Anyone up for a 5k challange?

Options

Replies

• margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I hope everybody has a GREAT weekend :)

Try to get outside or to the gym, turkey day is coming!! The stuffing and pumpkin pie will taste alot better if we pay for it in advance! hahaha :D

~Margie
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Hi everyone!!!

My shoes came in the mail yesterday! So super pumped! I dropped my son off at preschool and went straight away to the gym. C25K begins!!! Week 1 Day 1. W00T! Kpopa, I'm hoping to avoid any injury or further injury by taking it slow and working my way up. I have one knee injury from 8 years ago and just plain horrible legs. I didn't think to ask about the elliptical as far as training goes. I've been doing that for a little while now and love it!!! But according to a friend of mine that runs, the only way to train to run is to actually run...but I'm sure building up endurance on an elliptical doesn't hurt. That's what I've been doing. I'm just thrilled to have my shoes finally and get on that track!! :o)

Yay for your Turkey run Margie! That is awesome! I keep seeing signs for a Jingle Bell Run...I would love to do it but seriously, that is waaaay too soon. LOL!
  • margie_77
    Options
    I'm a spontaneous procrastinator.
    I put things off until I decide it's time to do it, then I want to do it RIGHT NOW!! haha
    I don't know why I thought I would be able to do the c25k thing... 9 weeks? And then waiting all the way until Feb. to do my first 5k?? That's just way too far away! hahaha
    I will still be doing to c25k workouts to build up to being able to run the whole time instead of alternating with walking, but I just can't wait till I'm running the whole thing for my first race! hahaha I know, I have a problem... but knowing is half the battle!
    'G.I. Joe....'
    Sorry, its been along week.. and tonight is 'Lady's Night/ Why all the Rum is Gone' so I'm a little hyper and giddy!
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just going to stick with 24hour fitness. Its less busy and there are more locations. Thanks for checking for me though :)
    I did a search for '5k in las vegas' and it came up. Its at Bunker Family Park. http://www.lasvegasrunningteam.com/ You can sign up on line :)

Cool! I'll check it out. I'll let you know!
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! just needed some support as i start c25k tomorrow! can i get a what what?! lol!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! :)
  • margie_77
    Options
    How did it go?? I rested today, but I will be running about 3.5 miles tomorrow. Trying to get ready for Thursday :)
  • kpopa
    Options
    omg! I DID IT!!! I did my 1st day of C25K yesterday. I think am still on my "high" -- not a runner's high, just happy that I accomplished something that I didn't think I could do! It went so well.

I was kinda bummed because I went out and bought new shoes and new cold weather gear but it was WARM yesterday! :laugh: I still put on my new gear out of spite to the weather! I ended up being too warm toward the end but I still felt great! :drinker:
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Gonna do my 5k on the treadmill tomorrow in the gym. I'm trying to do it 3 times a week and work on my speed. I don't have an actual 5K until March so I should be at a good speed by then.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Gonna do my 5k on the treadmill tomorrow in the gym. I'm trying to do it 3 times a week and work on my speed. I don't have an actual 5K until March so I should be at a good speed by then.

That is awesome!!!

I've been working kind of at my own pace. The c2k5 thing is awesome but I just can't stop and go like that. My body won't let me! LOL! SO I walk for 5, run for 5, walk for 5, run for 5. Right now I'm up to a mile and a half. Then I get off the treadmill and do 3.5 miles on the elliptical. I usually hop off that and go for the cross country trainer but I was sick this weekend and decided not to push it today. I really felt my body saying WHAT ARE YOU DOING? GO TO BED today...lol!

I am for sure doing a run in May but I'm looking for a run to do in Feb/March time frame...still a looking...
  • margie_77
    Options
    I'm just hoping to break 50 min. in this Thursday's run. Then 45 in Dec. for the Santa run.
    When I get to a point that I am running thru the whole race I'll start training for 10k while still doing 5k's when they come up :) crossing my fingers :)
  • kpopa
    Options
    Well, it looks like I might be on a c25k hiatus. I woke up this morning with HORRIBLE shin splints. I've only done 1 DAY!!! So, I did a light jog for about 10 min and then walked a bit. Overall I felt good, no pain while running, but right afterwards I was achey and yucky again. Suggestions?
  • margie_77
    Options
    I used to have problems with shin splints when I ran on the side of the road. If you can find a nice flat place to run.. like a sidewalk or a treadmill. Also, running not on pavement can help.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm in Boulder City and i have been training for a 5k on 12-18. I think maybe I won't be ready but would love to join you in Feb for the Mardi Gras run. I was hoping to do the Tunnel Trail run in March. Would you be interested?
  • margie_77
    Options
    I'm totally planning on doing the 12-18 Santa Run!! If you want to jog/walk it with me, I'd love the company! :) I'll have to look up more details about the run in March, but I'm tentatively in. I need to check the date and the details. I go back to Chicago every March for St.Patricks Day/ my niece's b-day! :)
  • kpopa
    Options
    I used to have problems with shin splints when I ran on the side of the road. If you can find a nice flat place to run.. like a sidewalk or a treadmill. Also, running not on pavement can help.

Thanks mbodine! I realized that it actually might NOT be shin splints. The day following my run I felt fine and wore really bad shoes (as in hard to walk in)...it was the day after that the my shins hurt. I'm thinking I needed to give my running shoes another try before I run out and get a new pair.

I'll definitely try to run on grass too...thanks for the tip!
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I missed my run today
  • margie_77
    Options
    Oh yeah!!!! First 5k done. It's all down hill from here :) The little electronic chip things weren't working, so I don't know my exact time, but I finished somewhere around the 48/49 min mark! I broke 50 which is what I was hoping for.
    Now to get down to 45 for the Dec.18th 5k!!
    Happy Thanksgiving!! :)
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah!!!! First 5k done. It's all down hill from here :) The little electronic chip things weren't working, so I don't know my exact time, but I finished somewhere around the 48/49 min mark! I broke 50 which is what I was hoping for.
    Now to get down to 45 for the Dec.18th 5k!!
    Happy Thanksgiving!! :)

WTG. Keep up the good work.
  • triscuitsmom08
    triscuitsmom08 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for my second 5k this upcoming weekend! (the 4th). I've never ran before in my life, I'm 5'5 and weighed 209 and now I'm at 199 since starting the c25k program 7 weeks ago!! You ladies are strong enough to do it!! It's a lot of fun and if you want I'd highly suggest c25k!! I ran my first 5k on week 6 out of 9 so by Feb you'd be ready!!
  • margie_77
    Options
    I think most of us are doing some version of the c25k hahaha. I ran my first one after week 3. Now I'm just running a 5k or doing 5 miles on the eliptical everyday (depending on how my hips feel). I'm not sure that my next 5k will be 45 min. With only 2 weeks to improve my time, I think that knocking a min off each mile was a little ambitious. Maybe its more realistic to aim for 45 min by my originally planned Feb. run :)
    I have added to the 5k group though... 3 people from work are either going to walk or jog the 5k with me in Dec. since its for a good cause :D woo hoo!!! I did promise them breakfast afterwards though! hahhahaa

Luna, how are you doing? Are you still aiming for Feb? or would you like to jump in sooner? :):):)