I can't believe no one is talking about this

Options

Replies

• DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Isn't it cheaper to buy stevia & sugar separately and mix them yourself? That what I found with the various splenda mixes...
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

"His British Pheasant Casserole made with two birds, smoked bacon and lashings of butter and cream was blasted by the doctors for its contribution to artery clogging." :huh:

Yes, god forbid we eat real food with natural fats that are essential for good health, satiate our appetites and taste delicious. We're so much healthier now that we don't eat whole poultry, smoked bacon, butter and cream...
    HA! I eat all that and worse and always have, a few years back I had a heart attack scare which turned out to be work stress. when the Doctor did all the tests they do (and that I never really had since i rarely go) she asked what I ate because my Choleserol was quite low for my age group. I replied Triple creme cheeses, creme fresh , loads of bacon.... you get the idea. I'm fortunatre that way. At that point weight was less an issue because stress and constant movement kept it off, I changed careers and am more desk bound and tada i'm here lol
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Gordon Ramsey isn't exactly my hero.
    Its not that difficult to make delicious fattening food, I like to look for other methods.
    Remember when he released the worst cookbook of the year?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1340355/Gordon-Ramsays-Fatty-Nightmare-TV-chefs-cookbook-voted-worst-year-unhealthy-recipes.html

yeah but thats come from the daily mail...

No. Thats the daily mail reporting on results from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. They decided he released the least healthy cookbook of the year.

So?

So I don't care what Gordon Ramsey would think of reduced calorie sugar mixes.
    :indifferent:
  • teamtawanda
    Options
    (deleting comment. new to boards. feeling stupid. ignore me.)
  • hillarayray
    Options
    Never really thought of this...thanks for the update and info! :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Domino Light.
    Sugar Stevia mix.
    You use half the amount.
    For example, banana nut bread calling for a cup of sugar…only use half a cup of Domino Light.
    That makes a huge caloric difference!

I'm all over it.
    My diary is about to have a lot more PASTRIES AND COOKIES IN IT, BABIES.

Eating pastries and cookies that taste delish and are made with butter and sugar...... that would be da bomb. and much more enjoyable, I'd think. but then I can't eat them, so I'm jealous either way. I noticed huge texture and taste differences when I used sugar replacements in baking. If you're going to have a treat, why not have the full-flavor version, really enjoy it, and just make room for it in your calorie allowance?
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Also, side note to the train of folks commenting about eating real foods and Gordon Ramsey etc etc etc. That wasnt the point of this thread….I was sharing my eagerness to talk about a sugar blend with less calories. SO…..to each their own, great job, I'm glad you eat butter, whatever works for you, I love bacon too, blah blah blah. :tongue:
  • sbro32
    sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hahah! I hear you, kickivale. I just wish I could bake in the first place.
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    I wouldn't substitute my sugar in my baking ever.

Nor my butter.

Imagine what Gordon Ramsey would say.....:noway:

Its not that difficult to make delicious fattening food, I like to look for other methods.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1340355/Gordon-Ramsays-Fatty-Nightmare-TV-chefs-cookbook-voted-worst-year-unhealthy-recipes.html
    I used to love watching kitchen nightmares but then I found out he got in trouble for not paying his own staff and is a terrible boss to work for. He yells at people all the time for not paying or treating their staff right, so I felt betrayed and just stopped watching after that.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You're going to need to experiment with this idea. The sugars in baked goods are more than just flavor- they provide chemical structure. Reducing the sugar to 1/4 the original amount might result in a lot of deflated treats, or mushy ones that won't set or brown. Frequently you can get away with 1/2 (which is why all the splenda(etc) for baking mixes are half sugar). I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not always going to work.
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    Also, side note to the train of folks commenting about eating real foods and Gordon Ramsey etc etc etc. That wasnt the point of this thread….I was sharing my eagerness to talk about a sugar blend with less calories. SO…..to each their own, great job, I'm glad you eat butter, whatever works for you, I love bacon too, blah blah blah. :tongue:
    Oh and yea I love my stevia. I get a giant bulk bag for $6 at walmart.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It will deffinitely make a difference for the tiramisu! Eggs + sugar makes a very distinct consistency, that you can't get without the sugar..
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Nor my butter.

worst?

someone arbitrarily decided it was "unhealthy"

that doesn't make the book the 'worst' if the food is delicious.

That being said- I don't like stevia- I much prefer just using regular sugar- interested to see what subsitutes you can make with this and make it worth while. I've made some foods subbing it out for honey- and it was okay- but meh- I'd rather just have the real thing most of the time.
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to copy this op onto the recipe board? A lot of people will find it there that will appreciate it that may not see it otherwise. Thanks for the info.
  • 123Pari
    123Pari Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    defo more like sugar....
  • JohnsElan
    Options
    bump
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    How about using the provided recipes which hopefully are already modified for any structural differences the sugar makes:

http://www.dominosugar.com/search-results?p=66
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options

Nor my butter.

Yeah I agree, but I don't usually eat much of what I bake anymore, but I love baking so others can enjoy it. These last couple of weeks being the exception where I've been eating everything I see :( especially chocolate.
  • Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Nor my butter.

Gordon-Ramsay-Angry-Kitchen-CHICKIN-CROSS-THE-ROAD.jpg