my day and a more filling treat and the applesauce does fabulous things for moisture in cookies, muffins, etc. The cookies I make with applesauce seem like fresh baked for at least 5 days...they don't sit around too long when I make them so I couldn't say longer than that. Most recipes I've tried still use some butter or whatever, but it generally get's cut down from about 1/2 cup to a TBS or 2. Give this a try if you never have. I hardly ever make my baked goods any other way now and I love to bake.

I will have to try the stevia sugar combo! Great idea.
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    i don't like the taste of stevia either but will try anything if it helps!!!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

No. Thats the daily mail reporting on results from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. They decided he released the least healthy cookbook of the year.

"His British Pheasant Casserole made with two birds, smoked bacon and lashings of butter and cream was blasted by the doctors for its contribution to artery clogging." :huh:

Yes, god forbid we eat real food with natural fats that are essential for good health, satiate our appetites and taste delicious. We're so much healthier now that we don't eat whole poultry, smoked bacon, butter and cream...
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

So?
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of stevia. I rather just use 2/3 cup of agave nectar instead of 1 cup sugar in baking. Less calories and tastes great.